The Dark Mod Forums

Mapping Doom 3

Stormbringer951

Advice? I suppose I should look at some stuff for the Doom3 Editor, and then go on to DarkRadiant, but I suppose the place to ask is here, if anywhere.

Storm

PS: Happy New Year, guys :)

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

Best place is the Dark Mod Wiki: Especially Fidcal's A-Z beginner guide.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...e_Start_Here%21

I used to do Half-Life/Half-life 2 mapping, and this is a great start if you're not familiar with Doom 3 like I was.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I suppose I should look at some stuff for the Doom3 Editor, and then go on to DarkRadiant

You can skip the doom 3 editor part. Dark Radiant isn't more complicated than the doom 3 editor, they work the same way. Dark Radiant is just more advanced and has some powerful TDM specific plug-ins.

We also have an interactive documentation for our entities and spawnargs:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/doc/

The documentation and wiki need improving, and any help with it is welcome :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Definitely start with Fidcal's A to Z beginner's guide. By the time you walk through his instructions, you'll be ready to start mapping on your own.

Yes I'd say use Fidcal's guide and look up anything you want to do and just have fun for a while! When I first started mapping way back for HL1 in the 90s I'd spend hours just making stupid things like breakable walls and big enemy fights just things I wanted to see and have fun with. It really helps you get used to the editor and the great part is since a lot of editors are similar like hammer [formerly worldcraft ;) ] and DR its so easy to port your skills from one to another. It took me about a week to get comfortable with DR.

I too, came from a hl/hl2 mapping background. And after using DR, I don't want to use any other editor :rolleyes:

I really wish I could do source engine games with DR. I really want to make L4D maps, but going back to hammer is like AAAAAAAAAAAH (plus they haven't updated their SDK for L4D.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I really want to make L4D maps, but going back to hammer is like AAAAAAAAAAAH (plus they haven't updated their SDK for L4D.
:laugh: All I did was decompile a L4D bsp to find out the entity names. It took a lot of trial-and error, but eventually I got the very basics down in a very tiny map.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I too, came from a hl/hl2 mapping background. And after using DR, I don't want to use any other editor :rolleyes:

I really wish I could do source engine games with DR. I really want to make L4D maps, but going back to hammer is like AAAAAAAAAAAH (plus they haven't updated their SDK for L4D.

I have the exact same motivation and feelings about L4D and the source sdk :P

I also think that with the current game that even if you made a really good map it wouldn't get enough exposure because of the lobby system they have implemented in the game. You can open the server browser but I bet 90% of the people who play the game don't know how to use it.

I have the exact same motivation and feelings about L4D and the source sdk :P

I also think that with the current game that even if you made a really good map it wouldn't get enough exposure because of the lobby system they have implemented in the game. You can open the server browser but I bet 90% of the people who play the game don't know how to use it.

That might be true. It would be sweet if valve implemented a setting you could check like "Join games with custom campaigns" or something.

You can check out some L4D entities listings and other tips on this site here.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Le..._Level_Creation

They're just copy paste notes right now, but valve says once they update the SDK, they'll have more stuff.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|