The Dark Mod Forums

Elite Mercenaries

oDDity

THis is my 'sketch' of the elite private guards. If anyone present can show just and legal cause why this model and this mod may not be joined, let them speak now or forever hold their peace

post-5-1106087010.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

1. I like the shape of the breastplate, and he does have a kind of exotic look to him.

2. The shield is too big for a buckler though...I think that would definitely get in the way of archery, not to mention his halberd. Bucklers were generally less than a foot in diameter. They were sometimes called 'fist shields' because that's about how much size they covered.

Here's an example:

buck1.jpg

And I still think that his sword should be bigger than our sword, just to maintain the sense of inferiority and penile envy our Thief is feeling.... ;)

3. Oh, one other thing. If this is a city watch version, they should probably still be wearing the basic blue tunic, even if it only shows at the sleeves and legs.

4. The helmet. If these guards are wearing helmets that make them immune to BJ they'll have to be more distinct. I've been sketching some different helmet versions today and I'll post a batch tomorrow. I haven't been finding it easy to come up with a good one.

Ok, that's no problem, I dont ant to make his sholed as small as in that pic though. That was a broad sword, this is now more or less long sword.

This is not the city watch elite - the clue was in the opening words of my post 'this is my sketch of the elite private guards' )

post-5-1106088774.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

What do you have against the helmet? If this is a non-BJ helmet it would be ok. For the other guards we should create such a "cap" helmet they also had in T1/T2.

Only thing I don't like about the model is the boots. They look like rubber boots to me. These things you use when you go fishing. :)

And the chainmail loos a bit to even IMO. It almost looks like a sheet metal you can see on custruction sites, but that may just be the texturing.

chainmail.jpg

As you can see on this image, the chainmail is not so evenly and flat distributed. And that was also my experience when I did such a thing for myself. Awfull lot of work that is. :)

Gerhard

I think this helmet is uniqe enough, and aport from nything else elite guards cannot be BJed anyway.

Chainmail texture is hard to get right, the problem is finding good soucre images for the it to make the alpha. The only other way would be to actually model it ring by ring.

post-5-1106089858.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ah, I missed the 'private' reference. The bow threw me off, actually. I thought the private guards would have crossbows, since they were going to be more likely to be indoors.

I like the changes.

As for the helmet, I'll wait and start a seperate thread for that.

I'd love to have some of those halberds in the game, but I don't think we are actually having any (at least not initially) they present several different problems.

I just threw that one in for effect.

THis guy is NOT the city watch, he's the mercenary the nobles hire for private guard duty. These are guys who are also hired by armies to fill out their ranks during battles. THis is what they do in the 'off season'

I was going to have the shield with the family coat of ams on it, but it would be nice to cover up the chaimail as well, since it's hard to get looking right in the game.

You can have a go at creating an elite city guard if you like, kfmccall, and Spring can do the elite builders. It's hard expecting anyone to come up with three different versioin of elite armour.

- Emil Zola

character models site

If anyone present can show just and legal cause why this model and this mod may not be joined, let them speak now or forever hold their peace

Aside from what has already been said, I'll forever hold my peace. Please join them in holy matrimony.