The Dark Mod Forums

Increasing Light Radius of Entities

Springheel

I feel like I should be able to find this easily, but after some time searching both here and on the wiki, I can't.

How do you modify the radius of premade light entities? I'm finding that I can crouch directly under a candle half-way up a wall and be virtually unlit, which is pretty useless.

Easy and we can change the colour (as per the advice given to me by Fids!)

With lanterns and such it is 'light' and with torches and candles etc it is 'flame'.

The two things you can set are light_radius and _color. So, examples...

set _color on flame 0.9 0.8 0.7

set light_radius on flame 250 250 250

set _color on light 0.9 0.8 0.7

set light_radius on light 250 250 250

Edited by Bikerdude

set _color on flame 0.9 0.8 0.7

set light_radius on flame 250 250 250

set _color on light 0.9 0.8 0.7

set light_radius on light 250 250 250

I believe the exact syntax is:

"set _color on flame" "0.9 0.8 0.7"

"set light_radius on flame" "250 250 250"

"set _color on light" "0.9 0.8 0.7"

"set light_radius on light" "250 250 250"

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I don't have time but we could possibly use a new wiki article something like Light FAQ with these plus things like how do you make a light that has a shadow but doesn't fade (it's a special texture but not easy to guess.) and how to do moonlight, sunlight, adjusting projected lights, anything that's perhaps not covered in other wiki articles that are not easy to find the info.

a contribution for said Light FAQ: please mention the noshadows_lit spawnarg that is not listed as an option for many light entities. i had to go treasure-hunting for that little gem for a few of my lights that i didn't want to cast self-shadows, as i forgot the name of the spawnarg.

I also seem to remember some sort of spawnarg like noselfshadow or something, but i can't find any documentation on bloodgate.

noshadows_lit spawnarg that is not listed as an option for many light entities. i had to go treasure-hunting for that little gem for a few of my lights that i didn't want to cast self-shadows, as i forgot the name of the spawnarg.

I don't understand that. What would be the effect of making a light not cast self-shadows?

i have a feeling you understood what I said, but are poking fun at my poor choice of words :D

what i meant is... ahh screw it i'm just gonna post the description from bloodgate:

If set to true, the model of the light holder will only cast a shadow when all attached flames are extinguished. That avoids ugly selfshadows from the attached light, but still keeps shadows from other lightsources to aid depth perception and realism. If set to true, also set noshadows to true for unlit and to false for the lit version.

works with lights that don't use flames as well. the light attached with the model does not cast a shadow on the model itself. very useful. on entities like this, if you just add "noshadows", it makes the light not cast shadows on anything, not just its own model, so you need a different spawnarg like this one.

i have a feeling you understood what I said, but are poking fun at my poor choice of words

You're giving me too much and too little credit, respectively. ;)

If set to true, the model of the light holder will only cast a shadow when all attached flames are extinguished. That avoids ugly selfshadows from the attached light, but still keeps shadows from other lightsources to aid depth perception and realism. If set to true, also set noshadows to true for unlit and to false for the lit version.

Ah, ok. The term "selfshadows" is misleading there. It's a specific term for when models cast shadows on themselves, not when a model casts a shadow on something else from a light that's bound to it.

Ah, ok. The term "selfshadows" is misleading there. It's a specific term for when models cast shadows on themselves, not when a model casts a shadow on something else from a light that's bound to it.

Actually, the term is somewhat correct here, because not only does the model not cast a shadow, it also doesn't cast a shadow on itself (like f.i.the candles cast a shadow onto themselves), in addition to the candle not casting a shadow on the holder (which are two sep. things only if you know it, people might consider a holder+candle as one object).

But you are right, "noshadows" is a better word :)

I'll add the spawnarg to the wiki.

Edit: Done: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Combined_light_entities#noshadows_lit

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax