The Dark Mod Forums

AI Movement Changes Beta

grayman

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The melee guard does not attack me - just runs into me. I've seen an entry in bugtracker entries with similar description...

Don't know what this could be. Was the guard walking/running through a doorway when he ran into you? (By 'doorway' I don't mean an opening in a wall; I mean is there a door involved.)

This must be the area. In the image the nearest 3 doors are in yellow but I don't think the other 3 are near enough to be relevant.

The green arrow is the view east through the doorway into the corridor in the 1st image and the orange arrow the view south inside the kitchen.

The AI shown are at map start not the positions at the time of the jam.

post-400-129703699159_thumb.jpg

Don't know what this could be. Was the guard walking/running through a doorway when he ran into you? (By 'doorway' I don't mean an opening in a wall; I mean is there a door involved.)

I think yes. He is likely one of the guards from the jam. Maybe debugging a save could help? You won't see how he got into such state, but you'll be able to see what is he doing and what his state is.

This must be the area.

Yes, that's exactly the place.

I'm not sure that I can reproduce it. It was rather late in the game - a lot of events happened already. Moreover, I was more like running through the FM killing everything I meet than playing normally...

I think yes. He is likely one of the guards from the jam. Maybe debugging a save could help? You won't see how he got into such state, but you'll be able to see what is he doing and what his state is.

I'm not an alpha tester, so I don't have the map.

Here they are.

The savegames won't work for me. They start me at the beginning.

You're running Windows?

Which version of tdm_game01.pk4 are you using? I'm trying to reproduce the problem with rev 11593, which is the last version I delivered.

The savegames won't work for me. They start me at the beginning.

Provided the savegames are compatible (same class members and save/restore order) you can activate the tdm_force_savegame_load CVAR to prevent the code revision check from rejecting the savegame (which is probably what's happening for you).

Provided the savegames are compatible (same class members and save/restore order) you can activate the tdm_force_savegame_load CVAR to prevent the code revision check from rejecting the savegame (which is probably what's happening for you).

Didn't work.

Must be something else going on.

• 1 month later...

I loved this idea.

It was cool to scout for AI changes.

(Almost a game within a game, like "I spy" )

Any chance of an "AI Movement Beta Part Deux: 1.04 edition" ? :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2) The pathfinding code (95% id's) appears to do the same things over and over. Pathfinding is done every frame, for every moving AI, and many of the calculations done in frame N are unnecessarily repeated in frame N+1. This area needs to be looked at. If we can recover some cycles here, we could spend them on avoiding func_statics.

Is this line of investigation going to be looked at (or currently under investigation) for v1.05 or is there not enough time 'till the freeze?

:)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Is this line of investigation going to be looked at (or currently under investigation) for v1.05 or is there not enough time 'till the freeze?

I haven't begun looking at it, so it won't be in 1.05, which freezes this weekend.

About pathfinding:

I haven't begun looking at it, so it won't be in 1.05, which freezes this weekend.

Also, I won't promise anything, but it might well possible that we simply plugin a different library and use it exclusively, instead of hacking further and further on the 95% close id code.

If you are bored, here is something to read :)

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax