The Dark Mod Forums

No Crouch-Run

gx-force

I don't know what's going on but, crouch-run is actually a fairly loud movement.

For reference: here are the volume levels for walking on wood (from loudest to quietest)

jump_wood 		  2.4
wood_run			1.2
wood_crouch_run		 -2
wood_walk		 -3.6
wood_crouch_walk	 -8
wood_creep		 -11
wood_crouch_creep	 -15

If I remember correctly, these values have changed minisculely since the Saint Lucia demo years ago.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I don't know what's going on but, crouch-run is actually a fairly loud movement.

For reference: here are the volume levels for walking on wood (from loudest to quietest)

If I remember correctly, these values have changed minisculely since the Saint Lucia demo years ago.

Cool. So crouch running IS louder than walking. Can you have easily a list of the speeds with the different moving types? Interesting comparison awaits..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Don't know the multipliers but it's pretty logical: Crouch Creep < Creep < Crouch < Walk < Crouch Run < Run

The difference isn't insignificant either. Maybe ~ 1.5 times quicker to walk than crouch or something like that.

For all that, crouch 'feels' too advantageous to my mind and it bugs me. If I had a vote, I'd second the OP. It may be that tweaking player feedback somehow would hit the sweet-spot, but pruning squat jog altogether would be more satisfying. Not sure what the feature brings to TDM.

It'd also fix the silent and very silly sprint/crouch/bounce exploit.

Edited by jay pettitt

Crouch jumping does need to be fixed, with a bit of practice on your timing, you can move at crouch running speeds while making pretty much no noise at all.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Well, speed crouching is just good for closing small gaps quickly. Would suck to have to toggle crouch off to walk faster a few feet, then retoggle it to not be seen and crouch again.

It might be about the same speed as walking, but your gem stays darker, but it's louder as a trade off. I guess from that point of view it seems good, I was just feeling like they hear me too easy when I just try to close a small gap quickly to BJ.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Was just about to make note of the noise/light tradeoff but you've beaten me to it, old chap.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Well, speed crouching is just good for closing small gaps quickly. Would suck to have to toggle crouch off to walk faster a few feet, then retoggle it to not be seen and crouch again.

It might be about the same speed as walking, but your gem stays darker, but it's louder as a trade off. I guess from that point of view it seems good, I was just feeling like they hear me too easy when I just try to close a small gap quickly to BJ.

Small gaps and everything else.

That's the thing though - there are very, very few occaisions where, ya know, standing up is a good idea in TDM. Black Jacking and running away. Elsewise it's always best to be smoll. Even peeking atop wardrobes is almost always more stealthily achieved by crouching on a nearby table.

Still, its only a small grumble and probably subjective.

jump_wood 		  2.4
wood_run			1.2
wood_crouch_run		 -2
wood_walk		 -3.6
wood_crouch_walk	 -8
wood_creep		 -11
wood_crouch_creep	 -15

I am in complete agreement with, at least, the order of these values from low to high. To get the jump on an enemy AI, it should be a necessity (all other things equal) to stand up and move into position to blackjack. Crouch-running provides speed to maneuver in position behind enemy AI for BJ'ing, however, the sound penalty appropriately mitigates the lightgem bonus while crouching, if not moving on moss or carpet (or other surface types?).

This imposed penalty on crouch-running forces the player to take stock of surroundings and seriously consider standing up and walking behind the AI, so that the player is not heard by the target AI on approach.

I can't hear my own footsteps while crouch running, making me feel silent, but the guard hears me before I am close enough to BJ.

As badcog pointed out, the audible sound of crouch-running is way too low, and misleading to the player. If its going to have a higher value than walking, it should sound louder than walking. Suggesting a bump of the volume for 1.08.

Edited by ungoliant
  • Like 1

also, in the same vein as my last post, I don't remember the exact spot, but I'm pretty sure Fen in at least 1 video alluded to "hypersensitive" guards when trying to crouch-run up behind a guard, and being heard. Probably because he could not audibly hear his footsteps very well, and assumed intuitively that he was moving silently.

• Like 1

also, in the same vein as my last post, I don't remember the exact spot, but I'm pretty sure Fen in at least 1 video alluded to "hypersensitive" guards when trying to crouch-run up behind a guard, and being heard. Probably because he could not audibly hear his footsteps very well, and assumed intuitively that he was moving silently.

This. He did notice this and was confused and then tried walk/standing up behind guard and correctly figured out that it's quieter. But he's a perceptive fellow, not everyone might make that correlation

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Probably because he could not audibly hear his footsteps very well, and assumed intuitively that he was moving silently.

I've gone through and adjusted the player-heard sounds...on most surfaces, the crouch-run was slightly quieter than walking...I've adjusted it to make it equal to or slightly louder than walking. Though personally I can't hear much difference.