10 replies to this topic

#1 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

Hey All,

I'm trying to put together a trailer for my mission and I'd like to use The Dark Mod logo font (Dark11), however it just is not showing up

in either GIMP or in Adobe Premiere Elements 13, but does work in After Effects

I've installed heaps of fonts so I know how to do it. I thought maybe it's a postscript font, so tried to convert it

to True Type font on here: http://www.freefontconverter.com however that doesn't work, probably because it's already a ttf format. 

I've googled to try to find a solution and others have the same problem with other fonts, but none of the solutions seem to work.

Since I do not have After Effects, and I need to use this font, I'm at a loss on how to progress. Surely others here have used this

font outside After Effects and know how to make it work. I'm hoping. 

Here's what I get in both: 

In GIMP 2.8.20 (latest version) - it just shows as the default Arial. 

dark2_zpsl7e8cql3.jpg

Second is in Adobe Premiere Elements 13

dark_zpsdmvmk0ck.jpg

Edited by NeonsStyle, 19 May 2017 - 01:45 AM.

#2 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

How does the font show up in the standard font-viewer in windows?

Does it look like the Dark11? If not, then the converter didnt do his job right.

#3 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:46 AM

How does the font show up in the standard font-viewer in windows?

Does it look like the Dark11? If not, then the converter didnt do his job right.

It does work in Microsofts Paint and shows up properly (thanks to Goldwell for suggesting it). So I'll just have to make

the text in that program and import it as images. Not as good, cause MS Paints text isn't as nice as Gimps or even Adobe Premiere. 

If someone can come up with an alternative I'd really apreciate it, because I'm going to need to use this font many times in the future in other

missions.

#4 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

Is is anywhere in tdm_fonts01.pk4? Fonts from that package install correctly and they work in Gimp as they should, at least from my experience.

Edited by Judith, 19 May 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#5 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

Take a look inside the pk4 mentioned by Judith to review the structure - 7-zip is a good browser and extractor for this.

Try a simple unpack from fonts01.pk4 and rename from font_<24>.dat to .ttf before q3font - basic reverse engineer of creation

[/spoiler]
I've not messed with any of this until I can figure out how to parse the dds for the fonts (i'm thinking nothing but further compressed format for multiple sized fonts, for compartmentalisation. In which case the dds are archives and not dds files... ok... [talking to self].

[/spoiler]

http://wiki.thedarkm...structure#fonts

and to save you a click:

https://web.archive....com/q3font.html

if Q3font d/l link is dead - send me a note and I'll put it in dropbox next week.

// another option is to open the .dat file in 7-zip, or rename it ttf if it's a single, then try to install this rather than use a converter. I'm still puzzling over the fonts in this game. Was more into cracking dos .exe's than anything else in the 90s' - which reminds me - q3font appears to be a cmd window operation.

Edited by teh_saccade, 19 May 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#6 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

oh - also, try inkscape (or illustrator if you have it) - vector not bitmap (ae uses vector, premiere scales bitmap).

MS apps use full character set. Adobe is a bitch for installing and bridging these (same with codecs - hassle to get .gif playing in ae due to quicktime required (no longer supported...). Premiere is probably the most painful, other than captivate.

Edited by teh_saccade, 19 May 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#7 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Thanks Sacs, but no it's not in the tdm fonts pk4. I looked there. There's only all the fonts for the readables. Didn't know about the

vector vs bitmap for adobe, thanks for that. 

I know nothing about fonts. I don't have Illustrator, just GIMP.

Would be wicked if someone made a useable version of the font that worked in all formats. 

Edited by NeonsStyle, 19 May 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#8 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:53 AM

https://www.urbanfon...onts/Dark11.htm

This one works with GIMP, just tried it.

• NeonsStyle likes this

#9 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Thank you Judith, 

https://www.urbanfon...onts/Dark11.htm

This one works with GIMP, just tried it.

Thank you Judith, that does work. :D I owe you. 

• Judith likes this

#10 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

I get just the squares in Sony Vegas also, but when I render the video or preview it, the font is there as normal.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#11 Judith

Judith

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:42 AM

Thank you Judith, that does work. :D I owe you. 

Glad to be of help, and I needed the font too :) (I only had fonts from TDM package installed)

I get just the squares in Sony Vegas also, but when I render the video or preview it, the font is there as normal.

Yup, not sure why that happens, good thing it works in the preview.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users