The Dark Mod Forums

A Few Unrelated Questions

thestemmer

It sounds like you guys have all your bases covered. Somebody said not to get Oddity started on pickpocketing, though. So hey, Oddity, what do you think about pickpocketing? Maybe I can squeeze one more bit of information out of the team before you get tired of me... :lol:

We haven't done much with pickpocketing yet, but IMO, I think we should give very careful consideration to anything more than the simple "get close and frob" scheme. In reality, pickpocketing is probably 90% tactile/feeling and 10% visual. In a computer game, you can't give the player any tactile feedback, so it's hard to control and represent a process that is almost all tactile without making awkward controls and annoying HUD-clutter.

(Yeah I know you can get a little feedback if you happen to have a rumble-mouse, but not a lot of people have them, and that feedback is nowhere near the actual 3d forces you'd be feeling when picking someone's pocket for real)

The same could be said of lockpicking too, but fortunately we can use sound as a mechanism for player-feedback in that case.

Yeah, and another problem is that a big part of pickpocketing is misdirection, which doesn't translate well into a Thief-style game where your biggest priority is not being seen. Honestly I wouldn't think it an important enough part of the game experience to warrant a huge overhaul.

About the lockpicking, as far as we discussed, it is going to be based on real lockpicking, that is, you need the correct torque and pressure on the pins for them to bind....blah blah blah....

Though (again, as far as I understood) there will be the old hold-use-and-pick T2 style thing too.

--Dram

as far as we discussed, it is going to be based on real lockpicking, that is, you need the correct torque and pressure on the pins for them to bind.

Don't get too far ahead of the game...that idea was set aside for future *discussion*, not necessarily implementation.

Don't get too far ahead of the game...that idea was set aside for future *discussion*, not necessarily implementation.

Aye, indeed. I don't think it would be too wise to put that much emphasis on lock picking and detract from the main purpose of the game. It should be fun, challenging but hopefully not a lock picking simulator.

You know you want a mission involving a wagon trail or builder train or something... That'd add another element of challenge - actually getting onto a moving vehicle! Perhaps from a horse or something...

I think perhaps my imagination's running away.

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

While having various factions and groups certainly adds depth to gameplay, why does the DarkMod have to copy Thief so blatantly? Especially since the T3 editor has been released. Personally I am more interested in a generic thief-style engine that lets FM authors create their own settings, whether that is a thief like mediaeval world, a futuristic scif world, modern day big city, feudal Japan or ancient Rome - get the mechanics of the gameplay going, basic characters that can be easily reskinned by FM authors (I don't have 3DsMax, nor can I afford it, so that kind of modelling is out of the question for me unless someone has any suggestions on budget modelling software!).

So if you want to make a mission that sticks closely to the Thief series, with Hammerites, Pagans, Keepers etc, go for it, but also try to think outside the square and create something new and a bit different. You don't HAVE to copy Thief exactly!

That being said, ever since I upgraded my computer, I have been unable to install Thief Gold, and Thief 2 won't run, so if someone want's to remake them with a new and improved engine, I am all for it - I miss the rooftop level in T2, that was the best...

Personally I am more interested in a generic thief-style engine that lets FM authors create their own settings,

There is no reason why you can't do this. However, since we're appealing to thief fans, we want to make sure the tools allow creation of those kinds of missions as well. It's a toolset. Use it for what you will.