6 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Evening

I see TLD is on sale on Steam atm, who has played it and what other games woulf you say this is similar to..? (Im thinking Firewatch..?)

b.

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37249 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

I've probably put in around 250 hours since buying it in December.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

Nice, what would you compare it too, (in addition to the above) what would you say..?

#4 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5626 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:50 AM

Long Dark is really nice. I played a lot the sandbox survival. It is really nice, atmospheric and difficult to start. It is survival game like rust, but without the other players and with a really harsh environment. It has a lot of crafting but no house building. And it has roguelike permadeath.

The story mode was a disappointment. I expected something new and genius like the sandbox survival was, but instead the story mode is a linear do-petty-chores-for-NPCs festival. I mean: blind person says "gimme wood" and then you go get wood. Then they say "gimme food" and they you get them food. Then when you have brought them all the stuff they want a door opens to the next NPC with boring chores. Sigh. More interesting choices would have been fun.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:52 AM

Thata shame about the story mode, but Firewatch was a bit like that and I didnt mind too much.

#6 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37249 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

The story mode was a disappointment. I expected something new and genius like the sandbox survival was, but instead the story mode is a linear do-petty-chores-for-NPCs festival. I mean: blind person says "gimme wood" and then you go get wood. Then they say "gimme food" and they you get them food. Then when you have brought them all the stuff they want a door opens to the next NPC with boring chores. Sigh. More interesting choices would have been fun.

I think the storymode is basically an extended tutorial; at least the first two chapters are.  I enjoyed it, but I'd never played sandbox before.  Now that I have, I can see how the storymode doesn't really offer anything new.

I still think it's valuable for new players though...just getting dropped into survival mode with no help would be pretty rough.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7 Xarg

Xarg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1330 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:43 AM

The first two chapters are supposed to be getting a rework in time for the chapter 3 release based on the feedback they got on them (they are too hand-holdy and fetch-questy currently), but they do function as Springheel noted, as an extended tutorial. I got the game back when it first went early access on Steam, only had survival mode, and had 1 map for it. I think it took me 6 or 7 tries to live longer than a single day. Still playing it all these years later, 530+ hours, and don't regret the purchase. Amazing game, story *hopefully* gets better, but survival sandbox right now is where it's at. Can't really compare it to anything I've played so far, except *maybe* Don't Starve.

edit: Looks like the sale has ended, bad luck to anyone who missed out.

Edited by Xarg, 10 April 2018 - 01:45 AM.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users