The Dark Mod Forums

Oszkár's questions.

Oszkár Winkler

Better take a mission by mission approach and string together the pieces when everything is finished (unless the narrative forces the multi-mission structure). Frobber's KotP campaign, the Rocksbourg series, Sensut's Dracula/Báthory and my missions (which, except for Unbidden Guest, are interrelated and sequential) have all been released piecemeal. Completed campaigns released in one piece have been much less common (T2X, Calendra's Legacy and The Seven Sisters being obvious exceptions). Of course, if the missions are relatively small, a campaign may be easier to do.

Thanks for your advice but as far as I know myself, I always do some minor changes even before my final releases. So it will be a complete campaign, not a "mission by mission approach". :P:laugh:

Winkler Studio: youtube.com/user/woszkar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can I set the damage ratio for a trigger hurt entity?

Hm... I found some variables but when I try to enter, say 26 it doesn't work.

Edited by Oszkár Winkler

I would like to share some thoughts about The Dark Mod: - If the surface of a brush is not exactly perpendicular to the player's feet then there is no "footfall" sound when I jump on this kind of surface. - When I use the cutting tool on a brush, it would be a good thing to generate a vector between the first (placed) cutting point and where the pointer is. This would act like a ruler before selecting the second cutting point. - I couldn't find a sound file for bubbling lava. Did I miss it? - Where are the luminous mushrooms in DR? - Is it possible to disable mantling on a brush or func_entity? - I found a model (some kind of pew) which's legs are problematic. The bottom faces of the legs are a nodraw texture. If I rotate it, looks like a bug. - Please create a "trigger_volume" trigger for us! :) The mapmaker could influence all the sound/voice/music volumes and determine some exceptions in a trigger like this. - Can I create triangle-like bevels? (see the picture) - Can I create a "multi-brush-entity" thing. Say, I build a moving train with openable doors, etc.? How can I enter empty lines into my posts on this forum?

post-3254-125940799377_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oszkár Winkler

hit twice enter for a space.

I'll answer the few Q's I can.

As far as the pews go, they don't have nodraw listed in model viewer under their materials. Could you give the name of the specific pew?

To make an arched ceiling like that look for Komag's patch video tutorial.

I don't believe we have might light mushroom entities yet. Just make a model darkmod/nature/mushroom... You can change add the _color property (under basic) (hit N for entity inspector, right-click, add property). At least I think that's how the color changer works. Then just make a light source for it. (you should probably add the noshadow prop too.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thank you but double enter doesn't work for me. :unsure:

The model is: models/darkmod/furniture/seating/bench_set01.lwo

Update: Or maybe does work double enter? :laugh: (but sometimes it doesn't)

hit twice enter for a space.

I'll answer the few Q's I can.

As far as the pews go, they don't have nodraw listed in model viewer under their materials. Could you give the name of the specific pew?

To make an arched ceiling like that look for Komag's patch video tutorial.

I don't believe we have might light mushroom entities yet. Just make a model darkmod/nature/mushroom... You can change add the _color property (under basic) (hit N for entity inspector, right-click, add property). At least I think that's how the color changer works. Then just make a light source for it. (you should probably add the noshadow prop too.

Edited by Oszkár Winkler

That's actually a shadow mesh, not nodraw. It's just ot simplify the shadow for those models to save performance in game. You won't see it in game.

If you want to not see it in editor go into the filter menu and check shadow textures. Same for green collision meshes on some objects.

I couldn't find a sound file for bubbling lava. Did I miss it?

I haven't heard any of them too.

Is it possible to disable mantling on a brush or func_entity?

it is possible for func_static but not sure for func_entity. what's it btw? anyway, use is_mantleable 0. But don't forget that player can jump over to seat. So it'll be better to surround it with a clip then convert to static and use the spawnarg mentioned above.

I found a model (some kind of pew) which's legs are problematic. The bottom faces of the legs are a nodraw texture. If I rotate it, looks like a bug.

you must be talking about bench_set01. Yes it has a texture problem on its back.

Please create a "trigger_volume" trigger for us!

Not sure I understand correctly. what kind of exceptions?

Can I create triangle-like bevels? (see the picture)

do what baddcog said :) visit http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/ for the tutorial.

Can I create a "multi-brush-entity" thing. Say, I build a moving train with openable doors, etc.?

the doors must be seperate from train's body. I think it's possible to implement moving all of them at the same time, but you may get low fps because of this. So instead of move a train, make the floor texture move ;)

Edited by SiyahParsomen

I think it's possible to implement moving all of them at the same time, but you may get low fps because of this.

Having multiple entities moving shouldn't have a noticeable impact on performance. But I'm not sure of the best way to set up a train.

If your entire mission takes place inside / on top of a moving train and there's no way to get off without dying, then a skybox (actually sky portal) trick could work, yes.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Good point. Yeah, I reckon you could use a func_forcefield to prevent the illusion of movement from being broken when the player falls out of the train.

I really want to play this mission now. :laugh:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Not sure I understand correctly. what kind of exceptions?

Example: There is a fighting scene in a room (player against monsters). The room is filled with a "trigger_volume" trigger. It lowers or rises all the sound effects in the room (sword hits, blocks, footsteps, voices etc.) but the developer can make exceptions, like for the music entity of the room. The player can still listen to every sounds in the room but the awesome battle music is louder. With this technology we can also create deaf-rooms (no sound at all).

I really want to play this mission now. laugh.gif

If I remember correctly, there was a mission like this in The Circle of Stone and Shadow. It was amazing with the old Dark engine. :laugh:

And even Blood 1 had a level like this!

Edited by Oszkár Winkler

That's actually a shadow mesh, not nodraw. It's just ot simplify the shadow for those models to save performance in game. You won't see it in game.

The problem is: I can see it in game...

Oh, that model doesn't have polys on the bottom of the legs. Saves polys but probably best to have them as authors like to tip stuff over wink.gif

When I looked in the editor I didn't look closely enough. The model veiwer doesn't cull polys, so you see the back faces and I was seening the inside of the legs and thought the bottom had polys.

Oh, that model doesn't have polys on the bottom of the legs. Saves polys but probably best to have them as authors like to tip stuff over wink.gif

When I looked in the editor I didn't look closely enough. The model veiwer doesn't cull polys, so you see the back faces and I was seening the inside of the legs and thought the bottom had polys.

Um... okay. :rolleyes: So what's next?

One part of my map is always leaked, no matter what I do to prevent it...:unsure: Only that particular part of the level. I checked everything and looks fine. :blink:

How can I tell DR to show me the leak spots? I know CTRL+SHIFT+K but it doesn't work.

Did you try pointfile? If it doesn't work too, then you should filter all entities of that part of your map, and copy the map then save to a new file. Then try to compile it. If there isn't any leak, then you have problem with entites. check them.

What is pointfile?

Did you try pointfile? If it doesn't work too, then you should filter all entities of that part of your map, and copy the map then save to a new file. Then try to compile it. If there isn't any leak, then you have problem with entites. check them.

I tried pointfile but there is no "*.lin" file for my map. Is it generated somehow?