The Dark Mod Forums

Oszkár's questions.

Oszkár Winkler

it depends on directory where you work. I assume that your map is under darkmod/maps folder. Uninstall the mission in the New Mission menu, then dmap your map in the console. lin file will be created automatically. Besides, please read other topics. here you can find the answer too. http://modetwo.net/d...10276-dmap-leak

Edited by SiyahParsomen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on directory where you work. I assume that your map is under darkmod/maps folder. Uninstall the mission in the New Mission menu, then dmap your map in the console. lin file will be created automatically. Besides, please read other topics. here you can find the answer too. http://modetwo.net/d...10276-dmap-leak

I tried it but I still have no .lin file. I created a dmarg line so when I start TDM, it automatically compiles the whole map, then starts it. I also gave it a try to run dmap in Doom 3 colsole within the game, with no positive response. Finally I found DR's colsole but it says there is no dmap console command. :(

Winkler Studio: youtube.com/user/woszkar

Upload your map and I can take a look at it. You can find a leak easily with a little deductive reasoning. (see below)

Enclose large portions of your map with a BIG "caulk" brush. Dmap in TDM. If it successfully compiles, the leak must be somewhere within that big caulk brush. Try again with a slightly smaller "caulk" brush, dmap, etc.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Upload your map and I can take a look at it. You can find a leak easily with a little deductive reasoning. (see below)

Enclose large portions of your map with a BIG "caulk" brush. Dmap in TDM. If it successfully compiles, the leak must be somewhere within that big caulk brush. Try again with a slightly smaller "caulk" brush, dmap, etc.

I managed to erase my leak-situation for now. Hm... Are you telling me, if I place some brushes in my level and these brushes create a "hole" (not in the void but in the level's territory) which is not "accessible" by the player, Doom 3 thinks it is a leak?

Nope, not quite. I believe what you just described is called an "internal leak", not a real leak, but like an accidental 'hole' connecting two rooms.

Fidcal put it really well: Your map is like a submarine, and "the void" is like the ocean. Doom 3 will only complain if there is a real leak where the void comes flooding in. So long as your entities (lights, models) are completely encased inside a sealed "submarine", it makes no difference whether or not the player can reach it.

Edit: By the way, DR's console is actually a python console for you code-heads.

I tried it but I still have no .lin file. I created a dmarg line so when I start TDM, it automatically compiles the whole map, then starts it. I also gave it a try to run dmap in Doom 3 colsole within the game, with no positive response. Finally I found DR's colsole but it says there is no dmap console command. :(

strange. I can't think any other reason that'll cause the problem. but I'm glad you overcome it somehow.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I want to create a crushing trap like we could see it in one of the Saw films (two moving walls crush the player). I saw somewhere some kind of 'crusher' tag for movers but now I cannot find it... please help.

Edited by Oszkár Winkler

Any idea? :)

entity>darkmod>Func>Movers>func_door has this property, don't know how it exactly works though.

One of the wiki entries for making an elevator (there's more than one) talks about setting it up to crush the player if he stands under it, so look that one up. I believe it's the original one about making an elevator out of a door. And I believe it's just one property you put on a mover to do the job (so you could look at the inherited properties and maybe find it on your own; but try to find that wiki entry if you can.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that is a problem. They should not be touching eachother.

I see. Visportals are regions for the engine to render but they also influence soundspreading, yes? What if I have a large map and I create only one visportal for one single room? Only that room becomes fully "active"?

Close. "Visleafs" are regions. Visportals are exactly like they sound: portals between visleafs (or doorways or windows or openings or pathways, however you wish to describe them.) A visleaf is created by making places "sealed" with worldspawn and visportals.

Making two or more visportals meet at one point can be okay. But if two visportals meet in the middle of a doorway or window, you're going to get a crash during gameplay.

The engine determines what visportals are open (what visleafs are 'active') if you can see them or if they are hidden behind worldspawn.

• 2 months later...

No. Its visportal surface edges must all be surrounded by worldspawn brushes. Not void, not entities; not patches. The worldspawn brushes must be surfaced with 'solid' materials (eg, stone, metal, wood but not water, not clip, etc. etc.)

Oh, yeah I guess they can touch along their edges, like a cube made up of 6 visportals. But they shouldn't cut across eachother's faces.

Making two or more visportals meet at one point can be okay. But if two visportals meet in the middle of a doorway or window, you're going to get a crash during gameplay.

do these 2 ideas conflict?

i have a largish mansion exterior in my mission that is... highly detailed, oddly shaped with many many brushes and patches, and worse, surrounded by a single big old skybox. it's a standalone mansion on a large property in an upscale district, so there are no adjacent buildings for half a mile (and would likely only be part of the skybox).

Thus, i have been pondering, is it possible to create a thin visleaf 'cube' where 2 sides consist of a mansion wall, and the ground, and the other 4 sides are very large visportals? the intent here is to put each major wall into its own thin visleaf that will shut off rendering upon line-of-sight, so only 2 full walls will be visible at any given time. I worry about this very much because the roof is so riddled with tall steeple structures that i think i may need to make everything in the exterior of the mansion above 3rd floor into its own visleaf, just to keep the exterior lower floors separate from eachother, if thats even possible.

sound propagation will not likely be a major factor as the outside of the mansion doesn't have a lot going on in terms of audio except the ambient noise/music, so i'm only worried about rendering too much at the same time.