The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

I just don't know. And I don't know the technical explanation. All I can do is draw a diagram how it was in Builder's Influence, Upstairs room:

Inside that room the whole ceiling was beams. All the beams were one big func_static. It's tris showed outside even with the door correctly visportalled and closed. Solution was to split the beams into two groups. The leg of the L shaped room and the foot. So the beams were now two func_statics. Tris no longer visible.

Maybe that principle applies to your situation?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if it's leaves are particle leaves and if their 'box' (the volume defined for them to move within) clips into the outer wall then likely the tris for the whole thing will show on the other side of the wall. All you can do is move it further away from the wall.

Self lit windows:

Evening, Im trying to modify a self lit windows texture, and so far I have changed the shader def so its lit, but what i would like to do is change the colour of the self lit light. Is it the RGB volue I have hightlited in bold that I need to change and if so how..?

textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark_slt

{

glass

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark_ed

specularmap textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_s

bumpmap textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_local

{

map textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark

rgb 0.5

}

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend gl_dst_color, gl_one

map _white

rgb 0.40 * parm11

}

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend add

rgb 0.15 * parm11

}

// TDM Ambient Method Related

{

if (global5 == 1)

blend add

scale 1, 1

red global2

green global3

blue global4

}

{

if (global5 == 2)

blend add

program ambientEnvironment.vfp

vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump

vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular

vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1

fragmentMap 1 textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_local // Bump

fragmentMap 2 _black // Diffuse

fragmentMap 3 textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_s // Specular

}

}

Hmm...

"fragmentMap 2 _black // Diffuse"

Try removing the Ambient Method section, this texture "lights itself" so it shouldn't need it...

textures/darkmod/window/ roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark_slt

{

glass

qer_editorimage	textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark_ed
	specularmap	textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_s
	bumpmap		textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_local

{

map	textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark
		[b]
red 0.5
green 0.5
blue 0.0
[/b] 	
}

{	
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		_white
	rgb		0.40 * parm11
}

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	add
	map		textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark
		rgb		0.15 * parm11
}

}

Alternately you could simply use a Blend Add stage, ad maybe ditch those Parm11 portions:

{

blend add
map	textures/darkmod/window/roundtop_diamond_pattern01_grey_dark

red 0.5
green 0.5
blue 0.0

}

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Ah that worked! thanks dude.

Gee - wish I'd thought of that. ;)

No you don't need to dmap. Just use reloadDecls and you can see the results of changes to shaders almost instantly while looking at the surface in-game.

when d3 goes opensource i hope that rgb values can be pushed from 0 to near-infinity, with a resulting cap of 1.0 of course. As is, you can only make things darker. pain in the butt. (yeah i know you can invert with blend modes, but thats even more of a pain in the butt trying to inverse what you want on the color wheel).

edit: wait, is that what blend add does..? beer makes brain hazy.

Edited by ungoliant

Got another issue, that had been fixed already.....:angry:

I'm getting overlapping sound locations and I can't see how/where its happening, the inside is sealed from the outside and all VP have a IL separator on them.. I have flown around inside with r_showportals 1 to see if any non-vp'd parts of the map were leaking... I have gone as far as exporting the while map sans-entities into new map and then tried to force a leak to the void.

Any other ideas..?

Hate to say it, but the Grayman "keep cutting your map in half until you find the culprit" method seems to be the best option... :unsure:

Edit:

LOL

@Ungoliant:

Most good light faking uses blend multiply (blend blend) but that of course carries the risk that if any value in the blend texture is lower than the surface illumination it will darken things.

Blend Add is addition, it will ALWAY brighten the surface.

:)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Got another issue, that had been fixed already.....:angry:

I'm getting overlapping sound locations and I can't see how/where its happening, the inside is sealed from the outside and all VP have a IL separator on them.. I have flown around inside with r_showportals 1 to see if any non-vp'd parts of the map were leaking... I have gone as far as exporting the while map sans-entities into new map and then tried to force a leak to the void.

Any other ideas..?

Each location you go into spits out in the console (you're probably aware), best thing I can think of is walk through every portal and see which area it says you are in.

Is it possible one portal isn't working, thus causing the sound locations on either side to be messed up?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

good idea, but the console output never changes, regardless of which portal I traverse. The other approach is yielding results though, I created a big block which blocked of half the map, and Ive been reducing block by half etc etc, and I'm am down to a corner of the map that contains the problem..

Hmm, I wonder if your main entity is pointing to the correct portal entities then. It should be saying something similar to 'crossed into portal zone 'dining room'

I know when I first messed with that system I had a bit of back and forth mess going until I got them sorted out right.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm testing Builder's Influence with 1.06 beta.

The console output when I moved away from the start area says:

Changed location from '' to 'info_location_3'.

The ambient 'snd_mansion' for location 'info_location_3' is now playing.

So you definitely should be getting info like this when move from location to location.