The Dark Mod Forums

Community Requests

Serpentine

You can select a bunch of func_staics and/or objects, hit N (get a blank box), type in Noshadows 1 and it will be applied to all selected items.

makes it alot easier than typing it once, then selecting one at a time and hitting add,(or OK, or whatever the button is) which is still easier than typeing it each time.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ORL-right! I love those FMs where a builder kicks in the door and comes through with a chain saw! "Builder take thee, heathen!"

I only used it on easy difficulty because I thought if they were too scared/cheap to do Normal or Hard, it's only fair they get the cheap slasher-flick finale. :laugh:

It makes a point though. There are some sounds you just know are never going to be part of the main mod, so it's good to know how to mine places like YouTube and freesound.com so you can do all sorts of things you're not "supposed" to.

You can select a bunch of func_staics and/or objects, hit N (get a blank box), type in Noshadows 1 and it will be applied to all selected items.

Wow this is a time-saver I didn't know about!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yes, I only recently discovered this myself. I often copy properties to say half a dozen similar items - or rather, once it's in the bottom input box then just select another entity and hit that tick button. Then I found you can do that with all selections even though nothing shows of course in entity inspector. Gotta make sure of what's selected though!

• 2 weeks later...

I rather enjoy the media browser. In fact i'd like to request a button in the surface inspector that opens the media browser directly to the texture applied to the current surface. (i dont like the current system where you can only browse textures for the current surface applied in the surface inspector).

Request #2: would it be too much to ask to clean up and organize some of the textures used for stock TDM models into appropriate places in the textures/darkmod folder? it can be a real son-of-a-gun trying to hunt things down. especially if you don't know exactly what you're looking for, and want to browse.

Request #3: also regarding TDM models, I think it would be super awesome mega-cool if some of the parts of current models could be used separately, example: doors. some of the hinge, backplate, lock models incorporated into larger door models would be very nice to have on their own, so people can put them on custom brush doors.

The variety of entities/models/prefabs/textures readily available to this end is woefully slim. If i wanted to put in a handle for a custom brush door, theres really not much available to put it on, and just sticking it into the door brush looks... bad.

Maybe models with multiple useful pieces inside them could be incorporated as prefabs of several individual models slapped together, for customizability? then things like hinge/backplate models could be skinned separately, allowing for a huge variety customization options, without having to put together 1000000 skins for "door104x56". you could make custom brush door of any size with one of 100 door textures, with any number of 20 skinned hinges, plus one of 5 backplate models with 10 skins each (just an example of the possibilities).

Now that theres an .ase export script, I think this is the way to go. you can have all that customization and still slap the thing into 1 model/entity.

Request #4: moar door handle models! doorknobs, latches, etc. w/ skins. ftw.

And in order to implement Requests #1-4: Request #5 - more talented team members. :D

Request #4: moar door handle models! doorknobs, latches, etc. w/ skins. ftw.

There are actually alt door handles named handle_iron_rotate for decorative doors, but they can't be used well because the handle is wider than the length of the part that connects it to the door (although you can add a brush and bind it together). :wacko:

post-2023-128881892743_thumb.jpg

Some basic variety to door handles may also not actually be too hard to do - say, same model but brass/rusty/black iron skin. But someone has to do it and contribute it (or at least upload it to Fidcal's site/Serpentine's planned repository).

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

tried that one, model is too small, and i didn't feel like doing the rotate hack because i wanted shadows on it to work. currently using the gold double mansion handles, but there's no backplate to it. anyway that whole post says all i wanted to say on the subject already.

But someone has to do it and contribute it (or at least upload it to Fidcal's site/Serpentine's planned repository).

see request #5 :laugh:

Edited by ungoliant