The Dark Mod Forums

Community Requests

Serpentine

This thread at TTLG is as good a place as any for inspiration.

Sadly they are mostly low res and low quality images, sourcing ideas is quite a lot different to looking for source art for textures - ideally you dont want to have to make the texture from scratch, but sometimes you do :(

I'll have a look soon. Finding it hard to give examples because what I have in mind is pretty generic. White or orange plaster with dark wooden beams in varying patterns.

I should learn to do this myself in GIMP but I pull my hair out trying to use it.

The higher the res and the flatter, the better - that way if the texture components are all there you can just cut it out and with some work get it looking nice - ready to make normal maps and whatever else. I wouldnt ever really recommend GIMP as its interface is somewhat horrible. For me its Photoshop or nothing, but I understand its closed to some people.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly they are mostly low res and low quality images, sourcing ideas is quite a lot different to looking for source art for textures - ideally you dont want to have to make the texture from scratch, but sometimes you do :(

The higher the res and the flatter, the better - that way if the texture components are all there you can just cut it out and with some work get it looking nice - ready to make normal maps and whatever else. I wouldnt ever really recommend GIMP as its interface is somewhat horrible. For me its Photoshop or nothing, but I understand its closed to some people.

If you need photographs of tudor buildings, you just have to ask. I live near a lot of them and I can supply an endless stream of them. (Already have a few hundreds on my disk)

Here is an album with some examples (these were not meant to be photo sources, so they are more of the artistic variety :)

http://bloodgate.com/galleries/Ritterfestspiele%20Satzvey%202009/index.html

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Tels: Hell I'd like to see that whether I end up using them for inspiration or not. Reference/artistic/texture-ready/whatever. You take some great shots

Thanx :)

(and clearly have some kickass equipment).

Er, not, it's an "old" Pentax K100D (from about 2008?) and a cheap Tamron superzoom (where everyone says these are no good :)

Wish I had the money for this:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-GH1K_11002_7000000000000005702

Even tho noise levels are higher due to smaller sensor, it is paid of by having HD video and being much lighter (my kit weights close to 1Kg, so I often leave it at home). OTOH Panasonic pulled the stunt of "use only our overpriced chinese battery packs, not the much cheaper from-the-same-factory third-party ones" :(

Anyway, I go out and do some inspirational shots and upload them :) Gimme a few days tho I need a new card read, lost my camera cable :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

• 4 weeks later...

I've done UV texturing for Oblivion, Morrowind, and higher poly models for rendering, but I have no idea how these brushes and patches work in this game at the moment. I imagine it would be more difficult than texturing static meshes, since I'm assuming those are oriented toward more generic tiling, whereas I'm used to doing detail work for individual models, based on their UV template. Does any of it work that way here? If so, then I can probably take on a request or two now and then.

One thing I'd really like to do is make a new texture for the bathtubs (especially the interiors) and that very boxy hedge I've been seeing.

Edited by Tch

• 1 month later...
I need some white sand for a beach in the vert contest. closest thing in TDM to beach sand is just plain old nature/dirt/dry_dirt01. anyone capable of texturing got some free time..?

If you look around CGTextures and find something that catches your fancy and would tile well (or better yet, is already tiled), send me a PM with the link and I will create it for you.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

I would like to request a new chain single link model.

Since these already exist:

chain_highpoly_single, chain_highpoly_long, chain_highpoly_short (plus short and log 'bent')

and

chain_highpoly_small (plus 'bent')

I hope to see this created someday:

chain_highpoly_small_single

Would the creator of the highpoly chain models please make the single link of the small chain available?

T'would come in very handy :)

Edit: In the mean time I have created a single link with brushes which looks pretty damn close to the links on the chain_highpoly_small model. It would still be nice to have a model since my entity looks a bit more angular and not as rounded as the model.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

PS - you know you can just resize the chains, via the following args -

rotation:

1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

You just modify the '1's for the width, length, height etc. but be catful when using this as shadow textures sometime get fubared. And if you do it on tables, it screws up there solidness, so you have to but a nodraw solid brush inside it etc.

If if you like I can make you a small hi-poly chain(that will replace the 2D chains in the model list) and upload it here, just drop me a pm.

A chain from patches is better than brushes and then export as ase. There is a giant chain made in Heart as a guide. If you've played it you know where. Might be able to shrink it easy or at least refer to its construction.

PS - you know you can just resize the chains, via the following args -

rotation:

1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

You just modify the '1's for the width, length, height etc. but be catful when using this as shadow textures sometime get fubared. And if you do it on tables, it screws up there solidness, so you have to but a nodraw solid brush inside it etc.

If if you like I can make you a small hi-poly chain(that will replace the 2D chains in the model list) and upload it here, just drop me a pm.

Awesome! I had no idea about resizing models.

Thanks, I'll try the resizing method first. Though I have reproduced the single link in the smaller size using brushes > func_static and the appropriate rusted iron texture. I may stick with that since it is nearly a perfect clone of the original highpoly chain (rusted).

I've done UV texturing for Oblivion, Morrowind, and higher poly models for rendering, but I have no idea how these brushes and patches work in this game at the moment. I imagine it would be more difficult than texturing static meshes, since I'm assuming those are oriented toward more generic tiling, whereas I'm used to doing detail work for individual models, based on their UV template. Does any of it work that way here? If so, then I can probably take on a request or two now and then.

It's an old post but...

The basic way to texture stuff in editors is to slap it on with a tiling texture and align by coords. DR is no different, but we also have the 'texture tool' which is basically a uv window. Open it up and drag verts around just like in 3dsMax.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I would like to request a new chain single link model.

Since these already exist:

chain_highpoly_single, chain_highpoly_long, chain_highpoly_short (plus short and log 'bent')

and

chain_highpoly_small (plus 'bent')

I hope to see this created someday:

chain_highpoly_small_single

Would the creator of the highpoly chain models please make the single link of the small chain available?

T'would come in very handy :)

Edit: In the mean time I have created a single link with brushes which looks pretty damn close to the links on the chain_highpoly_small model. It would still be nice to have a model since my entity looks a bit more angular and not as rounded as the model.

If you can get your brush/patch thingy in DR as perfect as you want, then you can export it to ASE yourself:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10906-ase-export-script-for-dark-radiant/page__view__findpost__p__221783

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/scripts/

If you can get your brush/patch thingy in DR as perfect as you want, then you can export it to ASE yourself:

http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__221783

http://bloodgate.com...dm/pub/scripts/

Hmmm... I have latest SVN of DR, 1.4.0 built 3 days ago and I have python 2.6.5 on my system. But not a thing happens when I select a model and choose ASE Export...

Running darkradiant from a console has no verbal output, so I can't see what's going on when I try using ASE Export.

Know of any way of debugging this?

Edit:

If I run it in DR's Python Script Input dialog, I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 300, in <module>

File "<string>", line 250, in execute

IndexError: list index out of range

Ok, I tried it on something much simpler it was actually designed to be used on ;) and it gave me the filename/save path dialog. So it's probably not the script's my fault it didn't work.

Edited by PranQster

I also put the import_ase.py into my ~/.blender/scripts but get nothing listed for ASE in Blender > File > Import. Same thing goes after putting the .py into /usr/lib/blender/scripts

:(

Hmmm... does the import script require blender 2.5a?

Yes it does... but how about 2.53.0 beta?

Using Blender 2.53.0

Now I can export an .ase just fine. But when I import it into blender, nothing happens. Nothing gets added to the scene, no error, nothing. The scene list on the right is set to All Scenes and just lists the default Blender scene items:

Render Layers

World

Camera

Cube

Lamp

If I do a new scene and then import, nothing happens with it either.

Update: Import ase stays disabled in the addons options of Blender 2.53.0

Edited by PranQster