The Dark Mod Forums

Blender for Beginners

Fidcal

Yes, that's why I use this script. It puts in the ASE path to image file on disc. It is often similar to material name so sometimes you need to just remove part of the path and add 'base' at the begining in ASE.

It's only a model...

Scaling doesn't affect UV map. There's a space in line you posted but that would result in displaying default "shader not found" texture in Radiant so I'm guessing it's a forum typo.

Can you post your .blend file?

It's only a model...

Ok. I opened your file. Without touching anything I exported it with ASCII Scene (.ase) v0.6.2 using these settings:

post-2001-126842058581_thumb.png

I changed line inside ASE to: *BITMAP "//base/textures/darkmod/wood/boards/rough_wood_grey02"

And it works.

It's only a model...

I see the origin is in the wrong place yet I positioned it precisely in Blender. I hate to ask but, does the model origin have to be at 0,0,0 in Blender's 'world'? Seems strange since there are no co-ordinates on Blender's grid.

I've tried moving it in Blender with the grabber. I note that there is a x,y,z values at top left. When I move the whole object to 0,0,0 it is not at the world 0,0,0. I have trouble even seeing the r g b grid lines so have saturated them in the shot below. The difference looks about the amount it is wrong in DR so I'll try to postion the origin over the r g b grid lines but why does the x, y, z values differ? Seems kind of clunky.

post-400-126842569295_thumb.jpg

One more thing. By default all edges are smoothed after exporting. In the script there's an option to smooth selected vertex groups. You put vertexes into group, name it accordingly and they will be smoothed or not. I never managed to make it work. However, there's some other method.

You can select edge you don't want to be smoothed and press "v". This will separate edges of connected faces but they will stay in the same position. You can also select whole faces and press "y" to split them from the rest.

It's then best to select whole model and press "set smooth". You will see how the model's going to look in game.

It's only a model...

I'll leave smoothing for now as it sounds more advanced.

To make a collision mesh do I just make another simple object in the same .blend file and give it common/collision? Is it simply the texture that tells doom3 it has a cm so it works as a moveable? Could I just clone the chair and retexture it or must it be a totally convex single shape. I guess I should load a known moveable chair and take a look.

I delete the start cube and import a victorian dining chair lwo but I cannot go into edit mode. If instead I keep the start cube I can go into edit mode but only to edit the cube. Do I have to somehow create an object name to receive the import? And if so, why does it not import into the cube object?

You need an object selected in object mode (right-click on it) before you can go into edit mode on that object.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

i used darkradiant to make my collision map, although I made it for the playing card I'lled been trying to make in blender, which I finally made after I made my inverted chair, as in I have the thief in my maps leaving a calling card at places he robs to rustle up more work with decerning clientelle.

in darkradiant you load in your model, select the collision texture, draw a shape around the model, select the collision textured box, in file menu save it as a collision map, and select your model for the model it should be associated with, then it saves a file to the directory where your model is with the name of the model and with and extension of .cm . thats the basic of whats written on the wiki.