The Dark Mod Forums

Candle Quenching

aidakeeley

Not sure if this is new to 1.01 or not but I hadn't come across it before (either because I never did it this way before or didn't remember to 'notice')...

Anyway, something that happened twice in the new mission, "Builders Influence" (the only mission I've really played under 1.01 {I did do a quick run-thru of "Living Expenses" as a test of the update}), is that when I extinguished and then re-lit a candle I was unable to put it out again until I put it down and then picked it back up... not a big deal under the circumstances I was in but might be some day. Who knows? I honestly and absolutely do mean that this isn't a big deal and, hell it may be by design, but I thought I'd mention it as it might be a hint as to the solution to some other glitch.

Same thing, btw, went for the new lantern in the room with many new objects (Grecian urns, glass vase...); I turned it on and was un able to turn it off until I put it down and picked it up again.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

That sounds like a real bug, will see if I can reproduce it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The sound didn't actually start working until 1.01 (a bit unexpectedly), so we haven't had any time to adjust it. A smaller sound would definitely be an improvement.

The sound didn't actually start working until 1.01 (a bit unexpectedly), so we haven't had any time to adjust it. A smaller sound would definitely be an improvement.

The sound shader in question is:

machine_steam01
{
       description "Made by mrDischarged"
       sound/ambient/environmental/machine_steam01.ogg
}

Guess we can just copy the definition and add a volume keyword?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

That would do for a quick fix. Ideally I'd like to find a more appropriate sound.

Ok, I've uploaded a new soundshader and sounds to SVN-- "tdm_candle_extinguish"

Don't know for sure where that sound is called, however.

Ok, I've uploaded a new soundshader and sounds to SVN-- "tdm_candle_extinguish"

Don't know for sure where that sound is called, however.

It is in the candle defs like:

"snd_extinguished" "machine_steam01"

We need to replace all these lines, except when they are for torches and fireflames :)

Edit: Done.

Well, I did some messing about. I slaughtered my way back into the room I mentioned above...

The room with the new lamp in "Builders Influence".

It appears that this all has to do with manipulating objects.

Let's say there is a lamp (or candle, but the lamp is easier as it doesn't need an external flame to re-light -- so a lamp)...

1. Pick it up (frob).

2. Turn it on (use).

3. Turn it off (use)... fail! (sound like that of failing to drop a body...)

4. Manipulate it away from you (roll mouse wheel, in effect extending your arm, the arm that hold the lamp).

5. Try again to turn it off (use). The lamp 'centers' itself from all of your manipulation... aha... pulling back in to medium distance... still failing to turn off.

6. Try again to turn it off (use)... success!

7. Repeat steps 3-6 only with the point being to turn the lamp back 'on' in this instance rather than 'off'.

8. LatherRinseRepeat steps 3-6 for consistency (to demonstrate a consistent pattern).

So, there it is if anyone wants a clearer picture of this semi-buggy behavior.

If not, then that's that and I'm glad BikerDude brought up the sound thing.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696