The Dark Mod Forums

Grass edge 4: Vergemaker

Fidcal

Yes, I have a general purpose patch that covers anything. There are 3 basic types now: edges (2-sided external, tile lengthwise, using grass textures), paths (2-sided internal, tile lengthwise, stone or dirt textures), and patches (4-sided, non-tiling, to cover up any visible tiling hard ends of the first two, grass textures.)

I now have 4 paths in my FM using 4 different methods! (not planned that way!) One is stone and grass path on grass. No real blending but it's tolerable. I spent a lot of time making it before all this so I'm reluctant to convert it. It's a maybe. Then there is a model path with vertex blending. Now a dirt path surrounded by two 2-sided externals. Plus one 2-sided internal dirt path.

[EDIT] I should add that the internal and external type are technically the same except one has a wide fuzzy edge and a trim edge on the other side whereas the other has matching medium fuzz on either side for a single path. In fact both could be used for the other type to give variation though the path type would then be fuzzy one side and trim the other. But it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the same alpha map might work for both. It would be a torus fuzzy on outside and inside. Used with grass texture the outer fuzz would blend with the existing grass. The inner fuzz would be bent up the tree on a patch and be fuzzy grass/mossy look. If used with dirt then the outer fuzz would blend existing grass to an inner ring of dirt. The inner fuzz would be the dirt bent up the tree.

[edit] and one would work for any diameter tree or post or pillar or whatever, possibly even as small as a lamp post. But if not I might need to do two or three sizes.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay but I've now compiled and committed these grass edges and paths for the next update. This is likely a month or so away so if anyone is desperate I can also upload to my contributions download if you want.

These are all textures. I've not done prefabs at this time and I'm not sure it's worth it. The final versions consist of three types:

1. Basic grass edge for all three grass types (easy to add to if we get new grass textures in the future.) This is an endless 2-sided grass strip that you overlay over the hard join between grass and any other surface. You need to scale it approximately to the same as the grass but it does not need to be aligned with the grass particularly as its grass edge side blends in. You only need align the visible grass edge where you want it. There is a lot of space on this 1024 x 1024 tile, virtually half. This makes it easier to align (I tried using a 1024 x 512 tile without the space but however I adjusted and tweaked it was a nuisance to align.) You can also use this edge up against a wall by bevelling that edge a tiny amount up the wall. You can see many examples in the little courtyard in Biker's St. Alban's cathedral.

2. Grass patch. This is like a woolly bath mat. Place it over alignment errors, path ends, or just as a stand-alone grass patch.

3. Instant paths. These are endless 2-sided strips but they are the reverse of the above. They consist of many dirt and stone textures with grass blade alpha edges that blend into any grass texture. Just drop a patch onto any grass surface and give it one of these path textures and you've got a path with a soft edge. Width is limited to texture scale is the downside but at least once you've made the path you can stretch it sideways somewhat within reason. The long ends of these paths are hard so either you end them at some other surface like another path or doorstep or alternatively drop a grass patch over the end. I have provided all that seemed appropriate of our current dirt and cobble floor textures but it is relatively easy to copy one of those and make a new type if you need it. This path type might also work with materials other than grass to soften the edges but they are not random crumb; they are rough grass blade alpha. But you find dirt on straw or dirt on dirt stone on dirt might work I don't know.

When would you use one rather than another? The edges are more versatile and are not limited to just paths whereas the path types are quicker.

You can bend and twist both in all 3 directions so you can have a winding concave path with a dip in the middle up a curving hill. But the path type you cannot really make them go narrower or wider because the patch itself is the path whereas with the edge type they form a path by surrounding some other surface.

Depends on demand. I just got sick of it so needed a break. I've been chasing grass edges through about 4 threads and more months than I care to remember. Hope to get it all down for the next update at least.

Which is a shame you have to do all this work, once the source is release (if it ever does get released) some proper alpha masking techniques can be implemented.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

That's OK. It was an itch I had to scratch. I'm just pleased there is something useable at the end of it as it should be worthwhile for at least a year or two. If later some improved blending can be produced from the source and make this method obsolete then that's fine by me.

I wanna say one thing to all of you guys. You are amazingly productive and creative! I can admire your work and learn a lot. Btw I finally made my first steps towards the dark radiant.(and Master Builder knows how hard it is for me after unreal engine!) ehm I was wondering are there any mappacks with fanmissions editor files so I could study them? I like to work on examples.(I know it's a little bit off topic...)

I wanna say one thing to all of you guys. You are amazingly productive and creative! I can admire your work and learn a lot. Btw I finally made my first steps towards the dark radiant.(and Master Builder knows how hard it is for me after unreal engine!) ehm I was wondering are there any mappacks with fanmissions editor files so I could study them? I like to work on examples.(I know it's a little bit off topic...)

Any map that you download off the missions site (http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/missions.php) you can unzip (pk4 file is a zip file) and look at the maps in the editor with everything the author did.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I wanna say one thing to all of you guys. You are amazingly productive and creative! I can admire your work and learn a lot. Btw I finally made my first steps towards the dark radiant.(and Master Builder knows how hard it is for me after unreal engine!)

Thanks. :) Hope you've found the A-Z starters guide? http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here%21

• 3 years later...

Wow that's great. Be great if we had a similar thing for coal heaps as well.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/