The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone else play Tremulous?

lost_soul

This is a multiplayer game based on the open-source Quake 3 engine, where there are two teams: the aliens and the humans. The goal isn't just to kill the players on the other team: both sides have a base that they must protect and/or rebuild. Your objective is to fight your way into the enemy base and destroy their spawn points.

Yesterday I was having fun as a "dretch" (the tiny alien). I was hanging out on the top of a bunker and when I would hear human footsteps run by, I would silently drop down behind them and bite them. :) Thief may be fun, but it is even better when you sneak up on targets that are based on real intelligence, not some AI code. You can't just keep using the same trick over and over again or attacking in the same manor when playing against real players. As the dretch, you make no noise unless you jump, and you can run around on walls or stick to the ceiling!

This game rewards thinking and strategy more than games like Quake 3. After playing Tremulous, Q3 just feels boring and stale. Since it is open-source, there is no account creation required, and it is as simple as unzipping and starting the game.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I think the coolest thing is that bases don't HAVE to be in any one location. All of the components that make up a base can be freely destroyed and moved to a new part of a map. It isn't uncommon to see desperate bases set up in air ducts, hallways, stairwells, etc. The developers should have exploited this more by having a mode where when the game starts, no one can attack anyone else. The first two minutes could be dedicated to building up the bases.

I tried it some years ago.. played a few games and came to a simple conclusion.

It is way too fast. I don't have lightning reflexes anymore. Too much running and gunning or wild jumping to get a headbite. Too fast for thinking any strategies or tactics.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

From my experience, stealth in multiplayer is really hard to do right. I tried thievery UT, but it just didn't feel right. The only game, that managed to catch the stealth theme properly was the multiplayer mode of splinter cell 2 (or 3?). It was quite nice actually. We had some cool (and shocking) moments at the LAN parties back in those days. Nevertheless, that game does sound pretty interesting. Maybe I'll give it a spin some time.

I played it. Have not noticed any stealth elements :laugh:.

The faster you kill enemies - the more points you get and the sooner you can upgrade. That's why slow sneaky variant is not useful there. Tremulous is mostly action game - the game about running and jumping around :wacko:. And there are usually several gurus who build the base (if newcomer tried to build a base that would be a disaster).

When you're the dretch, stealth is a great tactic. They're the size of a headcrab, but they only get 25 HP. :) I personally find it better to attack targets while they're unaware in this scenario. Also, I see tyrants creeping sometimes to avoid giving away to incoming enemies that "yes, they're a tyrant with 400 HP, and not a dretch with 25". When humans have evolved, they can buy radars that make the stealth much harder though. I personally have always hated any kind of target-identifying radar in FPP games.

Oh, if you like online stealth gaming, try left 4 dead2 in versus games and be sure you play in the infected team.

The basic idea is to stay hidden and suddenly attack with all your infected buddies to wreack havoc among the survivors. Then you hide again and lurk until the next opportunity arises.

But yeah, it is an action game with a tiny stealth element.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 months later...

Google not working?

http://tremulous.net/files/

my religion does not allow me google

anyway thanks,I download and play it

didn't like the game,marines didn't have flashlight,reloading attack and running too fast.Nexuiz is better for me

Next time I will try game called Warshow which is based on Q2 modified engine

Proceed with caution!

Have you tried Urban Terror? The game is a cross between Quake and Counter-Strike, combining the best aspects from both with a little more realism added on top. It is great fun till all hours of the night.

All of the levels have at least two paths to take, many have more than that. That means there's always a way to get rid of pesky campers. I only hate one map in this game. The rest are always fun to play.

Edited by lost_soul