Flower

Brutal Legend

Pac-Man

Super Mario Brothers

The Secret of Monkey Island

Myst

World of Warcraft

Edited by jaxa

Neither Thief, nor System Shock included. Very irritating. I would also have imagined that at least one of the Elder Scrolls titles or Deus Ex 1 would be one the list, and as far as "art" of games is concerned, Crysis definitely should be considered. I mean it's not such a great game in itself but from the artistic standpoint it is still the best looking game released so far in my opinion.

It's a strange list in a number of ways, in the games put on and those left out, and even in which version they picked. Bard's Tale 3 wasn't as innovative or influential (or good) as Bard's Tale 2. Where is Another World? And yeah, they didn't have the Holy Trinity of FPS's golden age -- Deus Ex, System Shock 2, & Thief, which were very influential in the development of 3D gaming.

And BTW on that critical transition from 2D to 3D, THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMENT in the visual and cultural development of games, they don't have Ultima Underworld (1st 3D world rendering), they don't have DooM (1st 3D world that was a cultural explosion; inexcusable!), they don't have Virtua Fighter (1st 3D polygonal AI). The ONLY game at that transition they have is Tomb Raider, and it was arguably the least innovative and influential of the 4 in terms of 3D tech & art (though 2nd in popularity).

Well it's voting, so it doesn't even have to be consistent. But since it was looking at innovative & influential visual styles & tech, they really should have had curators selecting them based on the actual history and dev-culture of games, like they do for any other exhibition. I mean, they should have treated it like they would art of any other era, from ancient Levant pottery to postmodern assemblage, and grounded it in real academic research and an understanding of the culture. Having a vote makes it just look like a populist stunt, which is probably exactly how they thought about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'd also like to see Dragon's Lair up there. That was a very cool game, though pretty difficult. Had an art style all it's own, hand animated scenes.

I also saw a couple of Sega games in arcades quite awhile back. A space cowboy and a ninja fighter game. They never went far, but artisticallly were pretty amazing. The case was a flat top, and the characters were holograms standing on top of the screen.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

you can add feedback about what you think, my feedback about so many missing milestone games that changed the way games played and worked got deleted after 10 minutes. I also got feed back something about not being an american citizen means my feedback is not valid.

although why is the apple computer not mentioned anywhere, its like it never existed.you could run games on the apple, there was big rivalry between apple and atari computers, although I think the atari computers are missing as well.

Edited by stumpy

• 10 months later...