The Dark Mod Forums

Serengrove Assets

Fidcal

Andrew Hill has given me permission and I am converting some of his models from his Serengrove mod (mentioned over at ttlg by MoroseTroll) for use in Dark Mod.

post-400-130678977746_thumb.jpg

Some of them are not of use and some need tlc with the textures so I'll do them one by one. Some may have problems.

This first one is a ragdoll swinging sign. We've already got some signs (one shown at the side for comparison) but this one is a different design so gives us more choices. Ironically its width makes it chains fit our hangers perfectly but the top link is the wrong way round! So I'm making a patch hanger for it. I've also removed the text he had burnt into the texture and used a plain texture and am doing a prefab with one of the sign text guis. It will work with any of them of course. So you only need type in the entity to change the text.

post-400-130678978885_thumb.jpg

PROBLEM: The ragdoll sign is spawned its own height lower. This is not user friendly as you have to place it in the map high so it is spawned at the right place! The same is also true of a ragdoll banner that blows in the wind. If there is anyone that knows of a quick fix then let me know. Is there anything in the md5mesh or md5anim I can change easily that will correct the offset?

I hope Andrew isn't too annoyed... :unsure:

Serpentine already got permission for the Serengrove assets:

http://modetwo.net/d...p-inspriration/

(I wish Andrew would make a Dark Mod mission... his voice acting is tops! :wub: )

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I hope Andrew isn't too annoyed... :unsure:

Serpentine already got permission for the Serengrove assets:

http://modetwo.net/d...p-inspriration/

Mmm... I do now vaguely recall that thread but not the name so I never connected. I was kinda hoping someone else would do this as I've got too much to do already. What's the situation Serp? Did any of the models make it into TDM? Any not? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Oops - sorry for the delay, back now.

I went through some of them and marked off good/bad assets, but then found out that almost all of them lacked normalmaps and such, another issue is that a lot of the more 'ohh this is nice, we could use it in a lot of places' type items are not sealed (i.e you can see holes from some sides). So I guess I pretty much did nothing after all! :/ I do like the animated curtain mesh as well as some of the furniture.

Anyway, since we have permission for use - I'd have no problems with things being added from the pack, however I would like to make sure that the assets which we pull across in piece meal are 'in good order', so if you're moving something over please just let me know so that I can check it out. I have no plans to do a mass import at this time.

Hmmm, just beware that not everything you see in the map is made from models, you may well need to export quite a lot of stuff from rather fiddly brushes.

@Serp: Yeah I started to realize it was more work than I thought so I've not had time to do much since. The ragdoll banners would probably have to go on contributions website as I don't think TDM assets should be 'buggy-unfriendly' like they are.

The straw model probably can be ignored. I'm currently developing a new straw texture plus crumb edge version.

Anyone want to check out Nosslak's link? I'm a bit pushed. :)