The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

I made an accented chars font according to the codepage on the wiki. Here it is:

ftp://djriff.homeftp...versal_test.zip

Is it what you're looking for?

I have to look at it, but how did you do it? Did you build a TTF font, then used the font converter to convert it to the D3 format?

As I wrote elsewhere, this is ok for Russian (as everything needs to be translated for it anyway), but might (might!) not work for the Western fonts, because all the old characters (a-zA-Z etc) need to be a pixel-perfect copy (e.g. the width and skip need to be the same) of the old font, or the readables/menus/whatever will shift in width, which might lead to cut-off texts somewhere in a mission.

As for mac_humaine, I will put in your updated version,but it will only appear in v1.08 due to the cut-off (we have to stop somewhere, and sadly, the translation stuff is only to 95% done - but at least the basics are there :)

One more question: The "stone" font we use for the HUD looks different than this one from your russian set:

post-144-0-28618200-1322076030_thumb.jpg

Is this ok with you or did you do this one as a placeholder, too, and want to replace it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I have to look at it, but how did you do it? Did you build a TTF font, then used the font converter to convert it to the D3 format?

As I wrote elsewhere, this is ok for Russian (as everything needs to be translated for it anyway), but might (might!) not work for the Western fonts, because all the old characters (a-zA-Z etc) need to be a pixel-perfect copy (e.g. the width and skip need to be the same) of the old font, or the readables/menus/whatever will shift in width, which might lead to cut-off texts somewhere in a mission.

Ah, I see. Then we can try the following:

1. Leave old *_0_24.dds (and *_1_24.dds if needed) as they are.

2. Create new *_2_24.dds file containing only accented characters.

3. Merge two *.dat files with new and old character mappings. AFAIR, q3font can convert them to text files and back which makes the task easier.

The price will be one half-empty .dds file which may result in one more .dds file for the game to load, but I think this process will be much easier than painting characters in a raster graphics editor.

One more question: The "stone" font we use for the HUD looks different than this one from your russian set
I've made it from the TTF font which I downloaded DarkMod site long ago. The date of the archive is 03.11.2009, so it may have changed from that time. Is there a TTF file for the "Stone" font you use currently?

Ah, I see. Then we can try the following:

1. Leave old *_0_24.dds (and *_1_24.dds if needed) as they are.

2. Create new *_2_24.dds file containing only accented characters.

3. Merge two *.dat files with new and old character mappings. AFAIR, q3font can convert them to text files and back which makes the task easier.

The price will be one half-empty .dds file which may result in one more .dds file for the game to load, but I think this process will be much easier than painting characters in a raster graphics editor.

No, I was probably a bit unclear. The DDS is not the problem at all - in fact, I have modifed/hacked the DDS files for the current western font (the font patcher allows one to do this safely :). It is the fontImage.dat file in the range a-zA-Z0-9,.:+etc that must stay exactly as it is.

If you use q3font, and convert to text and then back - some characters like "e" (or their spacing) sometimes change (rounding errors?).

Our font_patcher.pl utility ( http://wiki.thedarkm...le=Font_Patcher ) works around this issue.

The beauty of this is that we have here one file that takes "a" and copies it to "áàâä" etc. so you can with only one batch file create placeholders for all the accented characters. That alone makes "Kn[]ppel" appear as "Knuppel", which is not correct, but already a lot better - and it keeps the rest of the font intact :)

Also, the readables we have only use the 24 point font - so only modifying this one might be enough for them. (I only added accented characters to our menu in 24 and 48 pixel variants).

Another "problem" is that if you want to make a glow or bold variant of a font (maybe because it is used in a briefing with a white glow), then the characters MUST have enough space around them. (I did this a bit wrong in our Carleton font, so I probably need to shift a few of them again). However, the q3font (and /or font exporter) utility have the tendency to place the first character row at exactly 0 pixels from top - which does not work that way as the glow will be cut off. And since you cannot control where they place characters (they tend to leave way too much space, exact the opossite on what I did), this doesn't really work out that way.

I will write some more documentation over the next days on the wiki how I patched the fonts but the above article should give you a start.

I've made it from the TTF font which I downloaded DarkMod site long ago. The date of the archive is 03.11.2009, so it may have changed from that time. Is there a TTF file for the "Stone" font you use currently?

I don't know. Anyway, after looking at it again, I think it doesn't look so different - and it is used only in Russian, anyway, so it can stay as it is.

Again, thank you for all your work!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Okay, I have NO idea how this could happen. But 1.07 needs a hotfix for the french translation NAO. I DON'T know what the hell is going on but I can tell you this ain't the latest version, this ain't in proper shape for release, but this IS bad. VERY bad. Full of the noob mistakes I corrected first thing when I came back. And if that wasn't bad enough 4shared screwed my upload so I'm back to step 1: correction of Briareos' goofy (putting it lightly) translation.

Is the way to hotfix still to create a tdm_x pk4?

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Well, Tels told me that he is probably offline for the whole December because of his ISP (unless he decides to get himself a mobile Internet stick), so this issue will have to wait until he gets back online. Sorry to hear that things are bad with the French translation. I'll check the German version this weekend, to see if anything was goofed up while compiling. However, during beta-testing the German version, me and Tels found most of the obvious bugs and fixed them. Hyeron, can you name a particularly bad example and what it really should look like?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Anisotropic filter(-ing) -> Filtrage anisotrope (atm) -> Filtrage anisotropique (correct)

< Prev -> < Prec (atm) -> < Préc. (correct)

Failed to download mission (or mission download failed, whatever) -> Echec de téléchargement (atm) -> Échec de téléchargement (correct)

Bloom -> Eclats (Bloom) (atm, TOTALLY nonsensical) -> Bloom (correct)

Next item (inventory item?) -> Obj. Inv. Suiv. (atm) -> Objet suivant (correct - I mean, THREE abbreviations in THREE words? Gimme a break)

Standard Gamma -> Standards Gamma (atm, nonsensical) -> Gamma Standard (correct)

CD Key -> Clé-CD (atm) -> Clé CD (correct) - sure, this one is minor. Still.

On/Off -> Activé/Eteint (atm, also: lacking the É) -> Activé/Désactivé (correct)

Difficulty settings are all but b*llshit to anyone half sane.

and so on, there are dozens such things in there. DOZENS. Want a diff when I'm done? I'll gladly provide. Half the corrections I brought are gone. Even, it seems, some corrections to my own new strings. My upload is screwed since 4shared's update and now the link points to Conquest: Divide and Conquer's translation, and I deleted the temporary files after the final upload. This is a joyful day indeed. ><

Oh. And that's not counting the bad formulations (?) of a big, greasy handful of sentences, putting all the GUI elements either in nouns or verbs and not "oh, here's a noun, here's a verb, who gives a f*ck?", replacing occurences of the same item/gui element/whatever so that it says the same across the board, changing paquetage (which is only used - RARELY - for goddamn linux packages) to paquet to talk about the PK4's, etc. I pray to the gods it doesn't get uglier than that. It's not all MAJOR problems. But it's a TRUCK of minor errors with a handful of major ones tossed in. Which is just as ugly.

I feel sullied by having my name plastered just above THAT. Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but this translation - this game - means an AWFUL lot to me. I may have left, but seeing half my work go down the drain thanks to someone who clearly never did this before, grinding through it all again and facing this is... Meh. Gives me a bad image. Gives the Mod a bad image. Bad for everyone.

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Thanks. I'll work through it ASAP and upload a fix in two or three different places. Once is bad enough. :|

- Arab proverb

Anisotropic filter(-ing) -> Filtrage anisotrope (atm) -> Filtrage anisotropique (correct)

< Prev -> < Prec (atm) -> < Préc. (correct)

Sorry to hear that it is that bad (I couldn't tell French from Czech except counting the number of different accents they use :(

As for the mistakes: It might be that I screwed up updating the translation at some point - I did use scripts - because there is no way I was gonna manually comparing a few hundred strings everytime a translator did send me an update :) And there were so many updates that I might have simply aplied the wrong one or forgotten one. It's a shame that you couldn't test it earlier - hopefully for the next versions tests are MUCH easier than with v1.06->v1.07.

Also, for the missing accents, in the very first versions, we removed them (because the font had no such characters), and it might be that in some cases they were not properly re-introduced - lilekely also a screw up of the script matching them back again.

My apologies for that!

As for the update, for some reason I still have internet tonight, but it probably is gone tomorrow. You can still email me (nospam-abuse@bloodgate.com), or PM me the update (as diff, please) and yes, there are plans to make a sort of "add-on" update (or just replace the files on the mirrors so running the updater would update them - this is unclear atm how we do this).

There is another change (a russian fonts needs updating), so the update will happen, anyway.

Bw, I have saved all your updates to my harddisk, maybe the file you sent in is still in it?

-rw-r--r-- 1 te te 12091 2011-10-08 15:44 ./french.lang_2011-10-08.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 te te 12100 2011-10-09 22:20 ./french.lang_2011-10-09_2.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 te te 12091 2011-10-09 11:56 ./french.lang_2011-10-09.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 te te 933 2011-10-21 21:21 ./missing_french_2011-10-21_2.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 te te 1613 2011-10-21 20:28 ./missing_french_2011-10-21.zip

However, as 7upman said, I expect to be offline until somewhere 8..10 dez (not sure which). And no, I am not gonna pay 20€ a months for my internet addiction - the translation work for v1.07 is on-going since July or so, there was plenty of time to fix it before and this will have to wait from my side. ;)

Btw hyeron, thanx for all the work and Thanx for the commitment! It is good to see someone caring for quality that way!

Can you upload french.lang_2011-10-09.zip, french.lang_2011-10-09_2.zip and missing_french_2011-10-21.zip so I can have a quick look at them? Easy enough to tell where they stand.

EDIT - Just saw that last line. I'm not particularly committed as you could see - too much RL stuff happening and so on. But what I do I try to do well. As we all do, methinks. ;p

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

Can you upload french.lang_2011-10-09.zip, french.lang_2011-10-09_2.zip and missing_french_2011-10-21.zip so I can have a quick look at them? Easy enough to tell where they stand.

The files are all available under http://bloodgate.com/tmp/ (you can't see the directory content, but adding the file name should load them)

The same happened to the portuguese translation, Im afraid... The script thing I mean - there are quite a few instances of missing translated text, a couple of mistakes and display glitches. Many pieces of text are too long and overlap each other or their respective parameters (in the options menu for example), but I expected that as there was no way I could tell it before testing the whole thing in game (made a few notes as to how to really cut them and simplify); to "Quit" the game is translated as "Desistir" for some reason (To give up), I'm pretty sure I had it as "Sair" (to go away/out). Quite a few of the automatic messages like Loading X%, Mission Loaded Please Wait..., the "flavour messages" and tips in the loading screen, are all still in english even though they have translations (everything is translated, apart from a few very specific in-game technical messages); and accents and special letters like "á" or "ç" are not rendered in game (they show as squares, in the HUD).

We are almost there, though! It was pretty cool seeing the whole thing in my language. :)

Edited by RPGista

The files are all available under http://bloodgate.com/tmp/ (you can't see the directory content, but adding the file name should load them)

I said it already: I love you. No homo.

I'll be checking that later today, will upload a pk4 or just the strings with instructions again when I'm done with 'em.

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

MoroseTroll also has found quite a few mistakes. He posted an updated russian.lang in darkfate, and when I did a compare between the TDM russian and his new russian lang file, I noticed quite a few errors that I can't remember to have noticed during testing.

Looks like we have a massive case of diff dungoof for all translations here. ^^

- Arab proverb

The Czech language is looking fine for me in game.. There are some minor mistakes (for example the world Acquired stands alone as a string, so I didnt noticed that it will be used in this sentence: You acquired xxx in gold (or somthing like that) and because of that I used a slightly different word than the one I should use for this sentence).

But all at all im pretty satisfied.

I made a note about the translation on czech TDM forum, so if another users will find some mistakes Ill update them.

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

This will take longer than I thought. I advise all translators to have a length check of their file. Adding up the main lang and the "missing strings", I fall TWO HUNDRED strings short of the english version. WTH is this mess? Oo

Seems a lot of strings have changed places since the last version, some were removed, others added... Anyway, it won't hurt to have a look. I'll have a hotfix PK4 ready in... say about an hour.

Tels: against which file should I diff it?

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

strings/all.lang - the changes go in there, anyway.

And yeah, a lot of things changed, but now after the release things will be way more stable - we can no longer shift strings etc.

I can create you a new "missing.txt" if you want, these have not been updated for a while because almost all translations where nearly complete, anyway.

PS: For some reason my internet access still works. I have no idea why :o ISPs here are weird, the new one hasn't even acknoledge the new contract (except saying "it is ordered, please wait"), and I highly doubt they will install the new line and send me the new hardware until Monday, as they planned :(

MoroseTroll also has found quite a few mistakes. He posted an updated russian.lang in darkfate, and when I did a compare between the TDM russian and his new russian lang file, I noticed quite a few errors that I can't remember to have noticed during testing.

I don't have access to this. As for russian I am not sure that the absolut latest changes made it into the final package, things do get hectic in the days before release.

strings/all.lang - the changes go in there, anyway.

And yeah, a lot of things changed, but now after the release things will be way more stable - we can no longer shift strings etc.

I can create you a new "missing.txt" if you want, these have not been updated for a while because almost all translations where nearly complete, anyway.

No problems, length is fine now. ;)

Plan right now: release the hotfix right away - http://kainou.fr/upl...otfixfrench.pk4

There, at least players may stuff that in their folder and have something watchable while I double-check for moved strings that don't fit and so forth (shouldn't have many problems, I caught most of them right away, it would seem), and diff it.

EDIT - And done. Same link. Minor problems solved (such as "Spare A key"). Now for injection in all.lang and diff :P

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

I don't have access to this. As for russian I am not sure that the absolut latest changes made it into the final package, things do get hectic in the days before release.

I sent you MoroseTroll's russian.lang via e-mail. Hope you can get this working.

Hello,

I have merged the French update (the diff did not apply cleanly, so I had to apply a few dozend changes manually - hopefully I did not miss anything) and the new updated mac_humaine font for Russian.

The russian fixes are NOT yet in in, 7upman I cannot handle a .rtf file of the russian.lang file - please re-send this as a "diff -u" from the all.lang file. I need something I can apply as a patch, not the final russian file (which is auto-generated and gets overwritten, anyway :) If this is not available, then I guess I need to use a script to figure out which strings where actually changed :)

http://bloodgate.com...te_i18n_107.pk4 <-- put this file into your v1.07 darkmod folder.

Note: If you have a file named "tdm_x_hotfixfrench.pk4" or "tdm_x_lang_test.pk4", then delete these files, as they would interfere and should no longer be nec..

Please test someone that the french now is better?

Also here is a screenshot, I think we need to make a "Carleton Condensed" font which slims down some of the overly wide characters - the texts are really cramped with the right side:

post-144-0-07929900-1323003523_thumb.jpg

There is a mockup inlined at the top - it seems making the widest characters 1 pixe smaller alone would already achive quite some space without making the font look to cramped. And it should also be possible to make it so that only certain languages use that font - the GUI *should* accept "font "#str_012345" instead of a hard-coded name. That way French could use that font, while English and Russian use the normal one. Or so I hope :)

Aaaah, so if I get it right the spacing problem would have to do with the new font? i.e. when I translated the settings "High Quality" wouldn't fit, I'd have "igh Quality" on screen. Changed to "Extra". Hopefully it makes enough sense and fits nicely. Anyway, I'll have a shot at that pk4 and spread the news if all is well. :)

EDIT - About that shot, it has always been, and will always be, a problem with French: we use such long words and formulations... I could only do my best so settings and their state didn't overlap (could have cheated and used "Mêlée" f.ex., but it's rather ugly). :)

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

Sorry for the double. Feel free to merge.

Just checked. Two new errors appeared, and fixed two forgotten accents. Nothing major. Mailed you both diffs. With those in, it should be fit as far as I'm concerned. :)

EDIT - Oh wait. I'll send you a second mail in a little while, it's now or never to fix the post-mission screen. Didn't have it when I translated, and the key to the stealth score is overly long. Almost forgotten about that. Won't post an update here, so check your mails. ^^

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

Aaaah, so if I get it right the spacing problem would have to do with the new font? i.e. when I translated the settings "High Quality" wouldn't fit, I'd have "igh Quality" on screen. Changed to "Extra". Hopefully it makes enough sense and fits nicely. Anyway, I'll have a shot at that pk4 and spread the news if all is well. :)

No, the "new" font is exactly as wide as the "old" Carleton font (that was the entire point of writing a new font patcher and the many hours I poured in to create a font-patch-command file :)

The reason why some strings are not fitting is that the old GUI files had a more or less random spacing on strings, sometimes they fit the English version very tightly, sometimes they were just randomly wide or copy&pasted from elswhere.

So if you translated a string from "AAAA" to "BBBBBBB" the latter might not fit, giving you the "cut-off somewhere" effect.

If you have a specific string that is too wide, then we can do two things:

* (easy) change the GUI file to make the place a bit more wide - it depends where this is, of course, not always there is the space. I have done it wherever I was, but I might have forgotten it somewhere.

* (lots of work) create a new Carleton Condensed font and use it in the settings menu. I guess eventually I will do this, but not today :) And it will only gain us so much (like 10% or so)

Sorry for the double. Feel free to merge.e

Just checked. Two new errors appeared, and fixed two forgotten accents. Nothing major. Mailed you both diffs. With those in, it should be fit as far as I'm concerned. :)

EDIT - Oh wait. I'll send you a second mail in a little while, it's now or never to fix the post-mission screen. Didn't have it when I translated, and the key to the stealth score is overly long. Almost forgotten about that. Won't post an update here, so check your mails. ^^

I checked these in and updated this file: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/tdm_x_update_i18n_107.pk4

Thanx!