The Dark Mod Forums

Siege Shop Redux

PranQster

16 members have voted

1. 1. Mission upgrade underway. You would most like to see...

• Lighting optimization
    • The town looks lame, please improve it or get rid of it
    • I found the aesthetic audio odd, out of place, or annoying
    • Make the mission harder
    • Make the mission easier
    • A shrubbery!
  2. 2. I know lighting and brush optimization needs to be done, what else?

• Less AI, but with more complex paths
    • Lose the lantern bot
    • Upper floor is lame/boring. Please fix that
    • Dungeon looks like an afterthought, please make it better
    • Please break up that extra-long lower hallway, it's an FPS killer!
    • I have another suggestion (post it below)

Siege Shop (redux) has entered Alpha stage. I still have some decorating to do outside as well as lower hall and dungeons. Also, a re-design of the barracks floor is in the works.

More importantly, FPS has been greatly boosted outside, on the lower floor (all areas), and in the dungeons as well. AI pathfinding still needs work as well as some minor (I hope) tweaks to the lights. Lantern Bot is still up in the air... might tinker with it tonight.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great !

but dont forget : DO NOT convert all support beams in 1 func_static (like in first version)

1 support beam construction should be 1 func static.

my english is fucking awful,so let this picture explain (my paint skills isn't much better than my english,so i hope it explain at least something) : (1 func_static is 1 in red circle,brown lines is visportals )

15086467.jpg

top image is wrong

bottom image is correct

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

Update:

• The lighting is almost done (until beta testing) and it is greatly improved.
  • Many visportals added and/or fixed. FPS is greatly improved throughout the mission, especially in the lower hallway. The outside area may give some low FPS for some players, but it has greatly improved too.
  • The barracks floor (upper) renovation has begun. Much yet left to do there, but my creativity just dies whenever I work on that floor.
  • The lower halls are almost done... some decorating left to do, but architecture and lighting are basically finished.
  • The outside is basically done too. Just needs some grass, rocks and maybe a few trees... and a shrubbery.
  • The mission briefing and readables have mostly been redone. The objectives are still the same, but the overall story has changed.
  • Better lighting has been cast upon the siege weapons. Since they are a featured part of the story they shouldn't be sitting in shadow, should they?
  • The dungeons look better, with complete new textures and more cells. Still not finished there. The whole area still looks a bit too sanitary, except the one area which had already been 'soiled' :)
  • I was able to keep the lantern bot, though it's patrol is reduced due to doorways, which it can't open.
  • The cook has forgotten how to use the elevator. That needs fixing. Last time it was visportals in the elevator shaft to blame. Tried removing them again and the taffer still can't use the elevator.
  • Some AI paths need adjusting
  • At least 1 secret has been added.

Screenshots to follow soon.

Update:

• The lighting is almost done (until beta testing) and it is greatly improved.
  • Many visportals added and/or fixed. FPS is greatly improved throughout the mission, especially in the lower hallway. The outside area may give some low FPS for some players, but it has greatly improved too.
  • The barracks floor (upper) renovation has begun. Much yet left to do there, but my creativity just dies whenever I work on that floor.
  • The lower halls are almost done... some decorating left to do, but architecture and lighting are basically finished.
  • The outside is basically done too. Just needs some grass, rocks and maybe a few trees... and a shrubbery.
  • The mission briefing and readables have mostly been redone. The objectives are still the same, but the overall story has changed.
  • Better lighting has been cast upon the siege weapons. Since they are a featured part of the story they shouldn't be sitting in shadow, should they?
  • The dungeons look better, with complete new textures and more cells. Still not finished there. The whole area still looks a bit too sanitary, except the one area which had already been 'soiled' :)
  • I was able to keep the lantern bot, though it's patrol is reduced due to doorways, which it can't open.
  • The cook has forgotten how to use the elevator. That needs fixing. Last time it was visportals in the elevator shaft to blame. Tried removing them again and the taffer still can't use the elevator.
  • Some AI paths need adjusting
  • At least 1 secret has been added.

Screenshots to follow soon.

Looking forward to it!

I'm still dawdling over the upper floor. I haven't done much there but to remove the vertical supports in favor of beams, re-do the lights and change some wood textures. I'll try to coffee-up this evening and see if that helps inspire me. The rest is just details. Otherwise, I'm about done with this mission.

A new beta version is out. Messages sent to those who beta tested the last time. I have found a couple more things to fix tonight and adjusted at least one AI path since packaging this beta.

Hopefully all plays smoothly and I can go ahead with details such as grass and rocks and grime decals.

I will test it gladly, if you like.

Ok, I'll send you a pm with the link to the current version.

We no longer require a Shubbery!

:) I'm sure I'll be removing the shrubbery before final release since it has nothing to do with the mission whatsoever. Either that or I will add another shrubbery, with a little path down the middle.

I'm sorry man I can barely type with my finger bandaged up like this :( I really want to test it.

I understand. Actually, you were one of the few who had responded at all, even though you can't test it.

Edited by PranQster

Sorry PranQ, been quite busy at my end, to make up for my failures, I'll test your map tonight from start to finish and give you a full rundown :)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Sorry PranQ, been quite busy at my end, to make up for my failures, I'll test your map tonight from start to finish and give you a full rundown :)

Totally understood. Things were quiet in the message board and I didn't want to spam everyone with personal messages to "remind" them, lol.

Some issues have been found and fixed. A couple quirks remain, but they are so minor, and have no obvious solution, that they shall remain.

This will likely be released within 48 hours, maybe even later today.

• The inventor is known to sometimes be difficult to loot the def_attach coin purse after being KO'd
  • 2 pewter goblets in the Captain's bedroom on the table do not cast shadows (light from fire) for their stems, only their bowls. I might change their models.
  • If the player jumps from the balloon, or fails to get into it when launching it, they will have to re-load their mission.
  • One of my single page readables shows double-wide, no matter which page/font choice I use. the readable has been rotated in-game to a landscape format to make that look correct.
  • One of the AI is neutral to the player... not a bug, he just wants to do his job without trouble.

One notable bug has been fixed:

• In the mission info, the name "grayman" had been misspelled "greyman", because I always spell the color grey with an 'e' out of habit. Fixed! :)

Edited by PranQster

Which goblet is it? A stock model? If so we need to fixed mod wise. And then it will be correct in your map next update.

It is the silver wine glass model. The stem does not render a shadow, but the top part does. I changed it to the generic goblet, which renders the shadow fine and doesn't look out of place next to a wine bottle.