The Dark Mod Forums

OpenAL error while EAX is on

Partol

When EAX is enabled in the main menu, Business as Usual v2.0 will not start.

The error message is:

ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating openAL hardware buffer

IMG_0027.jpg

Doom 3 (steam version) using TDM launcher

TDM v1.06

windows 7 32-bit

Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD

Would anyone else please test this with a Sound Blaster card and EAX on?

In the meantime, I will play this FM with EAX off.

No problem with this FM when EAX is off.

By the way, this is a very fun FM. Lots of interesting exploration. Nice sounds and background music.

Edited by Partol

Alchemy is installed. Doom3 is enabled in Alchemy.

How do I check if openAL is installed and up to date?

ran Creative auto-update. no files needed updating.

These FM's work while EAX on:

A Night To Remember

Alberic's Curse

Alchemist

Beleagured Fence

Builder's Influence

Caduceus of St. Alban

Chalice of Kings

Crown of Penitence

Fiasco at Fauchard Street

Flakebridge Monastery

Glenham Tower

Heart of Lone Salvation

House in Blackbog Hollow

House of Theo

Illusionist's Tower

In remembrance of him

Knighton Manor

Lockdown Part 1

Mandrasola

Pandora's Box

Phrase Book

Patently Dangerous

Rake-Off

Reap as you sow

Return to the City

Rift

Samhain Night on Bone Hill

Score to Settle

Siege Shop

Sneak & Destroy

Swing

Tears of St. Lucia

Thief's Den

Thieves!

Training Mission

Trapped!

Winter Harvest 1.1

These FM's will not finishing loading and start while EAX on:

Business as Usual v2.0

Rightful Property

St. Albans Cathedral

The Transaction

Edited by Partol

I do not see any OpenAL icon in my windows control panel, creative control panel, or in my start menu.

Re-installed openAL from

c:\Program Files\OpenAl\OpenALwEAX.exe

Same error message in 3 FM's.

Error message in St. Albans Cathedral

IMG_0035.jpg

Error message in The Transaction

IMG_0044.jpg

Edited by Partol

Serps, OpenAL is needed for EAX to work in D3. But your on the right track, uninstalling the version he has and installing the latest version is the way to go.. But what I would suggest though is to uninstall the creative driver along with OpenAl, then run driver cleaner (removing any remeents of the creative driver) reboot, then install the latest driver, reboot.

Then see how you get on.

I uninstalled OpenAL in windows 7 control panel (add/remove programs).

Restarted computer.

Started TDM and loaded St. Albans Cathedral. No error.

It runs fine but I assume there is no EAX?

Next, Downloaded oalinst.zip from here

http://connect.creat...s/AllItems.aspx

installed

OpenAL32.dll 6.14.357.24

ct_oal.dll 6.0.300.35

wrap_oal.dll 2.2.0.5

restarted computer.

All 3 FM's still do not work while EAX is on.

Next, uninstalled "The Transaction" inside TDM. Exited TDM. deleted transaction.pk4 and its folder.

Started TDM. Downloaded "The Transaction" from within TDM.

error message is the same. It will not start.

Edited by Partol

Serps, OpenAL is needed for EAX to work in D3.

Your driver includes OpenAL if you're using a Creative card. OpenAL runtimes are for cards that are compatible however are not shipped with the runtimes. And then there are software-only versions, for people who want to run it on CPU.

Installing extra runtimes will result in them being used, rather than the driver version (which has most likely been tested to some extent).

I uninstalled OpenAL in windows 7 control panel (add/remove programs).

Something just occured to me, have you got Darkmod enabled in Alchemey? as in the dsound.dll and dsound.ini files are in the darkmod folder..? if there are then do try the following

- Please try a full driver uninstall including open AL, then reboot, then run driver cleaner, then reboot, then install latest driver. And while your at it have

. OpenAL runtimes are for cards that are compatible however are not shipped with the runtimes. And then there are software-only versions, for people who want to run it on CPU.Installing extra runtimes will result in them being used, rather than the driver version (which has most likely been tested to some extent).

ah, handy to know.

"Doom 3" is enabled in Alchemy. "Dark Mod" is not listed in Alchelmy.

I can confirm that EAX works in Dark Mod because enemies are much harder (or impossible) to hear through closed doors and walls when EAX is on.

27 missions work. 3 missions do not work.

not interested to do another driver re-install.

no EAX in 3 missions is not so bad. Does not bother me.

Just letting you know about this problem.

Re-playing Alberic's Curse now. EAX seems to work fine.

Edited by Partol

One of the old regulars around here by the nick of LEGION used to add EAX support to missions. I would chalk it up to that if I didn't see Alberic's Curse listed... :wacko: Yes, something must be going on here. Perhaps these missions are trying to use positive volume adjustments above the baseline? I know that was a practice that was done as a workaround in previous versions before it was fixed? Or perhaps the audio files themselves are the problem? (Eg: Ogg vs Wave, vs ??? )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Coolies.

On another note, do you have the 'dsound.dll' and dsound.ini' files copied to the darkmod foolder?

I copied dsound.dll and dsound.ini to the darkmod folder. Nothing has changed. All 3 missions still crash.

By the way, I just got my sound card a few months ago.

This explains why I never noticied this problem before.

I can not confirm if EAX worked with earlier TDM versions.

At this point, I think other people should either confirm or disprove this EAX problem.

Only me and bikerdude have sound blaster cards here?

I remember buying my first sound blaster card back in 2000-01 to play thief.

Thief + sound blaster card was an epic experience back then.

The game you play with your ears. remember that slogan?

Cant believe more people here dont have sound blaster cards.

Edited by Partol

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex.

Unfortunately, Creative has been neglectful about driver updates and fixes for this generation. (They were sued about the Audigy series because they claimed to have full 24bit support but instead had 16bit internal mixers and effects. They provided $15 coupons to Audigy owners as the result of the settlement. As if that is really compensation :rolleyes: ... )

I have disabled EAX as a way to avoid possible crashes but I will test it out for the sake of this concern.

There are a LOT of Linux users here so (since EAX is not fully available on that platform) you won't see a ton of interest in the technology amongst the community save the few enthusiasts like LEGION...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've also got an XFi, I've tested with an Audigy 2 as well, all fine. I'd say it's just some bad blood between your driver and OpenAL. Which XFi do you have? it could be one of those xtreme gamer/audio ones which are just audigy based, and will lack native EAX4 - which might be where the problem is cropping up. Just a shot in the dark tho :)

I generally dont play with the EAX enabled, it just makes things sound strange to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the error is related to custom wav's.

http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__243895

"note: I lost nearly an hour finding out that the wav´s need to be mono... "

http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__243961

"After I deleted the oggs (I deleted also the old movement.shader in sfx01.pk4 before) I got ID SOUND ERROR. My files were mono and 16-bit, as the others already existing wav´s."

Edited by Partol

• 1 year later...

I suspect the error is related to custom wav's.

• "note: I lost nearly an hour finding out that the wav´s need to be mono... "
  • "After I deleted the oggs (I deleted also the old movement.shader in sfx01.pk4 before) I got ID SOUND ERROR. My files were mono and 16-bit, as the others already existing wav´s."

Ok, so those files are part of the mod, not my mission. Deleting these files isn't really a fix

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving forward to today and Im now getting the idSoundCache error on my new SB-Z card and its infuriating

basically the game checks to see it the openAL code can detect the sound buffers on the sound card, if the openAL code can not detect the sound buffers, it then tells the game that it cant see a hardware buffer, and the game throws up the error. has nothing to do with a wav file being mono or stereo its a hardware buffer check, it also throws up the error if you don't have enough channels on the card say if you only have 32 channels and you've told openAL you've got 64, it errors when it cant find buffer/channel number 33.

it seems the problem happens between the openAL code and the sound card drivers.