The Dark Mod Forums

So I made a short trailer...

Professor Paul1290

the scenery with guard starring at rope arrow is good but the one in your old trailer was a bit better, as the guard could be seen better there due to a bit more light

I agree that the old clip of that was better, but isn't in there for reasons I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, in the few seconds leading up to that moment, it looked like I passed in front of a guard in plain view and in the light and I wasn't spotted somehow.

In fact, the few seconds leading up to the guard looking up the rope where I pass in front of him seemingly in the light was the worst received bit in the trailer among the small group I showed this to that hasn't played TDM. It was bad enough that I hardly got any positive feedback at all about the trailer until I took that bit out (I wish I were exaggerating about that, but I'm not).

As such, it's definitely not coming back.

The trouble is that clip is really hard to replace. The "look up at the rope" behavior is really erratic and difficult to record in a way that looks natural and doesn't run into the problem of the old one. The clip that's in there right now is the best of five takes.

It's unfortunate, but that's how that bit has turned out.

On a more positive note, I did get a "I might buy it when it goes standalone" comment, to which I replied "What are you talking about? It's gonna be free!". XD

Edited by Professor Paul1290

I like this version. If you could do the things Orbsttort mentioned (seeing the guard look up better, and synching the music a bit) that'd work, but it's not a big deal, and it's good to release as it is IMO. Good work!

It's funny that we (on the Dark Mod forums) are actually easier on you for being exposed in light than others that are giving you a hard time for it. But maybe it's because we're thinking about it being more for our game than your playing. ^_^

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Finished up what will probably be the final version of the trailer:

I couldn't do much about the guard looking up at the rope, but I did get the music to sync better at the end.

Here's the video file:

http://depositfiles.com/files/t7sh4my1o

Feel free to upload this as well or put in on the front page somewhere if you want. I only post on a few forums and most aren't Thief related so any help spreading it would be nice! :D

• Like 2

the ding-dong (soory, have no better word for it) should come exactly at a time when tension grows

I did get the music to sync better at the end

indeed, very nice job

also noticed a good sync in the scene when you drew a flashbomb for the first time and guitar adds to the music

don't noticed it before, it really kickes ass IMO

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I wish you guys have someone like Stephen Russell who could say this speach (sorry for mistakes :)) during this video:

"The City of Bridgeport is a nice looking place, but I'm not a nobleman who have a time to admire it. Actually, I usually rob those people. They have gold and jewelry I need, and they have a guardians to watch it. But the latter doesn't matter for me, because I have a lockpicks to sneak into the noblemen's houses and mansions. Also, I have a bow with arrows, and even a sword, but I don't kill people, because it's... unprofessional. The shadows are my friends, so I spread them during my... work.

And yes, I'm merciful to every human being, even if I have a sword in my hand, because I just don't kill people no matter what.

Sometimes I need to jump over the ledges and... rooftops just to avoid bloodshed. Yes, I'm not an angel, because I hurt people rendering them consciousnessless by my faithful blackjack, but I'm not a murderer neither. You see, I'm just a... thief."

I wish you guys have someone like Stephen Russell who could say this speach (sorry for mistakes :)) during this video:

"The City of Bridgeport is a nice looking place, but I'm not a nobleman who have a time to admire it. Actually, I usually rob those people. They have gold and jewelry I need, and they have a guardians to watch it. But the latter doesn't matter for me, because I have a lockpicks to sneak into the noblemen's houses and mansions. Also, I have a bow with arrows, and even a sword, but I don't kill people, because it's... unprofessional. The shadows are my friends, so I spread them during my... work.

And yes, I'm merciful to every human being, even if I have a sword in my hand, because I just don't kill people no matter what.

Sometimes I need to jump over the ledges and... rooftops just to avoid bloodshed. Yes, I'm not an angel, because I hurt people rendering them consciousnessless by my faithful blackjack, but I'm not a murderer neither. You see, I'm just a... thief."

It took me a moment to notice that was supposed to sync with the trailer. :laugh:

I guess on that note, I was thinking of doing a different TDM trailer with more text and setting/plot related stuff, but that might need more editing than I can do well. I might give it a shot anyway so I guess we'll see.

It's far more difficult to do dialogue for trailers than people probably realize. Or at least, difficult to do it well.

I was thinking more in terms of cutting the video, not actually having a voice over, which even if it did sound good doesn't seem like a good fit for these. It might fit a trailer for a specific FM, but not the mod generally. Some text might be good though. And a kind of story-telling-like sequence.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.