The Dark Mod Forums

Remember the bank mission from Thief 2 ...

nightrider95

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and registered recently though have been snooping around for quite some time. Been a fan of this game since 5 years old and will be always. It's good to see alot of people have contributed to the mod and are still contributing. I was surprised to see how could I not know of this great mod :/ .. this is dream come true lol. Kudos to the team that made it possible. :)

So recently I was playing Thief 2 Metal age and was sneaking around Mod DB and searching for C&C games mods and all... then I discovered The dark mod and started downloading it and read the list of fan missions although couldn't see original thief missions. I was thinking that it would be great to import the levels of Thief 1 and 2 (would require alot of hard work considering sound,music,dialogue importing to a script and all) into the dark mod. The best mission that I love and still do was the bank mission from Thief 2 and was wondering if anyone made it like a fan mission?

What do you guys think?

P.s sorry if my english seems off. Cant think straight at midnight lol.

Welcome to the forums Nightrider!

I was thinking that it would be great to import the levels of Thief 1 and 2

Short answer - can't be done due to copyright issues (you can read more at this thread: http://forums.thedar...-and-thief-tma/) Don't be disappointed - there are loads of great FMs to play. For me, some of them have done more to capture the immersiveness (sp?) of playing the original missions than any other Thief FMs I've played (after a bit of a learning curve). :P

Don't get disappointed because there#s no bank mission yet. Once you got into the game (with the many great FMs here) you can also do your own mission with Dark Radiant. This is the level editor for this game. I for myself learned it in a few months and built my very first FM back then! So if you like to make a Thief 2 like bank mission, there's no thing that hinders you :) You have great tutorials here and on youtube, and also many friendly people here to help you with your questions - so feel free to explore the FMs and build your own later on! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Its really nice to see many replies. Ill download DarkRadiant and see what I can fiddle around with. The dark mod does need a little patching up with the Draw distance and fps cap. I noticed the fps goes very low when you look at rich environments while the other parts of the game run smoothly like butter.

The dark mod does need a little patching up with the Draw distance and fps cap. I noticed the fps goes very low when you look at rich environments while the other parts of the game run smoothly like butter.

That's something you have to watch out for when building your map. There is a part in the A-Z-Tutorial called Visportalizing (or something like that) which deals with this. A general tip is: Don't use too much lights in one room in combination with many models (objects like interior stuff).

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

There are some other things you may consider. You can for example turn of the collision by making things like bushes nonsolid. Also not shadow-casting lights and or objects save performance. Also try to keep things "small", meaning not to build extraordinary long, broad or high "rooms". Doom3 was aimed at tiny indoor areas, so everything else needs some tricks.

In reference to visportalization. There is a tutorial about city sections (or more precise about visportalizing them), which holds a lot of useful informations about this theme.

Good luck, taffer.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

In reference to visportalization. There is a tutorial about city sections (or more precise about visportalizing them), which holds a lot of useful informations about this theme.

I cant see this on the TDM Wiki Tut page. Do you have a link for this? I'd like to give it a read.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thanks for the tips :). Ill start with the guide. Hopefully will start from smaller maps to bigger maps. :)

Go for it! if you get stuck then ask in The editors Guild. Good luck!

Great stuff. Thank you!

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thank the guys who wrote that.

Glad it comes in handy. That city tut was just to expand a bit on visportal techniques.

one thing i have found since i wrote that but haven't updated... You can span func_statics across caulk to see them further away, but underwater they disappear. So not a great technique in canal areas (However that might just be an ATI thing... The Moon also changes location when i go under water.. at least it used too, not sure if that ever changed, most of the maps with water I played were my own quite awhile ago.)

Nobody really mentioned either, but one of the biggest performance killers is overlapping light sources. One light might drop FPS by 5, two might drop it 10, but two overlapping would drop it 20 (example numbers, it's not that bad, but it does compound really fast when lights overlap.). Best keep overlaps to a minimum, And don't forget, players lamp or a guard walking with lantern will cause extra overlaps.

5 overlaps is bad and 6 will absolutely bring a map to a grinding halt (good thing is you really never need very many overlaps for good lighting).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

one thing i have found since i wrote that but haven't updated... You can span func_statics across caulk to see them further away, but underwater they disappear.

I've been using this a fair amount in my WIP. Something else about using a caulk sky:

One feature I always had a problem with was the sightline for chimney smoke. The portal sky texture cuts off rising smoke, but a caulk sky doesn't. So you can tuck a smoke emitter right up against a caulk sky brush and as long as the emitter itself is in your PVS, you can watch the smoke climb high into the sky w/o any worry about the sky brushes cutting it off. A terrific solution for my sightline problem.

Wow, that's cool. I have the same problem in my current map, so I'll give this a go.

Map building is still in progress as I am also playing FM missions. Im on the third page familiarizing with caulk,visportals and clipping of brushes. Interesting enough. I'll post when my tutorial is done sooner or later. Been busy with darn exams. -_-

Badcogg did a good job in making the tutorial. It needs a slight update referring to the part where you have to create a door and made it functioning. Other than that, I think everything is the same.

There is a door prefab you may wanna use. It's already completely functioning. :smile: