The Dark Mod Forums

Missions about Pagans

Benny

IIRC there aren't much missions about pagans, if any. There are a couple where some pagans appear or are mentioned, but that's it.

They play an important role storywise in shadowhide's last mission for example.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thank you Obsttorte.

Mmmh... How comes that nodoby uses the cool atmosphere of a pagan wood, their magic, their conspiracy to make the whole city filled with plants?

Pagans usually involve forests and natural organic environments are challenging to create. Not many mappers are at that skill level yet. Cities, mansions, tunnels etc are easier to do.

Also at least I found the pagans very difficult faction in classic thief games. Their dialogue was difficult to understand. (Thus it is also difficult to create pagan like dialogue and texts.) Finally there is the fluidiness of the faction: what are pagans like in TDM? Mappers should stay away from thied IP, so lots of background stuff should be invented.

All in all, it is a challenging faction to work with.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

How comes that nodoby uses the cool atmosphere of a pagan wood, their magic, their conspiracy to make the whole city filled with plants?

TDM pagans are not Thief pagans. They don't have a conspiracy to fill the city with plants. http://wiki.thedarkm...hp?title=Pagans

Beyond the reason that Sotha mentioned, we also don't have any specialized vocal sets for pagans, and only one character model (another is waiting to be rigged whenever I find time to do it).

Anyone who might be interested in script writing is welcome to take a shot at coming up with one for the pagan vocals (but don't use the Thief style verbiage). http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13930-vocal-script-master/

Hi friends :)

I tried to look for missions about pagans but I found nothing.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thank you!

Hey I've got an idea. Ever think about making an FM? ;)

Fidcal's A-Z Tutorial will teach you everything you need to know.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I do have an idea for a Pagan-themed mission (of the "fills the city with plants" variety), but it is only in the planning stages. It might come after my current project.

Also: Deceptive Shadows may be interesting for you. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Pagans usually involve forests and natural organic environments are challenging to create. Not many mappers are at that skill level yet. Cities, mansions, tunnels etc are easier to do.

That's true. Although the process of creating such a mission isn't necessarily more complicated then creating a mansion or similar, the skills required are on a bit higher level.

• You need to know how to work with patches to create the natural look
  • this implies that you know enough about the way ai pathfinding works in doom3
  • as forest areas are quite open, you need to know how to handle the performance
  • and it is a great benefit to know about the seed system, as it gets cumbersome placing all the plants per hand :smile:

@Melan:

They play an important role storywise in shadowhide's last mission for example.

You are getting slow, old man. :P

I am thinking about ruins of an old village in a wood, where a lot of broken city walls, cabins and like could "close" the open landscape of a wood. It would look like a garden (and the mission builders have already made very nice gardens) without the disadvantage of a broad open environment.

Thank you Melan, I played with Deceptive Shadows. It is a nice mission, but I find it a little too colorful for my taste. A pagan environment would look a normal wood, with a green or blue glimmer, will-o'-the-wisp, strange wood sounds, my opinion.

Exactly like here :D

I have one (frakking huge) map in progress which has an area with Pagans in a village. Unfortunately they are not yet really ready. There are no proper female pagans, so they are wearing dresses just like city folk. They talk like city folk too. I can make them shut up, but can't change their models yet.

So I have some pagan guys wearing hides, hanging out with women wearing patterned fabric dresses and rogue's clothing. I didn't want to have some pagan sausage-fest with a bunch of guys who look like each other. It just doesn't work well, yet :(

Another challenge is the size of the area necessary to build such an village...among tall trees with sky above. My pagan area is much larger than is advised to make any single room. I expect there to be performance issues for several players. I suppose the village could be made in a twisting river canyon, so it could be visportal'd properly. But I wanted the close-knit community feel of a complete village with the community bonfire in the middle, etc...not all spread thin, twisting along a canyon.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Anyone who might be interested in script writing is welcome to take a shot at coming up with one for the pagan vocals (but don't use the Thief style verbiage). http://forums.thedar...-script-master/

So I take it I should not include words such as 'tricksie' or 'sneaksie' if/when I make any readables for my pagans.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

So I take it I should not include words such as 'tricksie' or 'sneaksie' if/when I make any readables for my pagans.

Not unless you're trying to make them Thief pagans. That's the only time I've ever heard those terms.