The Dark Mod Forums

No .cm file generated during dmap?

Springheel

Ok...was working on updating my .pk4 for 2.0, and after a couple adjustments to my map, I suddenly didn't get a .cm file when dmapping. I habitually delete the .cm and .proc files before dmapping, since they sometimes aren't overwritten. But I just tried to dmap twice in a row, and no .cm file was generated at all. What the heck does that mean?

Weird. I renamed the .map file, dmapped again and this time it created a .cm file.

I dont know if this is related, but because I have all my mission in thier own folders inside the 'D:\games\doom\darkmod\fms' folder I have found after dmapping that the .cm is dumped in the 'D:\games\doom\darkmod\maps' folder instead of inside the D:\games\doom\darkmod\fms\<mission>\maps folder inside the mission folder.

1.Is this a bug I should file..?

2. what are the .cm files (collision?) and are they ever needed..?

Another thing is that if you type the mapname, but with some latters capital instead of small or vice versa, dmap loads the correct mapfile, but saves the output in the way you've typed it into the console. So if my map is called map.map, and I dmap it with dmap MAP.map, I get a MAP.aas, MAP.cm and so one. This isn't a problem under windows me thinks, but causes troubles under linux, as the latter is case-sensitive regarding file names.

Regarding output directory: I sometimes had it, too, that files were saved in the wrong directory. The reason was always that I had a mission installed. I'm working directly in the darkmod folder (so non-project).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If you have unpacked mission file in darkmod\fms and load samename.map file from darkmod\maps, all dmap files will land in darkmod\fms if I remember correctly. Just delete "old" unpacked mission folder from darkmod/fms.

S2wtMNl.gif

The reason was always that I had a mission installed. I'm working directly in the darkmod folder (so non-project).

I did have a mission installed, so it's possible it was saved in the fm folder, but it would be a mystery why the .cm file would be the only file that would appear in a different folder, or why changing the filename would make a difference.

2. what are the .cm files (collision?) and are they ever needed..?

Yes, the .cm file is the collision information, and it is needed. It can be critical that this be recreated with each dmap if you've changed a surface's material.

For instance, if you have a wall made of wood and you fire an arrow at it, the arrow will stick.

Change the wall to stone, dmap, and if the .cm file isn't recreated, the game still thinks the wall is wood, so when you shoot an arrow at the new stone wall, it still sticks.