The Dark Mod Forums

Virus on iPod

Springheel

Ok, just this morning my iPod touch started doing a www1.dlinksearch.com redirect every time I try to use the web browser. A google search suggests this is due to some kind of redirect virus. I found lots of advice on how to remove it from a PC, but nothing about ipods or iphones...I don't even quite know where to look for that kind of information.

Anyone ever dealt with that problem before? Any ideas of where I should look?

This is a new one on me and as far as I am aware the OS on iPods is locked down, you can't make changes to the OS.

1. I assume your using it at home? if so are any other devices going to this search page...?

2. if the above is true then check the boradband router and do a reset and reconfig etc.

3. if neither of the above are true then as jaxa ninja'd me, backup the music on the iPod and then do a factory reset.

My old ipod mini you could browse the disk when it was plugged in to the computer via usb. I don't know if the newer ones allow this. Maybe plug it in and access it as a disk (some parts are inaccessible obviously) and run Stinger or Malwarebytes on it.

Sounds more like malware than a virus but something should be able to scan it and rid it. All else fails factory reset as jaxa mentioned may work.

Edited by Lux

Interestingly, two questions about this exact same problem cropped up on AskYahoo in the last hour. Coincidence?

Starting to sound like a lot of people are having the same issues today.

Whenever I try to connect to the internet , it'll open a 'Log In' screen which will just be the www1.dlinksearch.com virus .

Same thing here about the same time. Can't find an iPod or iPad solution online and apple wants to charge $100.

If anybody wants to know, resetting it and erasing all content doesn't work . And you still need internet to set it up in factory mode , so now everythings done. Wonderful.

Ah, here we go...for some reason the Apple site started being detected as a phishing site?

it may just be your D-Link wireless router. I had this happen today to my iPod Gen 4 and an iPad3. Also couldn't get into any apple sites from my Toshiba PC. It ended up being a DNS setting on my D-Link wireless router and now everything works. Not sure why D-Link decided to hate on apple today???

Thanks to hacksparrow.com for finding me the answer and walking me through it!

Source(s):

http://www.hacksparrow.com/dlinksearch-hijacks-browser-disable-dlinksearch-com-search.html

This is a new one on me and as far as I am aware the OS on iPods is locked down, you can't make changes to the OS.

You (the user) can't, but the bad guys can! http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22764815

Think twice before charging from some random friend's computer... I don't really have any other suggestions besides a reset, because I know very little about IOS devices. I just got an old Iphone 3GS though, so I can start learning now.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

LOL it's a "feature" of your Dlink router called Dynamic DNS. Log into your Dlink's web interface usually 192.168.0.1, and in the Manual Internet Connection Setup, the first or second option should be

Advanced DNS Service

Advanced DNS is a free security option that provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos. Enable Advanced DNS Service :

Just uncheck it and save settings, done.

Dlink's servers aren't known for their stability or usefulness.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, I already did that, thanks. I just don't know what caused it to suddenly go after Apple's site, as I've had that router for months.