The Dark Mod Forums

Those Moments That Come Out of Nowhere and Put Life Into Perspective.

Sir Taffsalot

Even better than that, he's not a fictional unbelievable cartoon character, he's better than a Super Hero, he's a real hero.

Wow.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Your co-worker sounds like a really good guy! And hopefully with the advancement of medical technology his grandson can get his eyesight fixed in his lifetime. If he isn't even 10 yet then i'd say he would have a good chance of that considering how fast technology and medical treatments are moving. I think I was even reading they have basic technology now to give a completely blind person very very basic vision, and what they can do with prosthetic limbs now is incredible, soon that will start becoming more and more available.

Who knows maybe his grandson will have these badass augmented eyes in 20-30 years. You can dream but yeah for now it doesn't help obviously so the traveling and the extra work your co-worker is putting in is definitely that of a hero :)

Your co-worker sounds like a really good guy! And hopefully with the advancement of medical technology his grandson can get his eyesight fixed in his lifetime.

I hope this happens soon so that anybody who is blind can benefit from this. When I hear about people who can't see I sometimes wonder if I take my vision for granted. I see the world all the time but do I really see how beautiful it can be?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Last I saw the news about medicine, cataracts can be treated. But I bet it is also very expensive, such is "good life", huh?

I don't get what makes him a super hero or a hero. Just because a person has a "good heart" (figuratively speaking) doesn't mean he's a hero, he's just a person who's kind, that's it.

Still, this is very typical for a family, so I'm completely unimpressed. Of course a loving family will try its best to make a family member have fun and such, especially when it is proven he will have a miserable life afterwards.

Now, excuse my "assholism" if you want to call it like that, but I still wanted to give my broken thought.

Still, this is very typical for a family, so I'm completely unimpressed. Of course a loving family will try its best to make a family member have fun and such, especially when it is proven he will have a miserable life afterwards.

No, it isn't. Don't play it down because it's either expected or typical of a good, functioning family. It's not inherent human nature to care for people who are extremely ill, and it's too common for people to distance themselves from those suffering in order to ease loss out of pocket or heart. It's cold, and it only sounds unlikely because, no matter how cynical and pessimistic you want to appear, we like to think that it's how people will act in these kinds of situations. Chronic or terminal illnesses like these put huge strains on families, and it's a miracle if they pull through maturely and responsibly enough to act the right way. People with debilitating illnesses end up scared and alone if they don't already have people close to them, and children especially will never get to form those kinds of foundations because of the bystander effect. People deal with it in different ways, and somebody going to that kind of effort is admirable, regardless of whether or not it's to be expected and regardless of their relation to them.

A friend as multiple sclerosis. When she was first dealing with it after diagnosis, nurses who came to the house to help with injections were impressed her husband was still there, supportive and caring. Apparently it's more typical for spouses to go MIA rather than have integrity.

Is her husband a hero? Has he sacrificed himself and gone above and beyond the call of duty most others maintain? Yes he has. Has he extended himself beyond what most others do? Yes. Has he performed exceptionally? Debatable.

A key difference is this husband has a vested interest. Improving his wife's existence improves his.

This is not the case demonstrated here, various grandparents have various levels of involvement with their grandkids, but sacrificing his free time and self interests to work and produce income primarily for the benefit of another?

Exceptional.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

While it's not necessarily an illness, but there are parents with children who are born (or become) deaf or even deaf-mute. I heard many times that some of these parents won't bother to learn sign language and instead send their own children to special residential schools for deaf kids, so they won't be a bother to their parents. It may just be me, but this is something that is completely and absolutely out of the question in terms of right behaviour. While there may be constraints to where to find a school for your deaf kid (after all, every country handles this differently, even in the EU), I think every parent should at the very least have some command of sign language to be able to communicate with their own child.

WRT the OT, I find it absolutely admirable for a grandfather to go not just the extra mile for his grandkid but to actually walk a hundred miles, so to say.

@The Black Arrow: Sadly, it is absolutely NOT a very typical thing for a family to do. There are many many families (and not even only dysfunctional ones) out there where parents and/or grandparents wouldn't even dream of doing that for a child/grandchild. So yes, in my book, the grandfather is most definitely a hero.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I couldn't disagree with you anymore Black Arrow. This is certainly not expected of him. Ian has worked all his life, raised a family and paid his mortgage so that his family has a home. He has every right to put his feet up and enjoy what's left of his life. This doesn't make him any less of a man and it doesn't prevent him from being a fantastic grandfather. That he is willing to go well beyond the call of duty is what makes him a hero IMO.

For what it's worth I do think that Ian would agree with you though. He's just doing what any decent grandfather would do.

• Like 2

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker