The Dark Mod Forums

About elemental arrows

The Black Arrow

I wonder...

In Thief, the elemental arrows are formed up near "elemental places", such as the Water Arrows being formed near watery areas such as fountains, fire arrows being formed up near torches, etc. They were all formed up into what it is called "Elemental Crystals".

But what about The Dark Mod? Are they magical? Mechanical? Elemental just like in Thief?

I was wondering about this because I'm having plans of making "Elemental Crystals", as an alternative to arrows, since I saw some places full of water arrows and/or fire arrows in which the arrows didn't seem to fit well.

Noisemaker arrows are too simple to be an Inventor's guild collection. They're probably just put together by thieves themselves.

Moss arrows are acknowledged to be magical, sold to the black market by hedge wizards or pagans.

Well, those are some clever thieves you got there.

Not really. Strap some clockwork toy on the end of an arrow and you're ready to go. :)

So, in summary;

Fire Arrows

Made by the Inventor's Guild, it was made with a liquid fire in which it burns even on water and can't be extinguished. When its tip hits a contact, it explodes.

Also made by the Alchemist's Guild but not good enough for bows, instead, they're used for small arms.

Water Arrows

Made by the Inventor's Guild, this type of arrow was created to counter their own Fire Arrows just in case an enemy faction ever steals it. It is also used by the Fire Brigade, due to the effectiveness of this type of arrow, also by Noblemen to extinguish flames just in case they ever get out of control. Even though it looks small, this water arrow is stronger than the typical water people use and drink, making it potent even for medium-sized fires.

Noisemaker Arrows

Thought to be made by the Thieves' Guild due to the simplicity and their own manner of works, easily misinterpreted as an Inventor's Guild invention. The arrow is very simple to make and use, just by strapping a clockwork toy on top and shooting it.

Moss Arrows

Magical Arrows, makers unknown, thought it is made by wizards and/or Pagan shamans. Sold through the black market by the hedge wizards and Pagans. When the arrow hits contact, it quickly starts to reproduce moss arrows around the area, making the terrain mossy which in turn makes it quiet to walk on, perfect for thieves.

Rope Arrows

Made by The Empire, the original copy was much larger and bulkier, used to pull the ships into a trap or close to it in order board it. The modern design was made into an arrow, which hunters, construction workers, loggers and of course, thieves, use it.

Gas Arrows

Unknown.

I think the Gas Arrows were apparently made by the Alchemist's Guild, for the Empire's Spies. Some crooked alchemists also sell them on the black market for thieves.

That sound good?

Fire Arrows

Made by the Inventor's Guild,

No, Fire Arrows (or at least the explosive parts) are made by the Alchemists' Guild.

Noisemaker Arrows

Thought to be made by the Thieves' Guild

There is no "THE" thieves' guild, just lots of small guilds/gangs of criminals. Anyone with a wind-up toy and an arrow shaft can make a noisemaker.

That sound good?

In what context?

I think in the original games gas arrows where referred to as arrows containing CO2, or some other sort of KO-gas. But maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not sure moss arrows has to be interpreted as magical (don't wanna change that, though, if this is already fixed). The term "moss" could also be slang for something similar looking that comes out of the arrow and dampens footsteps.

However, as magicans only play a side-role in TDM universe and magic is not omnipresent, I would not count anything relatively usual as the players equipment as magical. It just didn't fit very well. Magic should be something critical, and it should be kept up to the mappers and playrs mind if something is really magical or may only appear so. (Well, maybe you could put the arrows into that category, too).

Btw.: If you say you wanna create "elemental crystals", are you talking about making custom arrows or do you really mean crystals, like in shiny stones?

If you've meant the first one I can tell you how to do this if you don't know that already. Maybe I should write a wiki entry about that, too. What are you are actually up to in reference to the wiki?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

No, Fire Arrows (or at least the explosive parts) are made by the Alchemists' Guild.

That apparently either, makes the Inventor's Guild a bunch of thieves themselves (Alchemists sure love that name for them, huh?), or the feud between them both a complete hypocrisy.

There is no "THE" thieves' guild, just lots of small guilds/gangs of criminals. Anyone with a wind-up toy and an arrow shaft can make a noisemaker.

I see.

In what context?

Pretty much The Dark Mod's "lore" about arrows.

Btw.: If you say you wanna create "elemental crystals", are you talking about making custom arrows or do you really mean crystals, like in shiny stones?

If you've meant the first one I can tell you how to do this if you don't know that already. Maybe I should write a wiki entry about that, too. What are you are actually up to in reference to the wiki?

Yeah, custom arrows, would be great if you showed how. You mean about modelling and texturing (or maybe not) it, right?

Edited by The Black Arrow

That apparently either, makes the Inventor's Guild a bunch of thieves themselves (Alchemists sure love that name for them, huh?), or the feud between them both a complete hypocrisy.

I'm not sure what you mean. This information is already covered on the wiki:

the Alchemists Guild tried to compete with the Inventors by independently creating an improved formula (sparking a bitter feud between the two guilds that lasts to this day). After many attempts, the alchemists were unable to make anything but a mild form of liquid fire. Their less-effective combustible turned out to be perfect for small arms use

Yeah, custom arrows, would be great if you showed how. You mean about modelling and texturing (or maybe not) it, right?

Modelling and texturing them can be done in DR, so you don't neccessarely need a modelling program or skills in that perspective.

In addition you need to setup some defs and change some scripts to get them working. Note that the only way to get new arrows into your FM is to replace existing ones. Which one doesn't matter, though, so you can simply choose one which you are not going to use anyway (like the fire, gas or vine arrow in most missions).

It's been a while since I've played around with that, but I'll see that I can dig it up this week. I will post here once I'm finished.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

But you said the Alchemists made it (or at least the explosive parts), isn't that wiki quote implying the Inventor's made it then the Alchemists wanted to make another one with "improved formula" that wasn't successful except for small guns?

No, the combustible in fire arrows is the result of the AG trying to copy liquid fire. It's no good for city defense but is good for arrow sized projectiles.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a while since I've played around with that, but I'll see that I can dig it up this week. I will post here once I'm finished.

Any news?

No, the combustible in fire arrows is the result of the AG trying to copy liquid fire. It's no good for city defense but is good for arrow sized projectiles.

I see, so the Fire Arrow is an Alchemist's Guild invention, while then the Inventor's Guild made another "liquid fire" in which it was good for small arms, something the city defences needed. Is that how it is?

I see, so the Fire Arrow is an Alchemist's Guild invention, while then the Inventor's Guild made another "liquid fire" in which it was good for small arms, something the city defences needed. Is that how it is?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Arrows#Fire_Arrow

You might be misinterpreting that? Vice-versa, small arms are arrows. See the link within that section for details on the Inventor's Guild liquid fire, specifically in the History section.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Inventors Guild made the Fire Arrow by using some form of liquid fire, then the Alchemists Guild tried to make a better one with improved formula, all they got was a mild liquid fire for small arms.

Hold on a moment, Water Arrow...The Inventors Guild were doing it, but their Alchemists did it? There are alchemists in the Inventors Guild even though there's an Alchemists Guild?

You need to read up on the Inventor's Guild. It's spelled out.

The duke called together a group of engineers and alchemists and charged them with the defense of the city.

Some focus on the study of engineering and motion, others study alchemical solutions,

I see, but it is somehow still kind of strange. If there's an Inventor's Guild, that not only has engineers but alchemists too, then why would there be an Alchemist's Guild? It just feels strange at how alchemists are against alchemists.

I guess this is just like real life doctors, Pavlov VS Bekhterev.

You guys should try making an article about the Alchemist's Guild.