The Dark Mod Forums

Are thief remakes still not allowed on the dark mod

Rejlive

Im sure this question has been asked before but, I don't see the harm in asking again...

With the disappointing new thief game just released, im still wishing for remakes or even a sequel, prequel something on the dark mod.

btw will the new thief game have an editor for fan missions

There is an ongoing contest which allows the use of Thief intellectual property in TDM, although it almost certainly would not extend to full reconstructions of Thief missions.

No level editor is planned for release for Thief 4. The devs have floated it as a feeble 'maybe', but only if Thief 4 sales are very good and Thief 5 gets greenlit by Square-Enix. This is unlikely. Please note, though, that even if we did have an editor, that would not necessarily mean we could be making full, functional missions with it. Modern level design is much more complex than it used to be.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

where can I keep track of this contest?

I wasn't completely disappointed with the new thief, the guards seem better at hunting you over longer distances, other than that it seems unfinished, I just finished chapter 5 and have only played a couple side missions and so far I don't see anything that attracts hardcore thief fans or any other type of fan.

You can't track the contest, I am afraid.

But you can get some info here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1001928521

Whatever 'videos' or other stuff may be submitted for that contest, will probably not be visible to the public before the contest ends and the winners are announced.

(after april 14)

Hmmm... did they actullay state how much will be made available to the public?

(winner only ? best 3 ? or everything ? Not sure)

It would be interesting to see for the rest of the world if one or two of the five modders from the US are making progress in this contest, yes.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Last I heard they were getting entries. Hell, there's a category where you don't even have to MAKE anything. A chance to win those prizes just for talking about a cool idea? I'd enter that if I could.

There's also another contest with great prizes, much clearer instructions, and it's open to a wider number of countries: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Master-Thief-Competition

I'm still a bit unclear on some of the contest rules in regards to the Thief IP. Are entrants actually allowed to release missions that use the Thief IP publicly, considering the contest only requires a video? Also, can you create enough of the mod to make the video, and then finish the mission later after the contest is completed and still release it publicly?

My guess is that EM probably isn't too concerned with TDM missions, since they're all released for free. But I also know this can be touchy subject around here. If we can use the Thief IP during this brief contest period, I guess we should take full advantage since it probably won't happen again.

I'm still a bit unclear on some of the contest rules in regards to the Thief IP.

You're not the only one.

If we can use the Thief IP during this brief contest period, I guess we should take full advantage since it probably won't happen again.

I haven't seen anything in writing that addresses TDM using Thief IP, and without that we can't change our default policy.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the users aren't submitting their entries to TDM but instead to the contest. The means its SE's call as to whether to host or release them to the general public. If the do host them we can simply provide links to their (SE) site and if we wanna be extra careful place a disclaimer that by visiting that site you agree to SE's terms.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, the missions themselves aren't even submitted, all they want is a video of the mod. So I seriously doubt they'll be hosting any FMs.

It's a strange contest for many reasons, but one is they're letting you use previously existing material. So I could could go back and take some video of an FM I did back in 2005 and that would be perfectly valid to use.

Not to mention the obvious...that it's a Thief modding contest...sponsored by a company whose Thief game can't be modded...

So I could could go back and take some video of an FM I did back in 2005 and that would be perfectly valid to use.

That's part of the point--it's more about recognizing work that's already done rather than a motivation to make something new.

I guess I thought the point was to come up with something brand new, or to redo an old classic level.

No, not really. Like I said, there's an entire category where you don't have to create anything at all.