The Dark Mod Forums

Free Medieval Unity Modules

Springheel

I was rather hoping someone else might look into it. As the models are already made, it would mostly be a matter of converting them to the correct format and creating material files. That would be a great task for someone interested in contributing but not capable of creating models from scratch.

So our official position should be that that's consent to putting them under the Creative Commons license we use, since that's what you specifically asked him about in putting them in our mod, so he's giving us a license outside of the Unity store's one. So redistribution won't be a problem. And he still gets attribution of course.

Probably a good idea to keep it on the down-low anyway and treat them like they're any other assets in our package and not make a big deal out of it or rock the boat.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Is there a download link somewhere? All I see is this open in unity button, and it is a dead end (beside the fact that I don't have unity installed).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hmm, well that's a bump in the road:

Assets are downloaded via the Unity Editor via the process below. Assets cannot be downloaded any other way.

1. Open Unity Engine.
  2. Click "Window" > "Asset Store".
  3. Log in
  4. Find asset.
  5. Download asset.

Anyone have the Unity Editor? Wasn't Sotha playing around with it recently?

It might be possible to get them directly from the artist, but the link to his webpage isn't working for me.

• Like 1

• Anyone have the Unity Editor? Wasn't Sotha playing around with it recently?
  • It might be possible to get them directly from the artist, but the link to his webpage isn't working for me.
  • I do, and I already checked it out. The models are in .DAE format, need to find a convertor to convert them to .LWO or .OBJ....
  • It took ages just to get an email from 3Dloom, so I think we will have to try and convert the models ourselfs.

@Dema, yeah working on the downlow and providing attibs in the material defs or a text comment in the model/s is the way to go.

he models are in .DAE format, need to find a convertor to convert them to .LWO or .OBJ....

There is a .dae importer for Maya, apparently. If someone can track down a link for me, I might be able to convert the models. I'd need someone else to handle the textures and material files, as testing 2.03 and working on my own modules has me plenty busy enough atm.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you set me up with one of the .dae files, biker? I'd like to try this out before I forget.

Thanks. I'm not even sure I'll be able to open them yet...the .dae converters I've found don't have simple instructions.

When I try to extract the files, I get an "unknown method" error and it says there are no files to extract...?

I tried downloading it in Chrome, and got the same errors. Never seen this before, but it's just a list of errors like this for every single file:

! C:\Users\Eric\Downloads\MedievalBuildings.zip: Unknown method in MedievalBuildings\Models.meta
! C:\Users\Eric\Downloads\MedievalBuildings.zip: Unknown method in MedievalBuildings\Models\Buildings.meta
! C:\Users\Eric\Downloads\MedievalBuildings.zip: Unknown method in MedievalBuildings\Models\Buildings\building_01.dae

I tried downloading it in Chrome, and got the same errors. Never seen this before, but it's just a list of errors like this for every single file:

I suspect you have an old version of WinRAR.

Either upgrade or use 7-zip instead, which is completely free to use.

Ah yes, I used 7zip to pack that archive. WinRar just dosent cut it anymore.

Well, I got the archive open, and after some futzing around was able to convert the dae files into something I can read in Maya, but that's where the trail ends at the moment. My copy of Maya has far fewer export options than I expected, so I can't convert it to anything that can be read in Lightwave or TDM.

My copy of 2013 is a student copy that doesn't export. My other copy is Maya 7.0.

My Maya 2012 won't export at all. My other version will only export as MentalRay, Fbx, and some other format I've never heard of. I might be able to find a plugin though.

I found something. I've got it saved as a .lwo now, just have to see what it looks like in LW.

Looks like it works, though it will take a bit of effort to get them ready for use, as there is no indication of which surface goes with which texture. Will take some trial and error.

• Like 3