The Dark Mod Forums

OMFG System Shock "remake"?!?

teh_saccade

On 6/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, wesp5 said:

you also have respawning energy

I think the energy in SS2 respawns as well (but you need to be able to use an energy weapon). SS2 has rpg-style stats upgrading plus the implants.

Edited by datiswous

4 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Yes, but for somebody who is only playing each other day I think it's almost too little. A quest log would be great, even TDM has a list of what you are supposed to do while not explaining where and how to do it! This is often hidden in one of hundreds of audio logs and you might have forgotten a few day later what you were supposed to do coming back to the game. 

I know what you mean. 😁 Nonetheless, I think it's the right way. Games should make you think. And, if you use a notepad alongside your keyboard, I don't think it's a bad thing.

I actually had more issues with recognizing interactive elements in the game world. For example, I would have completely missed that you can interact with the diagnostic log machine, after you did some other stuff (it doesn't really react before that). Or the machine where you can scan the human head you found (which you can easily miss as well).

Oh, and regarding System Shock 2: It's an insanely good game. I would rate it a bit higher than the SS 1 Remake, but, they're both great.

Edited by chakkman

3 hours ago, thebigh said:

Yeah, System Shock 2 is something really special and what I saw of the SS1 remake was not really on that sort of level. Played the free demo for half an hour and just couldn't get into it.

FWIW, I wasn't THAT fond of the first level (Medical) either. After that, it gets better and better.

2 hours ago, chakkman said:

I actually had more issues with recognizing interactive elements in the game world. For example, I would have completely missed that you can interact with the diagnostic log machine, after you did some other stuff (it doesn't really react before that). Or the machine where you can scan the human head you found (which you can easily miss as well).

I agree, also I missed the codes in the executive level because I had seen so many non important screens that I didn't stay around to see if anything else was displayed. As for the quest logs, I think the way TDM and Bloodlines do it is perfect! System Shock does it too little and modern games with hud elements pointing to the target location do it too much.

Edited by wesp5

2 hours ago, wesp5 said:

I agree, also I missed the codes in the executive level because I had seen so many non important screens that I didn't stay around to see if anything else was displayed. 

Oh, yeah, now that you say it, I missed the codes in the computer node rooms as well. 😂

TBH, more of an issue with modern games though... so much detail that you can easily miss the interactive stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the meantime, I played the first level, which means I was able to activate the first elevator.

I don't know the original game, I only know System Shock 2, and I have to say that this one is damn close to the latter, but looks and sounds considerably better!

Absolutely traditional, nothing is explained here, you have to figure everything out yourself. I like that.

As has benn said before, I also had problems recognizing if you can interact with certain objects:

Spoiler

The fact that these strange electricity towers or whatever they were had to be blown up in order to create a bridge, I only noticed by chance. I would have gotten stuck on that for sure.

Anyways, great game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 10:24 PM, JackFarmer said:

As has benn said before, I also had problems recognizing if you can interact with certain objects:

Yeah also how the fending machines work. You insert the coin, open a panel under it and take the stuff. Took me a while to figure that out. Also the recycle station. I first thought I had to drop items in the hole, but after a while I found there's an inventory part on the side where you have to drop them.

Also: You know those games where you can play the demo and when you install the full version, it preserves your game progress from the demo? This isn't one of those games.. 😕

Edited by datiswous

Some days ago after playing I had this idea of a new System Shock game, xcom style where you fight the attack after Shodan succesfully spread it's virus after the laser attack on earth. So an alternative universe.

I read now the Kick had a similar idea:

“But we've talked about exploring the System Shock universe in different genres. Maybe an XCOM-like that takes place before the events of System Shock 1, where you're the resistance on Citadel Station, fighting SHODAN’s cyborgs and machines.”

https://www.techradar.com/features/why-nightdive-studios-is-the-perfect-developer-for-the-system-shock-remake

• 4 weeks later...

If you finished System Shock and you want mooore:

I posted about this a while ago but one guy from systemshock.org is working on his own System Shock remaster (build with Unity engine). Here is a (new) teaser video for version 0.99.5 beta:

Gameplay seen from 0:29

(warning: spoilers)

Btw. Nightdive gave him permission.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1