The Dark Mod Forums

Realtexture Game Packs

Renzatic

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they don't need all archives to open, that would certainly be good news. I'll try downloading the first and opening it without any others of the set. Alternately, standalone archives on FTP (or somewhere) would be best for "grab it if you wish" type of self-serve; that way anyone who is or might ever be interested will have access.

It was already posted by NH. If I had posted the link again you would have found something else to pick on.

:huh: The first reference to that link was by me, then mentioned again by me, then indicated why I couldn't make use of it, and then again mentioned by me when I indicated I would need something other than that link for reasons listed. Perhaps this was just misunderstanding, but you can't honestly say you missed all of that. Anyway, whatever; dropped.

It's an authentication error. You'll get it regardless.

Over the next couple of days I'm gonna sort which textures will be best used for the mod. At the very least, I'm gonna upload almost all of Materials Vol. 3. There are tons of awesome brick and stone textures there we could really use, complete with bump and alpha maps in tow.

The windows and doors need normals, which I'll start working on once I get everything sorted and submitted for approval.

Confirmed I can at least open the first part with only some errors (and I assume some textures incomplete). That's news to me. And good enough for me. If someone else wants them anywhere, anyhow, I hand you the torch. Good luck.

So this means I don't have to upload them? All the better? I totally forgot about this, but of course you can extract files that are fully contained within a split archive. So you should be able to extract most of the files, and only keep to archives together to extract the ones that are spanning.

Gerhard

A word of warning to anyone downloading. They don't all work independantly. I just grabbed #23 at random and it reports that it needs #4 to extract anything. #1 and #2 worked though.

And eeeew... these aren't too great.

Edit: nor #10. Hrm, perhaps we should list them.

Do work (for the most part alone)

1, 2, 3

Do not work alone

10, 23

Edit 2: Perhaps it's anything beyond the first volume. I downloaded #4, and now suddenly #10 and #23 are saying they want #5 as well. So much for not needing them all. Back to square one, FTP in chunks or nothing. Bleh, whatever.

• 5 months later...
Over the next couple of days I'm gonna sort which textures will be best used for the mod. At the very least, I'm gonna upload almost all of Materials Vol. 3. There are tons of awesome brick and stone textures there we could really use, complete with bump and alpha maps in tow.

I plan on taking all the ones I like and slapping them all on the FTP for everyone to grab.

So I guess this isn't going to happen. Maybe next 'return.'

It'd really be nice to be able to get at these without having to download 5G. Yes, you can get at the occasional texture here or there from an individual volume, but 90%+ of them are spanned and can't be opened that way. The majority (edit: reword) aren't very usable from what I've seen, and I'd just as soon look elsewhere (or not do textures) than download 5G (hoping I can even extract the archive at all) just to get at a few gems.

If it's just a matter of downloading 5GB, I don't mind doing that. I don't have time to sort through them all and see which are useful though.

I'm the opposite. I would like to get to look through them to see which are usable candidates, but don't want to download 5G (or take the chance I can't even open the archive). :wacko:

That said though, sigh, I guess by nature I just needed to bitch about it before deciding to try again. I got to archive 6(?) before I gave up last time and deleted them. Let's see how far I get this time. And I hope I don't have to open the whole package to get at all the contents, or I won't be able to due to (severe) lack of swap drive space.

SneaksieDave, you're from the U.S., aren't you? If it weren't that far, I would happily download it for you and send you two DVDs with the stuff. Perhaps there are some other team members from the U.S. who could do this?

If there aren't any, I would do it anyways, if this helps. :)

Thanks greebo, but my bitching was premature this time (for a change? ahem.. *cough*). When I was downloading before (up to 6, and gave up), I was using 56k. 600Mb on 56k, ugh. That's why it was so frustrating, and a dire prospect overall. I've got DSL now, and it's going surprisingly quick, even faster than I expected. Seems veledan has a very quick server, whatever it is. Should be done in maybe another 6 hours give or take (though I can't really do it during work, so I might have to pick up later, or overnight). So, even if something prevents me from opening the archives, no big loss.

Still, though! *grumble*

:blush:

I don't think anyone was suggesting you could. Springheel said he had time to download but not to examine the textures, while SneaksieDave wanted to look through the textures but wasn't able to download them on his previous 56k connection.

Well, I have them now; didn't take too long (though I did forget there was 47 of them! thought there was only 30 for some reason).

Anyway. Looking through them, at least in my opinion (others have already expressed difference with it), there's not much good here at all. Not "no good at all", but not much. I'm still going through, and it looks like there are a few good doors, and definitely some window shutters, and a stone or two and a couple of woods, so I plan on trying to get those game ready, as far as my patience can handle. Other than that, another three million brick textures (I swear I'm going to start vomiting bricks soon), and most of them don't tile at all, or only tile in one direction - horizontal. <_< Oh, and no normal maps. I thought there were supposed to be?? Most desirable textures have a worthless heightmap which is no more than a greyscale of the original, which anyone could do with any image editor, and which does NOT create a good normal map. It creates riply undefined crap. So, any texture to be used will likely need full preparation - tiling work and normal map creation - so, back to square one; hours of work per texture.

So, in conclusion? 5 Gigs of a few good textures but mostly garbage you could find on any mayang/cgtextures type of website. I'll try to extract what I can out of it (hopefully not doubling any work if anyone else is doing the same), but it sure isn't a treasure trove.

Edit: Jeez that was negative. Anyway, this was not to sound like a poop; just to state it for once and for all (it's been years, afterall), that the real textures pack ain't all that. Don't expect much of it.

It seems like they just went around & took pictures, did some batch editing (use this directory, create greyscale versions of these for height maps), then sell them. The name of the product is a misnomer. It should be "Photo Sources for Game Textures (subtitle: we don't give a crap if you can't use them in a game).