The Dark Mod Forums

[2.12] Which frob change?

stgatilov

[2.12] Which frob changes to apply?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it would be better for TDM 2.12 to use the controls of "daftmugi" / hold-frob version instead of the current TDM controls?

2. 2. Do you think it would be better for TDM 2.12 to use the controls of "stgatilov" / double-click version instead of the current TDM controls?

3. 3. Which controls scheme is the best in your opinion?

There are two ways to change frob controls proposed for TDM 2.12.

Both approaches have test builds, which you can install in tdm_installer.
Just set "Get custom version" on the first page, then choose either test-frob-daftmugi2 or test-frob-stgatilov there.

The goal of this voting is to quantify current opinion about these ways.

ATTENTION: Please vote only if you have installed and tried both test builds!
Note also, that only one controls scheme will survive. Even if there is a switch in a test build, it will not be supported and will naturally die out.

The approaches are also described and discussed in their threads:

daftmugi approach (aka "hold-frob"):

stgatilov approach (aka "double-click"):

• Like 1

@stgatilov Also, perhaps we should change the build names and voting choices from our names to the solution names instead?

• test-build-holdfrob ("Hold Frob")
  • test-build-doubleclick ("Double-Click")

As it is worded now, it sounds like it is a competition between the two of us rather than between the solutions. I cannot take full credit for "Hold Frob", because several people were involved in its creation. It was a group effort.

51 minutes ago, Daft Mugi said:

@stgatilov Also, perhaps we should change the build names and voting choices from our names to the solution names instead?

• test-build-holdfrob ("Hold Frob")
  • test-build-doubleclick ("Double-Click")

As it is worded now, it sounds like it is a competition between the two of us rather than between the solutions. I cannot take full credit for "Hold Frob", because several people were involved in its creation. It was a group effort.

It's a bit too late, the builds are long under these names in tdm_installer.

And given that you have already asked me to change "long-click" to "hold frob" or "frob hold", I think tagging with names will help us to avoid confusion.
Even if something is developed by several people, but there is usually one "champion" who is kinda responsible for the whole thing 😉

But in general I agree, I don't like attaching names e.g. to changelog.

27 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Regardless of what will be implemented in the end, it's both better than having to switch from one side of the keyboard to the other to frob the body...

That depends on your keys setup. I use SPACE to frob (from the good old Doom times) and Q to use, so it works fine :)!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

I foted, but actually it's too early maybe. I'm pro change, but would have the possibility to change to the old way if later on I decide I don't really like it enough. Is that not possible?

Also I am in favor of a frob-hold for body manupilation, so I don't have to keep pressing the mouse button while moving the body around. So that's why I chose other.

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

I foted, but actually it's too early maybe. I'm pro change, but would have the possibility to change to the old way if later on I decide I don't really like it enough. Is that not possible?

Also I am in favor of a frob-hold for body manupilation, so I don't have to keep pressing the mouse button while moving the body around. So that's why I chose other.

Thanks for voting!

I tried to answer your questions here:

• Thanks 2

On 10/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, datiswous said:

Would be a good idea to have a settings option for that.