The Dark Mod Forums

[2.12] viewpos on player HUD and screenshots

Daft Mugi

26 minutes ago, jaxa said:

Was there a specific version of TDM that started putting the coordinates in screenshot file names? Because my current installation does that and now I don't bother with the overlay anymore.

Yes, 2.11 added the coordinates to the screenshot filename.

Some players change the filename and some websites rename it (e.g. removing spaces between the coordinates or other changes). That can make it hard to know where the player was when an issue was found.

Having the coordinates in the filename is helpful, and the new cvar and command can be used as needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaxa said:

Was there a specific version of TDM that started putting the coordinates in screenshot file names? Because my current installation does that and now I don't bother with the overlay anymore.

Unfortunately, TDM forum deletes the separator between the numbers.
So I have to guess where one number ends and the next starts 😁

Also, user can rename screenshot manually, or push it through something that would rename it automatically. Thenwe won't see coordinates on screenshot address on forums.

3 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Unfortunately, TDM forum deletes the separator between the numbers.
So I have to guess where one number ends and the next starts 😁

Also, user can rename screenshot manually, or push it through something that would rename it automatically. Thenwe won't see coordinates on screenshot address on forums.

I've uploaded beta testing screenshots to Flickr albums for years, and it preserves file names. I will hit the 1000 cap for free accounts soon, so I'll have to delete the decade old ones.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, Daft Mugi said:

For example, I have the following bound:

This doesn't work with binding to certain keys. For example if I do:

bind "KP_SLASH" "screenshot viewpos 1.3"

It does create the screenshot with the gamma change, but there's no viewpos on the screenshot.

Edited by datiswous

36 minutes ago, datiswous said:

This doesn't work with binding to certain keys. For example if I do:

bind "KP_SLASH" "screenshot viewpos 1.3"

It does create the screenshot with the gamma change, but there's no viewpos on the screenshot.

I see there is a missing "_" between "screenshot" and "viewpos". Does it work when the underscore is included, like so:

bind "KP_SLASH" "screenshot_viewpos 1.3"

I've only tested F11 and KP_SLASH . A lot of keys are already bound to settings. I have to do further testing. Btw. during the screenshot I see it shortly displaying the viewpos, maybe this happens too fast or too slow for some reason.

7 hours ago, datiswous said:

Btw. during the screenshot I see it shortly displaying the viewpos, maybe this happens too fast or too slow for some reason.

Yep. The implementation is roughly as follows:

tdm_show_viewpos 2; wait; screenshot; tdm_show_viewpos 0

(It's a bit more sophisticated than this, because it sets the ambient gamma and restores the user values.)

That's why you see the viewpos flash on screen, and the "screenshot" is done between viewpos enabled and disabled.

So, it showing the viewpos when bound to F11 and not when bound to KP_SLASH is very odd. 🤔

51 minutes ago, Daft Mugi said:
tdm_show_viewpos 2; wait; screenshot; tdm_show_viewpos 0

I did a test by manually:

bind "KP_SLASH" "tdm_show_viewpos 2; wait; screenshot; tdm_show_viewpos 0"

This gives me no viewpos in the screenshot.

If I change it to this:

bind "KP_SLASH" "tdm_show_viewpos 2; wait; wait; screenshot; tdm_show_viewpos 0"

It does save the viewpos in the screenshot.

Maybe you can change the command into double wait; to make it more reliable? I think certain key input is quicker?

Or is it possible to give the full command including the gamma change, so I can test with that included as well?

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

Maybe you can change the command into double wait; to make it more reliable?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll test out that change.

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

Or is it possible to give the full command including the gamma change, so I can test with that included as well?

The full command is similar to:

tdm_show_viewpos 2; r_ambientGamma 1.3; wait; screenshot; tdm_show_viewpos 0; r_ambientGamma 1

On 1/19/2024 at 3:33 AM, Daft Mugi said:

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll test out that change.

See also this post from @jonri about the original command I used for screenshots and look at the amount of wait's:

bind "KP_SLASH" "con_noprint 0;wait;wait;wait;getviewpos;wait;wait;wait;screenshot;con_noprint 1"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

added it to this article.

You made a lot of changes to Console Useful Controls but some need explaining I think. For example:

listEntities GLOB lists all alive entities whose names match given glob/wildcard (e.g. use asterisks like *func_static* to search for substring).

What are alive entities?

teleportArea N teleports the player into the area with number N

What are numbered area's? How can you view the numbers?

g_timeModifier 2 Same as timescale 2 but somewhat different

How is it different?

I've added tdm_show_viewpos and screenshot_viewpos to here: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Console_Useful_Controls

I know they are already mentioned here, there isn't much of an explanation about the arguments and it's nice to have all these commands on one page.

• Like 1