The Dark Mod Forums

Paintings (open)

sparhawk

We have Painting 1-4b on CVS, but in truth they are all the same. There are actually only two different paintings, so why are there 5 different models on CVS?

Either remove the superflous ones, or replace them with different paintings (preferably).

Aren't they different sized models but with the same texture? I'll have to look at them.

The texture wouldn't work propely on a brush. The UV map is set up in a specific way so the frame an picture can be the same image and an easy template to change.

all that needs to be done is to write duplicate shaders for the frame model,. each point to a different image of a painting.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Once I learn how to do that I'll be able to substitute several different kinds of paintings. I've got a dozen or more sitting around here somewhere.

I'll have to upload a bunch of duplicates of the picture model, each one pinting to a series of materials called models/props/textures/painting03, models/props/textures/painting04, etc

We already have 01 and 02, so I'll start at 03.

I'll put another 8 versions of the model, so you can make images called painting03_d'tga and go up to painting10_d.tga Also don't forget to make normal maps to go with them.

edit: That's done, you just have eto upload the appropriate tga files.

I deleted the old paintings lwo files since they weren't named correctly. They now go from painting01 to painting 10.

Only painting 01 and 02 work yet until SH uploads his new paintings.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Isn't it fairly easy to resize picture models in the editor? If not, then we can just have different sized paintings, but of different images, not a big and small version of the same painting.

Then Odd is right. We should have at least three different sizes of paintings (small, average and large). We won't duplicate any of the images though...if FM authors desperately want a particular image at a different size, they can modify it themselves.

Yes, even 30 picture models is only 90kb) THey're onyl 30 triangles each.

We don't need to worry about landscape and portrait sizes, since it's just a matter of how your set up the image in the texture.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, I've been collecting dozens of appropriate paintings. Just trying to figure out how to import them into the editor to see how they look and then I'll upload them to CVS.

Well if you wanted it done fast you should have asked someone who already knows how to do it. If you want me to learn how to do them, then it will take as long as it takes.

Seeing as I posted the textures well over six months ago and no one did anything with them, then I assume there's no serious rush to have them in game.

We didn't need it done instantly, but a week is a bit of a liberty.

I think you should start learning how to texture models, it's only a small step for an artist.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That's my intention. The actual artistic part is easy, it's the learning curve for the software that slows me down. It's taken me two days to figure out how the hell to load the paintings in the D3 editor.

There are good tutorials out there, but they generally assume you know how to do basic noob things like load models into the game. :)

Ok, here's the first three. They're just reusing the same frame. Odd, is it safe to assume that the normalmap provides all the detail for the frame? In other words, if I found a different frame image and did a normalmap for it (as long as it's the same width as the original) it will fit onto the painting model ok?

paintings5.jpg