The Dark Mod Forums

Tiny Request That May Take Some Time

firoso

It seems to me that the success of many mods is based on public interest.

my suggestion is take a bunch of screenies and have sort of a pic of the day section, even it it's just a texture, or anything like that to show us somthing we haven't seen, even if it's just one of the guard models from a different angle... you could prolly take 20 or 30 in just 10 minutes and keep a months' worth of pics... but yah, you're gaining interest here fast, but you're losing it slowly over time, you need somthign that people will keep checking back often but as is, the forums are slow, aand news posts are very rare, but if you posted somthing, ANYTHING once a week, even if it's a link to a forum thread of interest etc, you could keep public interest up... just my 0.02 worth.

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

It seems to me that the success of many mods is based on public interest.

my suggestion is take a bunch of screenies and have sort of a pic of the day section, even it it's just a texture, or anything like that to show us somthing we haven't seen, even if it's just one of the guard models from a different angle... you could prolly take 20 or 30 in just 10 minutes and keep a months' worth of pics... but yah, you're gaining interest here fast, but you're losing it slowly over time, you need somthign that people will keep checking back often but as is, the forums are slow, aand news posts are very rare, but if you posted somthing, ANYTHING once a week, even if it's a link to a forum thread of interest etc, you could keep public interest up... just my 0.02 worth.

Well, we've been around for two years now, so we're not too concerned about dropping off the map. :) As for weekly updates, we feel that's a bit much. We update on a regular montly basis, when we have something we feel is worth mentioning. The trouble with posting on a weekly/ daily basis is that you have nothing left to pull out of your hat for special occassions. We tried the massive updating when we began, it serves the project better to be reserved about what we update.

We talked about pic of the day too, and decided we don't need it.

well you'd all know better :-P

Just a thought that i figured I'd share. One more thought that i had at work tonight, but is the engine far enough along or even close to far enough along to have a "training map" kinda like training in thief 1? i mean you'd only need the basic inv system, basic detection methods and maybe readables or somthing like that, just thoguth that'd be a cool preview in the future.

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

We already implemented a big Yellow Arrow pointing to the nearest loot location. This works fine already, so all those people who find it hard to get int Thief should have no problem with this aid.

For hardcore ghosters the arrow can be toned down to a dark brown. :)

After all, we want TDM to become as accessible as possible. :)

Gerhard

You must understand this. Not everybody has the time to spend 15 minutes of straight time playing with a single game. With so many games out there to play, people have to schedule their time, and this means that the games have to become accessible. Not to mention all the other hobbies, which also compete for time.

Gerhard

You must understand this. Not everybody has the time to spend 15 minutes of straight time playing with a single game. With so many games out there to play, people have to schedule their time, and this means that the games have to become accessible. Not to mention all the other hobbies, which also compete for time.

wow.... i want to frame that and put it on my wall.

can you do us a favor and tell us what's currently under development then? and is there any way that I can help, cuz I can't model, skin, or map. I can write but it looks like you have plenty there, all I'm really good at is coming up with UI and interface stuff which isn't exactly a problem for you all, that and fleshing out game worlds i'm not bad at being an amature game designer myself

Edited by firoso

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

We already implemented a big Yellow Arrow pointing to the nearest loot location. This works fine already, so all those people who find it hard to get int Thief should have no problem with this aid.

For hardcore ghosters the arrow can be toned down to a dark brown. :)

After all, we want TDM to become as accessible as possible. :)

You forgot to mention that all the player has to do is press one button to play the game. All the rest has been fully automated..ala...T3 autoblackjacking. :) The player is automatically moved through the level on rails. You just have one button to worry about...X. It stops movement. All other action is handled for you, since the player really shouldn't need to worry about such things.

Who said this before? I can't quite put my finger on it...

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to release my FMs to be fast to play. closer to a movie than a first person game. The Seventh Crystal is an excellent example of a good mission. There must be good story, a well designed locale, nice objects, voices, skins, textures, well built places, lighting, etc. But then it shouldn't require the player to spend 3 hours of an evening in some boring mansion or catacombs. The player should have maximum choice of course of action, some challenges to use the head, but nothing too time consuming and tedious.