The Dark Mod Forums

Great Images Of Old Stuff And Paintings....museum

AluminumHaste

I found this website of a museum which allows you too see all it's exhibits online.

http://www.philamuseum.org/visit/54-5.html

Click on the "On View" tab, then click on any room in the picture to get the list of stuff in that room. Pretty good pictures and some good ideas for modelers. :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I found this website of a museum which allows you too see all it's exhibits online.

http://www.philamuseum.org/visit/54-5.html

Ya, the Philly Art Museum is just down the block from me. It has a very extensive medieval armor and weapons exhibit as part of its permanent display. VERY ornate stuff, some of it.

Of course it also has a display of OXO Good Grips gadgets and a statue of Rocky Balboa out front. These are likely less useful for TDM, I'm guessing.

• 3 weeks later...
Ya, the Philly Art Museum is just down the block from me. It has a very extensive medieval armor and weapons exhibit as part of its permanent display. VERY ornate stuff, some of it.

Of course it also has a display of OXO Good Grips gadgets and a statue of Rocky Balboa out front. These are likely less useful for TDM, I'm guessing.

Hey, I live right around the corner from the Museum as well! Im in the art museum district close to Girard boys college.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, I live right around the corner from the Museum as well! Im in the art museum district close to Girard boys college.

Yup same spot. Right next to the smoke stack. I love living in Fairmont. Thank God the Haunted Penitentiary is done for this year. I was getting tired of the lack of parking.

Edited by tolchocker

Photographs are copyright, however there is nothing wrong with using the subject matter as inspiration for your own original in-game creation.

Uh guys nobody owns the copyright of the mona lisa and stuff like that, it's in the public domain as most of that stuff is.

Uh guys nobody owns the copyright of the mona lisa and stuff like that, it's in the public domain as most of that stuff is.

Yes, but you couldn't copy a photograph of the Mona Lisa from a magazine, because it would be copyrighted by the publisher.

You could, however, take a photograph of the Mona Lisa yourself and do whatever you wanted with it.

Yes, but you couldn't copy a photograph of the Mona Lisa from a magazine, because it would be copyrighted by the publisher.

You could, however, take a photograph of the Mona Lisa yourself and do whatever you wanted with it.

If a picture has no watermark and doesn't warn the user that the use of said pictures is illegal, then go for it.

If you don't want to then fine, I'll use them in my maps, if I ever get my hands on the real tools you guys are using.

I'm just discussing the legality of it. What an individual chooses to do is up to them.

You could use this one though, apparently it's in the public domain.

As far as I know, ALL images on wikipedia are free to use and distribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for information, current US law as decided by Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp. court case states:

• Photographic reproductions of visual works in the public domain are not copyrightable, because the reproductions involve no originality.

This was upheld upon appeal. They say the situation is the same in Germany and in other unspecified countries.

Adding a watermark might be "transformative" enough to make it copyrightable, but then by that logic, cloning out or otherwise removing the watermark would probably be enough to give you the copyright on the resulting "new" version.

I've also been a user on the TTLG forum under the same name for a few years (been browsing this forum since its early days), but that forum doesn't show a user number, so who knows if it's a habit?

Tch is right in his answer, since I confronted this same issue not too long ago (and I took Copyright law).

Photographs of public domain artwork are also in the public domain *if* the photograph does not add any original elements on top of the artwork ... so if it is basically shot head-on perpendicular to the artwork and the boundaries of the artwork matches the photograph frame, etc.

It might be different if it's photographed at another angle, or showing the area around the artwork, or sometimes showing a detail of the painting, anything that could be labeled as a "creative" contribution, and EVEN THEN, the copyright is only for the creative contribution (the angle or the arrangement of the surrounding space). So, e.g., you could arguably crop the photo to just take away the public domain part of it and be ok if none of the creative part remained.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, pity it didn't translate into 3d very well.

I notice that is often the case. It's as if concept artists in video games are nothing more than sources of inspiration, but really nothing they do gets translated into actual visual design.