The Dark Mod Forums

Need everyone's major input on this one

Unstoppable

For many months now i've come to respect the people here. Even though I reside in the U.S. and was born in Costa Rica i'm also Italian. The point is I get along with many of you and you're from Europe which is where my roots are. (My grandfather fought in World War 2 and lived in Rome, Italy)

With that out of the way I got a great idea that i've been itching to do for a while. I'm not sure if you guys heard of that website called unknownplayer. I think it was swallowed up by Ugo as the guy sold out.

Well I was thinking of starting something like that but not as egotistic. It's gonna be an independent view on PC gaming. Like why should we have to put up with Microsoft Vista when it's pure crap type of thing. Or how come they just love to rub in Halo 2 and Lost Planet exclusives when they really aren't all that great.

It's not to bash Microsoft, it's to give out my opinion in an independent way. Talk about games, review games, and just have constructive discussions per say. Not really a forum but just a small back and forth after an article or review is written, then moving on to another story.

Kind of like a newspaper but not really like one. My question is of course how much danger would I be in? Would Microsoft or other companies come after me you think? I have read how notorious they can be. Should I fight the power, or just lay low in the underground? :laugh:

That sounds like a cool name hehe. No copying! This is copyrighted! :laugh:

So what do you guys think? I could really use your help. B)

Edited by Unstoppable

No offence, but this is not a "great idea". It's not even remotely original. The Internet is full of people setting up sites to expound their views on various things, and for the most part they produce mediocre uninteresting drivel that nobody cares about except their small circle of existing friends.

By all means set up a blog as Greebo suggested, but don't be surprised if you get far less interest than you are expecting.

Maybe in your blog, if you start reviewing games and stuff, you should review them from difference perspectives. Such as review from the standpoint of an action gamer, review from the standpoint of a strategy gamer and review from the standpoint of a realism player. On game sites that have only 1 raiting, I feel that they fail to entail who the game is appealing too.

Well, my advice is to find an established site, like an ezine, that already does what you're looking to do, and start submitting articles to them and just offering your time and support. You'll get more credibility much faster if you go through something already established rather than start your own thing, which will be automatically suspect. Research around. I enjoy reading some of the zines on independent PC gaming.

The other important part of my point is to say that the critical PC gaming community needs to be banding together more than fragmenting apart. It's also good that you gravitate to something already established because they honestly need the support/help, whereas if you go-it-alone you will find it hard to get support and only further fragment the community of people writing on this topic, just one more isolated site people would have to go to follow the trend when they'd prefer to go to just a few established sites. Plus the community and support you'll get from an established site would be honestly energizing, I'd think.

Better to be a smaller fish among many, but you'll be part of the team, than a bigger fish that's lonely in your own bowl.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I like to read game reviews if they are well done and balanced. In game mags I have the feeling that they are more geared towards advertisment customers. The more ads a game company runs, the more friendly the review is, no matter how the game is.

I remember in one mag where a review of TDS was done, where the tester claimed to be a big fan of Thief and at the same time was happy that TDS was more action oriented. This somehow doesn't connect for me. The same tester played also "Sniper Elite" which is basically a hunter game, where you also have to observe your environment and plan ahead instead of mindelessly running around and shooting enemies. The AI is really good and gave me some nice surprises, but she gave it a bad rating because she found it boring to lie low and watch the environment before proceeding. In that regard it is very similar to Thief, even though it's a WWII scenario. Luckily enough, the description that she gave of the game was enough to let me know that I could enjoy this game, and I found it great despite her bad report (boring slow paced, outdated graphics, etc.).

Gerhard

I just heard that Microsoft held an emergency summit this morning, entitled 'How to Crush Unstoppable?' Several good methods were put forward, including use of the ginger beer trick.

In 12 hours any trace of my existence will be erased. Including this very website and anything ever tied to it. You're too late.

I am Helios

:laugh: