The Dark Mod Forums

Model Tweaks

Springheel

Some of our really old models could use a little touching up, so I've been going through where I can and making some adjustments. I'm trying to keep the dimensions and origin the same in case they're already being used in maps (but I'm also grid-aligning them at the same time, so they might be a bit off). Here's the first alteration to squarehanginglamp.lwo.

lamps1.jpg

(edit: Moved to forum where beta-mappers can see it)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's completely new model, Springheel! :) and of course much nicer!

On the model tweaking topic - I was actually preparing a list of my models to be tweaked, cause somehow I feel that some of them are not finished.

Here are some of them:

1) standing candelabra - it doesn't have any candle models, cause it was meant to have some attachable in the map. But I think that it would be better to make it with some candles, so it's easier to use. We can leave a version without candles as well, if there's a need for that.

I was also thinking about making it moveable (but not frobbable). It wouldn't look too believable if it still stands after an fire arrow explosion. And besides that - we're lacking moveable objects...

2) graveyard models - need skins declarations and couple more thombstone textures.

3) curtains - need more textures

4) Some textures are too bright, I think. (I was working on wrong settings on my LCD). I think well, curtains, black boar, curtains and maybe some other textures need some darkening.

5) The Hammer statues need bottom polygons.

Anything else you can think of?

The candelabra and the hammer statues were the only ones I could think of. It would be nice to get some curtain textures that 'go with' some of our other textures...I keep meaning to make some skins for them but always forget.

I added a new surface to our painting models so that the back looks like it's made out of boards rather than a smear of colour--this way we can have paintings leaned up against walls or laying around in attics without them looking too strange.

paintings8.jpg

I redid one of the models that's been bugging me ever since I first saw it--the cake. It used to look like a hexagon-shaped internal organ from some weird creature. I've redone it with something about the same basic size and position, since it seems to get a lot of use in maps. My version is more of a loaf than a cake, but at least it's recognizable.

cake1.jpg

I'm using lightwave. I'm not making all these from scratch, mind you...the new lantern was basd on a version that already existed, I just altered some things and changed the uvmap. I'm still pretty new at modeling, but I've learned just enough to make some simple things and improve existing models. :)

I hope you like the new "cake" since I know you used it in your city map. :)

The cake has to go. It's about 20 polys and looks terrible in-game, like it was taken straight out of Thief 2. I'm sure your wife's look terrific, however. ;)

I forgot about the cake, yes it was bad. I wouldn't mind seeing a round one though apart from the loaf.

Glad you made that loaf, it's exactly what I had in mind (I swear I was going to make some of this stuff :) )

Might as well make another versiuon of it since it would be very easy, just scale it so it's skinny and looks like french bread.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I saw the roundstreetlamp.lwo in Fidcal's map and it spurred me on to update it. While I was at it, I added some skins.

lamps2.jpg

I don't know, but I think I may have stumbled on an easy way to have partially transparent windows. If you notice, there's an opaque lit and unlit version, and a transparent lit and unlit one. I have to do a few more tests, but the transparent version of the lamp looks quite good, and doesn't use any vertex shaders.

There's nothing stopping a mapper from putting an emitter inside the lantern and adding a candle-flame...that would probably look pretty cool. The transparent skins are just an option though. There are times where opaque looks better.

• 3 weeks later...

I updated the player lantern. Didn't change that much, just made the hanger larger so it's easier to hold, and changed the glass so it fit more with our existing lanterns.

I also made a version with the hood closed.

I updated the inventory icons as well.

lantern2.jpg

Oops, good call on the smoothing...I forgot to weld the vertices when I was done that one.

I guess this is as good a spot as any. I haven't yet learned how to delete anyhing from the SVN server, could use a explanation, don't want to mess anything up. In the meantime:

castironsign1.lwo needs deleted. That's the old model, I tweaked it some awhile back, ironsignmount.ase is the new model.

I've fixed and added my chest lock model. I'm gonna add it to:

models>darkmod>locks

I know it's another directory but I think it makes sense. Hopefully we will end up with a few more of these for different chest types. We can also put the lockbox handles in here to keep 'em organized.

It also makes more sense than in chests OR door_related because they can be used for both, on a chest or on a wall for a door.

I'd also like to see a geared lockbox, ect...

wheelbarrow02.lwo has gravel in it. The gravel has really bad texturing like it was optimized AFTER uv mpping, that needs fixed. Not sure but it might be best to rebuild inside of it under gravel. gravelk could have optonal nodraw skin for an empty model.

bathtub01.lwo , I'd suggest we get rid of the water spout/nozzles on side. It limts this model to only being used againt a wall one way. too limiting.

We can make a better looking water spout and knobs. One knob and it could be made to rotate and turn water on/off. Could also be used for other valves.

I looked thru the whole list and those were the only things I think need changed. I think everything is pretty solid as a whole.

You can delete files from SVN by right-clicking the offending file, then choose SVN > Delete. This will mark the file for deletion. As soon as you choose SVN Commit the files are actually deleted from SVN.

Note that the files are not lost forever, they are still available in the earlier revisions (=SVN history).

models>darkmod>locks

I know it's another directory

Locks and keys should go in door_related.

Also, be careful about just deleting things at will even if you revise them...those models may already exist in maps.

thanks for the tips. I thought maybe delete just did a local delete in my folders.

But I didn't want to mess anyone up. That's why we need to make sure no one is using that sign mount. You can see the problem in model veiwer, one of the edges is turned wrong and leaves a poly out in the curve at th end, looks pretty bad.

I also moved the hooks down the pole a bit to give a little more room for signs to clear the base.

I never did like that 'door_related' name designation. It's too door related. As these lock boxes are meant for chests it seems like an odd place for em, but I guess people will figure it out.

But I didn't want to mess anyone up. That's why we need to make sure no one is using that sign mount.

It's probably better to just fix the existing model rather than make a new one. That way no one has to change anything in their maps. That's what I've been doing with the rest of the models above--if the origin stays the same it shouldn't mess anything up.

I realize you've already made a new .ase in this case, so perhaps I'll take the existing model and make something new out of it. If mappers want that hanger specifically, they can switch models, but at least this way they won't have a black box.