The Dark Mod Forums

House Guard Modeling Tutorial?

oDDity

I was thinking of making a video tutorial of me modeling the latest character I'm going to do - the house guard that springhel posted ysterday.

I know some of you have got hold of Lightwave recntly, and maybe I can convert some more of you when I show how easy it is to knock up a character using the male model template I provided (on the FTP)

I'm going to use camtasia to shoot the video, so I can also make pop up tool tips to describe all the steps.

And I'll show how the normal maps are done and the importing into doom.

Good idea, or a fucking waste of time?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Heh, you won't believe just how easy it actually is) You'll all be saying 'ah so that's how he did that priest that we all thought was uber, jeez I could do that myself in half an hour now!'

It''ll also double as a lightwave modeling tutorial of course.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear oDDity :)

Man just show how you really modelling and making that MAP..and how you send this thing to Doom3engine..

I promise i will put your portrait on my wall...I will support your kids after you pass away...I will find you in armageddon and steal for you the blessing of supreme beings...

:)

best

Ok, I'm uploading part one 'laying out the basics' now to the Darkmod/tutorials' folder on the FTP.

It's 30 minutes long and going to take about 4 hours to upload, since it's 60 mb and I'm still on this damn 56k:/

I encoded it as an swf flash movie, since it's half the size of an avi encoded with xvid and better quality.

Just click on the html file to view it in a browser.

The main point at this stage of the modleing is to keep the meshes as low poly as possible.

Part 2 coming to a theatre near you soon!

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear oDDity,

as i told you .. i will put your picture on my wall.. send me one!!!

Thanks man..

I was thinking it s gonna take a month .. you are fast as modeller, fastest as video tutorial maker....

My goodness..

It will be awesome

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST

dear oDDity,

I have downloaded 12 Meg. Quality is awesome..So detailed explanation in text boxes...You gonna make'em lightwavers man...Lightwaver Builder!

Im curious...( i always was ) I have seen that two buttons Normal MAP and Normal Map Baker...you gonna explain them...right?... Man..it will be awesome...

New Video Tutorials from other masters of level is being expected...This MOD will be turning to a learning ACADEMY soon...

"Which university?.....I didnt get it from your CV"

"The DARK MOD academy....sir...It s in the dark world.."

"Oh My God! You dont need anyting else..Come ...pack your stuff..."

"Thanks sir!..."

"Are you gonna show the mark on your left arm...I read somewhere they are putting some mark on their left shoulders with burning iron"

"I usually dont show it to males sir..."

Best...

Edited by TYROT

JHving trouble uploading it, it always seems to fail at about 12 MB.

Don't know if it's my shitty 56k AOL connection or a limit on FTP file sizes.

I'll either have to slit it into pieces or wait till I get my DSL connection (hopefully before Fiday.

Also I noticed the Flash movie looks like slow motion and pretty jerky since I had to encode it at 8 FPS, but it's worth it for half the file size.

BTW, Tyrot, I look forward to reading your morning bouts of insanity - it keeps me sane!

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

I've discovered better compression techniques now anyway, it doesn't look as good, but it's smaller.

TYROT, I'm uploading a normal mapping tutorial to the FTP now, also it shows getting the object into doom.

It's not as good quaity as the last one, but it's only 4MB.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I see your normal mapping vid (very cool, btw), but I'm not seeing the character modelling one today. I saw it last night -- I was thinking since it was only 12MB that you were still uploading -- but now it's not in the folder :ph34r:

Great job on the normal mapping vid. If I ever get my hands on Lightwave, it'll be cool to try.

I'll upload it soon, I managed to compress it down to 25 Mb so hopefully I can sucessfuly transfer it now.

It's only part one btw, there will proabably be 3 or 4 parts in total.

edit:Actually, By winraring it I just got it down to 13 MB )

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'll upload it soon, I managed to compress it down to 25 Mb so hopefully I can sucessfuly transfer it now.

It's only part one btw, there will proabably be 3 or 4 parts in total.

That's really a great job. If lightwave isn't so expensive I would give it a try myself.

BTW: I hope all the guys who are submitting models from lightwave have a valid licence. Normaly I don't care, but I don't want to get into troubles because there might be some watermark in the files or something similar.

Gerhard

BTW: I hope all the guys who are submitting models from lightwave have a valid licence. Normaly I don't care, but I don't want to get into troubles because there might be some watermark in the files or something similar.

well we'd just have to import them in blender and then export them again. this way there wouldn't be any watermark of lightwave or something like that in the file.

and BTW a few weeks ago there was a scandal, because someone found somekind of watermark of a crack of a sound-application in a windows-sound file - microsoft works with warez-software :lol: