The Dark Mod Forums

3d guy reporting for duty

mike mayday

Ok, after all those years...

As you might remember, I do 3d stuff. Never actually worked on lowpoly until recently (joined an amateur game project). Here are some examples:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/fil...thel/armour.jpg

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/fil...enthel/helm.jpg

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/a.png

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/b.png

I'd also love to do some beta mapping, of course. Strange as it might be, here's a sample of my mapping skills ;)http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/podkowa.exe

So. Whaddaya think?

P.S. Also some hi-poly modelling maybe?

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/files/shot.jpg

Edited by mike mayday

The helmet is really cool. Guy wearing it is cool too. It could use a tex adjustment on the tail though, the hair grain need to bend around the top.

I like the high poly guy alot, has alot of character, good details.

What's that .exe all about???

Have you been doing any normal mapping?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It's a house scene that you can fly around in. Similar quality to the low-poly modelling screenshots.

I ran it in Wine under Linux, where I don't have a virus checker, so I couldn't tell you for sure if it's "safe", but it looks perfectly legit to me. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yes, the exe is the only reason I joined these forums two years ago (this is my second account): I wanted to gain your trust and then infect your PCs!

Anyway, I use Blender, Springy. Has decent export/import capabilities, collaborates with all main software.

Baddcog: I'm working on a normal map for the low-poly goblin right now.

Yes, the exe is the only reason I joined these forums two years ago (this is my second account): I wanted to gain your trust and then infect your PCs!

A devious and cunning plan, sir! :D

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Doesn't matter, you can also apply this way. New Horizon can move your thread to the application section, which would also happen if you apply via email. :)

Sorry for the suspicion about the the exe, but I don't even open these "fun" applications that I get sent by real friends of mine. It's a matter of principle.

Gerhard

We'll need to know what position you're interested in. Team member vs beta-mapper isn't as different as it used to be, but there are small differences.

If you'd like to be a full team-member, that will give you access to all the forums, so you can participate in design decisions, etc, but are expected to follow some general directions about what you're working on. If you'd like to be a beta-mapper, you essentially have the freedom to do whatever mapping or modelling you want, but you don't get access to the mysterious, inner workings of the mod.

Your choice. :)

Yeah, I figured as much.

I do have thousands of ideas as everyone around here, I'm sure- but I imagine it's too late to attempt to introduce them at this point.

I'll just post a suggestion thread in the general forums and be happy with a beta-mapper position, creating any models I find necessary (although I'll be taking requests if necessary). Besides, I have a pretty tight schedule (architecture studies) so I don't think I'd make for a valuable team member.

Well, I DIDN'T join the forum 2 years ago so I could remember everyone's name just in case someone tried to sneak in with a virus ;)

Anyway, I am suspicious of all exe files.

I really liked the high poly guy. But to me the lowpoly guy kindof seemed like he was a concept for the high poly guy. And I think some big overall improvements were made to the high poly guy. I may be wrong though, you might have intended 2 completely different characters.

And I'm not sure what the plans are for the low poly guy, he looks more serious as an enemy.

But I think you should redo the low poly guy. Just build a new lowpoly mesh around the high poly one (around meaning to match in size/shape - it should acutally be 'within' the high poly mesh slightly)

uv map him but don't paint. Then run renderbump thru doom3 for a normal map for him. Use that to make a diffuse also.

That would be less work than making a highpoly version of the lowpoly guy.

What kind of poly counts are we talking about anyway?

-------------

Not defending modelling turf or anything. We can always use more models. But being a beta mapper would probably help the team the most, I think it's good for new people to come in and see what they can do with the editor, see what probs they run into, ect...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well- the high poly is my personal "fun" project, to be animated, not entirely serious- a greedy goblin thief.

The low poly is somewhat of a derivative (though mostly redone anew), a usual goblin enemy for a simple game I'm helping create- so yeah, it's supposed to be a completely different thing. It's 2963 vertices.

So yeah, I'd like the beta-mapper position. Is the verification in progress? :P

Ungh... I PMd Hawk about the account and no response. I'm burning with anticipation!

Sorry Mike, that was my mistake. Beta Mappers have access to a special beta mapper repository.

All the info is in the level editing stickies section. Here is the relevant info.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5603

Well, in that thread it says:

"Since betamppers can now also access the mainmod the URL for this would be:

You have to register for this, by sending me a password, and I will assign you a username, that you can use to access the mod for downloading. Writing to it will not be possible, but at least you can sync to the current level, without the need of massive downloads."