The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3 teaser inside

Unstoppable

Just watched the trailer.

Underwhelming.

I hear that alot, but simply put this is just a tease, just to tell us a third game is coming. It could have been white text on black background that says 'Deus Ex 3 is coming', but they like to sex things up with bombastic marketing <_<

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had the Dragon Sword alright. It was just near the end of the game (

in the Hong Kong apartment in JC's artic base

), used the same model as the "energy katana," or whatever the fuck it was called, and was only a slight improvement over the base "energy" butterknife.

Ah. Yeah, that sounds about right. Present, but nerfed to the point of uselessness.

WTF was with

that weird ur-in-jc's-head-lolz sequence

anyway? Talk about a non sequitur. Sigh. I mean, I get the in-world explanation, it's clear enough, but why?

@Vadrosaul: Seems like that was the idea. I think they failed, though. White text on a black background would have been better, because a video implies that you've got something to show. It sets up an expectation, which is then miserably dashed by the complete and utter lack of actual content. A simple message saying "Deus Ex 3 is coming!" would have had more of an impact.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Mmm. Different situation though. Eidos didn't need to come up with a whole prerendered video just for that. Some text on a webpage with "Deus Ex 3 is coming!" and the contents of the voiceover would be sufficient to generate the same amount of excitement without the let-down. The Deus Ex franchise has already proved itself good enough to be capable of getting that response from a text-based announcement (and maybe a couple of prerendered screenshots), whereas I suspect TDM hadn't at that point. And TDM needs the buzz more than DX does, since that's one of few ways we can recruit people to work on the mod. I'll eat my hat if a simple "Deus Ex 3 is coming" message wouldn't have seen Eidos Montreal flooded with resumes.

Actually the worst thing about the video was the wince-inducing movie-style voiceover I think, but anyway...

I'll shut up now. :laugh:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, the teaser is pretty average IMO. Not much to see. Maybe somebody who knows the previous installments sees more, but for me there is just this rotation of that model and the voiceover. The accustics are well done and straightforward. No surprises there. Personally I think our teaser was better, because it showed some actual work, even though it was mostly concepts and half finished models.

Gerhard

Deus Ex is my favourite game of all time. I loved it even more than Thief. There's so many little details to discover. I saw some time ago a video in which a small military bot ran out of ammo and started to run away. I mean, I finished the game a couple of times but never saw it before! You would rather avoid the bot or destroy it or just die before it went out of ammo. And those pigeons :) It's the best bird implementation in a computer game I've seen. I would love to see those in Dark Mod.

It's only a model...

I liked the teaser, pretty cool, with some "easter eggs" to find by stopping frame-by-frame in the middle. Teasers are often "nothing", and this one was a nice "nothing" with a neat little surprise ending

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

The person(s) leading this team are brand new from those that led Deus Ex 2. Let me just clarify that you probably won't see the stupid universal ammo that Harvey Smith brought in. He's not associated with this project in any shape, way, or form.

Just have faith people this game is gonna kick ass. I have a feeling along with many of us long time fans that's it's a pre quel. Just look at the images I posted earlier.

Perhaps we can play as Paul or JC in the Academy, or someone else. Find out what truly happend to JC's parents etc. Also I don't understand why you believe it's an underwhelming trailer. For every Deus Ex fan that felt let down with Deus Ex 2, it's everything we'd hope for. A chance for a a worthy sequel to DX 1.

Edited by Unstoppable

Just have faith people this game is gonna kick ass.

I prefer not to have faith. That way, if it's as crappy as DX2 then I won't be as disappointed. But in the unlikely (as Gildoran says) event that it actually manages to live up to the original, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. Either way I win, compared to the alternative of believing the hype and then being let down.

Also I don't understand why you believe it's an underwhelming trailer. For every Deus Ex fan that felt let down with Deus Ex 2, it's everything we'd hope for. A chance for a a worthy sequel to DX 1.

1. I already knew they were making DX3 before I saw the video, so that wasn't a revelation.

2. A crappy voiceover and a camera slowly moving over an indistinct and bloomed-to-heck model is not what I'd call exciting.

Nothing exciting -> underwhelming.

I agree with Cripsy on this issue; I wonder how much time, money and other resources were wasted in making this stupid teaser. Probably not much, it might only take a day for a skilled artist or whatever to pull it off; but it's just so wasteful when, as has already been said, a simple text message in the announcements section would probably have more panache. I would rather the developers spend that time and resources fixing bugs or improving gameplay. And as for hiring that wanker to do a voice-over, imo it bodes ill for the game.

Every damn hollywood blockbusta! trailer has that same twit trying to sound as impressive as he can in a deep voice, I seriously believe if you correlated using that guy(s) voiceover in the trailers of a film with the actual end quality of the film you'd probably get some startling results. I've always found that narration pointless and irritating.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

But a simple text message isn't an "event".

Not many are going to click a link to get to a site just to see a text message.

You read the message wherever you saw it first, and that's it.

But people click a link to see a video.

From one perspective, it doesn't matter much what the video said.

It got people to come to it; they are already a tiny bit more invested in following the game now.

There's a psychology to it, I think.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Every damn hollywood blockbusta! trailer has that same twit trying to sound as impressive as he can in a deep voice, I seriously believe if you correlated using that guy(s) voiceover in the trailers of a film with the actual end quality of the film you'd probably get some startling results. I've always found that narration pointless and irritating.

I am with you on that (twit and all), but I think you will find they use the same guy (which is probably just a computer program :P and thus the quality-assurance would be the same for all movies, no?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Got some new info for you guys from official Eidos forums. Deus Ex 3 is going to use the Tomb Raider Revival engine from Crystal Dynamics.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176735

Here's a Q &A.

http://www.developmag.com/interviews/104/Q...-Eidos-Montreal

Just started reading but it looks like this time they chose something that has already been established and won't waste time like Ionstorm Austin did with Invisible War. I have high hopes for this game.

Edited by Unstoppable

More than just not wasting time, an internal engine means there will already be people who have worked on it for a while, with internal tutorials written, people know what it can do beyond the formal specs.

And the problem with Flesh wasn't so much that it wasted time, as that all these unforeseen limitations started coming out of the woodwork over time, whereas with an established engine there won't be any nasty surprises.

Another nice thing about the Crystal Dyn Engine is we can expect huge levels.

I hope one of the important lessons they take from DX is extensive world building, with a believable world that felt much bigger than just the player's next objective, one of my favorite aspects of the game.

I wonder if the fact that it was tailored for a 3rd person pov game, and now is being moved to a FPS makes much difference.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

deus ex is my 2nd favorite game (after Thief, of course)

I'm optimistic about how DX3 will turn out. From what I can piece together from the scare hard information out there about the game, they are developing this game more slowly than normal by using a few smaller team, each comprised of multi-disciplined members. on the one hand, this means we'll hafta wait an extra 8-12 months to actually see the game.... but on the upside, this means they are probably more focused on creating a game worthy of title Deus Ex, and less concious about generating as much raw revenue as possible in the least amount of time.

obviously, this doesn't prove that the game will be everything we've ever hoped for, but it's a step in the right direction, and i'm optimisic about what they'll create.

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

Well if there is another notch to add to the belt of Deus Ex 3 is that Crysal Dynamics was able to revive the franchise after the Tomb Raider: Fallen Angel fiasco. (buggy rushed game that did not deliver even worse than Invisible War)

They did it with Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider: Anniversary(a remake of Tomb Raider 1 on the new engine). It's definately going to be interesting to see what they can pull off.

Both new Tomb Raiders were very enjoyable, but it was especially Anniversary to suprise me with its big levels. I wondered whether they use some kind of blockloading as in Oblivion, but it didn't seem like that. I am assuming that they could only build that big levels on costs of the really beautifull next-gen mode, like we know it from Legend. I also heard though, that they didn't include it because of console limitations. (Damn you low-Ram gaming consoles) But Still: Tomb Raider Anniversary >> Best Tomb Raider ever!!