The Dark Mod Forums

Tricko for object modeler

New Horizon

We can always use quality textures, esp. wood, and the little house looks quite inspiring.

Cheers Tels!

Yes as I keep saying if I end up being accepted into the team, anything I've built to date that you can use will be made immediately available to you.

I really enjoy texturing too, so if the texturing dept. need any help anytime count me in.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you let me know which of the three contributor tasks you'd like to take on, I can supply you with some of our wood textures.

If you let me know which of the three contributor tasks you'd like to take on, I can supply you with some of our wood textures (if needed).

By all means use our existing wood textures, but I would never suggest not using a normal-map. All models should use a normal-map to simulate small details (or, if nothing else, wood grain).

If he used our wood textures then they would have a 'wood grain normal map'. Just not a specific normal map for carvings or other details that probably wouldn't exist on such a mundane object as a spinning wheel.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I still wouldn't advocate not using normal-maps, except perhaps for very small/simple objects. It's an extremely powerful tool that shouldn't be ignored, IMO.

My point is that on an object like the spinning wheel that doesn't have any details other than the structure of the wood can just be modeled to the shape. The wood grain of the normal map will give it the extra detail to make it look good, but there aren't any details that need an object specific normal map.

If it had someones name carved in the seat then it would.

But as is a simple wood object that can be modeled to shape can just use basic woods thus saving shader loading (if that wood is used elsewhere in the same scene) and also saving mod bloat for unecessary normal maps.

Nowhere did I say to ignore normal maps or that they shouldn't be used. I didn't specify that he should use our wood tex with our wood tex normal map... I just took for granted that this is understood. You use our wood shader you get the diffuse, specular and bump in one shot. I just meant that for the throne and wheel specific normals aren't needed.

I recently made some 'timber' furniture. Basically small logs. They use the wood shaders we have and look fine. But they don't use a normal specifically for them. I've also been working on machines in this same vien. They used the normals from the metal textures that are stock.

I don't think we're disagreeing very much.

Nowhere did I say to ignore normal maps or that they shouldn't be used

I think I misunderstood what you meant by:

Since there aren't any intricate carvings or anything I don't think normals are needed.

I still wouldn't advocate not using normal-maps, except perhaps for very small/simple objects. It's an extremely powerful tool that shouldn't be ignored, IMO.

Yes sorry Baddcog I'd agree with Springheel on that, they are extremley useful tools and I'm still just begining to learn how to use them. What little I've done with them has proved very powerful. It brings out the grain in wood textures a treat. I heard them described on a tutorial recently as bump maps on steroids! Have you seen this little tool http://www.crazybump.com/ it's fantastic! Forgive me here for my ignorance as I'm not really up on the technical side of things but why not use them where possible or do they cause any framerate slowdown if they are used alot?

For the contributor task I'd like to do the chandelier if that's ok. Doesn't really involve wood textures though, unless you want a wooden type one?

If he used our wood textures then they would have a 'wood grain normal map'. Just not a specific normal map for carvings or other details that probably wouldn't exist on such a mundane object as a spinning wheel.

-

My point is that on an object like the spinning wheel that doesn't have any details other than the structure of the wood can just be modeled to the shape. The wood grain of the normal map will give it the extra detail to make it look good, but there aren't any details that need an object specific normal map.

I sometimes think my posts barely get skimmed over if at all.

The wood grain normals would come from the wood shader. Thus using a wood texture on the object WOULD include a normal map for the wood grain. Just not a object specific normal map for things like carvings.

Maybe I think I'm speaking in english but I'm really speaking in portugese or something. I really don't see why I have to explain this simple concept 10 times.

Using a wood shader DOES use normals. Can it be more simple?

---------

Yes I have been using Crazy Bump. A great tool for making normal maps out of textures.

You can also make normal maps out of high poly meshes which is a great way to do it. This requires running the high and low poly thru Doom console.

So Crazy Bump would be a great way to make normals from wood grain tex.

Doom3 is a great way to make normals out of a hi poly mesh.

In the case of the spinning wheel you probably wouldn't need to make a normal map out of a high poly mesh as the details can pretty much be contained within the low poly, but you would want normals made from the wood grain (see my last 3 posts)

The Ancient Ones named it The Grumpiness. Whether it be dark faerietale or bitter reality, no one can truly say for sure. Whichever it is, it is said that in time, it soaks into the very bones of all who touch The Dark Mod. Once infected, the taint cannot be lifted, only managed, and with great effort.

The Ancient Ones named it The Grumpiness. Whether it be dark faerietale or bitter reality, no one can truly say for sure. Whichever it is, it is said that in time, it soaks into the very bones of all who touch The Dark Mod. Once infected, the taint cannot be lifted, only managed, and with great effort.

If you drink a magical potion called "Hot Chocolate", your Grumpiness-meter shows the Grumpiness-level going down for a while. :ph34r:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

A house I modified from an old tutorial I did a couple of years ago, that I though I'd use as a texturing exercise.

Had a go in recreating the house in DR:

post-144-1200922108_thumb.jpg

We don't seem to have matching textures, the lighting is ugh, and the house is still to straight. But it's fun :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Had a go in recreating the house in DR:

post-144-1200922108_thumb.jpg

We don't seem to have matching textures, the lighting is ugh, and the house is still to straight. But it's fun :)

A good copy there Tels, had to look twice to make sure if it was my model! Yes level editing is great fun.

I've installed Doom 3 on my PC but it runs like crap. I've installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and the most recent Doom 3 patch 1.3.

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

2.50GB of RAM

Geforce 7600 GT

Windows XP sevice pack 2

I've a 22inch monitor running at a resolution of 1680x1050 but even running it at 1024x768 (in window mode) with texture resolution set at low, it still just chugs along.

Anyone have any clues? :angry:

A good copy there Tels, had to look twice to make sure if it was my model! Yes level editing is great fun.

I do it to relax :) But my copy is really bad, it is way too straight and misses crucial details like the barred window and door. Of course, I will be stressed out another day and then I'll reopen it :D