The Dark Mod Forums

Albino Spiders.

oDDity

I haven't modeled any yet (maybe someone else would like to model them, or do some concept art) I'm thinking of those big bloated albino spiders - like the one that was in the warehouse in T2 on Shipping..recieving.

Those things were pretty freaky, we should definitely have them, and the baby ones.

IUf no one else fancies it, I'll do them.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yep, we definitely want spiders. Is it worth basing them on the D3 ones so we can use their animations?

I wonder why there weren't any in T3?

My guess is they were too concerned with "listening to everyone" while hearing no one. Thus,

1. People whine about loot hunts? We get loot glint.

2. People whine about "tap dance shoes" We get silent creeping and crouching.

3. People whine about wanting whiz-bang buzzword features o' the day - we get spinebreaker-yoga rubberjoint ragdolls.

4. People whine about spiders? They are removed and we get completely non-threatening rustmites.

<_<

It's not possible to use the doom 'head spiders' they only had 6 legs.

Even if they had 8 legs it would still be better to do our own spider anims, and not be constrained by any model template.

Spider anims are basically just idle, turn, walk, run, attack, being hit, dying. If only all creatures aims were that simple. We could do the wall and ceiling walking thing from doom though.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Idea: What if spiders were more real-worldly (at least optionally, perhaps an AI setting) in that, they don't patrol about, making noises.

They sit. Hidden.

And wait. Silently.

For you to be caught by them.

They could be the "Oh shit! Jeesuz! Damnit!" AI of the mod. Think you were afraid of spiders before? You ain't seen nothin'. >:)

Actually, I probably shouldn't be pushing for this... the Deceptive Perceptions spider was a majorly-cruel trick! Nearly had a coronary.

Edited by SneaksieDave

That should be easy...didn't they already work that way in D3? You just make them sit by their web until the player comes near, then....

• 5 months later...

I want a spider high up (20 feet?) in his cobweb in the middle of some high, circular, vaulted cave ceiling. Dark up there. Just sitting there upside down, clung to the ceiling. Not moving. No sounds. You can notice him, but only if you're really looking for him and paying attention. If you don't notice him, he's watching you. And if you make your way to the center of the room, beneath where he is... then *BAM!* The spider free-falls, silent until 5 feet above your head, then loud *screech-hiss-asfijwfs* ... you're F'd!

I was playing a level in T2X and thought this was happening, but nope. I was just disoriented. I thought I had noticed a spider on the ceiling, but nope, it was a dead spider on the ground that I had killed.

And the cool thing is about that type of situation, if they player DOES notice it in advance, the whole time it just sits there, it'll be freaking the player out completely. It'll turn into, "Fuck! Well?! Attack me already! Damnit! Is he just going to sit there!?!!!11" They'll be all tense and wired from something that hasn't even happened yet. :lol:

That's precisely what was happening to me and is why I suggested it. You see, normally in T2/T2X you know the spiders are around because they're making noises and walking around.

I think what scared me more was that I had already killed a walking/hissing (noisy) spider on the ground in that cavernous room and it then became silent, so I thought the coast was clear. I was still walking around, searching behind cobwebs and stuff *praying* a spider wouldn't jump from around the corner.

Then when I thought I caught a glimpse of a spider a minute later at the very apex of that room, I was like WTF!? Freaked the hell out of me. It didn't even occur to me there may be one in hiding directly above me!

I like the idea of this "decoy" to make you think you've cleared the room of spiders.

My mind then went through emotions of "Is he going to drop down if I get directly beneath him? Is he going to leap down at an angle and attack me? What will trigger him? Will one arrow shot just piss him off instead of kill him? WTF is going on here?!!?!?! " In general, it was freaky as hell for a few moments and I loved it. And wished there was a spider up there.

EDIT: Another thing that added to the moment was that the whole cavern was dark as pitch. No torches/no lights. Just ambient darkness. Minor T2X SPOILER Alert: For those who played T2X, it was on the 'Dead Man' level I think its called. First encounter of spiders in the game, I believe. Right before finding some dead guy near the entrance to the Mausoleum.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

A spider that hunts you would be cool. If you can ever listen hard enough, all you would hear is tick tick tick of its feet walking slowly, but then it would stop when you stopped moving so that you wouldn't hear it.

And then it leaps down from above and assasinates you.

Spiders in real life tend to just freeze when they thing something has heard them, rather than hide (I think), and I think this comes from birds seeing things better if they are moving, so the spider's best chance is to just freeze rather than run and hide.

So for us Thieves it would give us a chance to spot them in the darkness when they are hunting us, and for us programmers we wouldn't have to program some "hiding" ability.

Not sure if spiders would be aware they've been "heard"... but when I spot them and get close and their little eyes or light receptors (or whatever they are) notice me, they dart for darkness. Not sure how they know I'm near -- shift of light to dark? body heat? motion sensing? air shifts? -- but they often dart. If they're on the ground, they'll stop under a couch, or by a shoe or something where shadows are. Always end up in the dark, I've noticed; like a crab.

This could help create our spider AI. If a spider is in the light, make sure he heads for darkness, if he doesn't attack and if he thinks he's spotted. That would be sorta freaky to expect a spider to attack you, but instead runs off to a dark maze of tunnels or something, or up the wall into a big cobweb up high. Eww, freaks me out even thinking about having to find and hunt a spider down in Thief. Or seeing one skidderishly moving about on a cobweb.

If they freeze, I feel they would only do so for a second, or a minute. In my experience they actually usually end up running for the dark if I miss killing them with a shoe, or if I get too close to them.

• 1 month later...

You know, oDDity mentioning baby spiders above reminds me. Have you all seen spider eggs right after they hatch, when thousands of tiny, very tiny spiders randomly crawl around... just like a big gross cluster of them? They're not harmful I don't thing at this stage i life, but it's kind've gross, yet intriguing to watch them. I thought it might be cool to not only have 'adult' and smaller 'baby' spiders... but also these tiny 'infant' type spiders. Just make a cluster of tiny spiders crawling around themselves and on an object they're on. In my life, I've normallly not seen them until I lifted something up (a rock, or lid of some sort), or looked underneath the inner edge of a tire laying on the ground. One way we could implement it into Dark Mod campaign would be upon opening a chest. No loot inside, just a clump of nasty, tiny spiders crawling about and then maybe randomly scurrying away. They normally kind've break up and scurry away... or because they're so light, I think some of them float away on thread strands.

Although this is one idea for our campaign, I'm sure the modelling and programming would need to be done to allow FM authors to use them, too.

It personally would kind've freak me out, to be in a spider lair and also come across this... but maybe you don't feel the same.

One problem would be frame rates. Baby spiders are essentially the same as the adult spider model, just scaled down a bit. Having dozens or more of them on screen at once wouldn't do anyones framerate much good.

- Emil Zola

character models site