The Dark Mod Forums

Cathedral i've been working on...

AluminumHaste

Can you post what ATI video card is on your laptop? And btw desktop GPU's will always be more faster then a laptop GPU.

I'm a ATI user my self and i have no other problem with doom3 or TDM unless the normal catalyst AI one.

And please don't take this bad but imo mapping or making anything graphically intensive on a laptop is not a very good idea.

Not a problem. I'm running 2 Radeon 1GB 5870m video cards in Crossfire. I get double the FPS if I turn crossfire off, however 1 5870m is still slower in OpenGL then 2 Nvidia 260m GTX 1GB cards.

The Mobility Radeon 5870m is based on the desktop Radeon 5770 card using slower clockspeeds then the desktop part though.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870-Crossfire.29486.0.html

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I have a Mobility HD Radeon 5650 and I haven't noticed slowdowns on any FMs yet really...

I beg to differ that laptops aren't good for mapping. It means you can map during commutes or go to a cafe to hang out and map, where there's some creative energy flowing and not cooped up inside your house. I love being able to map on a laptop.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Not a problem. I'm running 2 Radeon 1GB 5870m video cards in Crossfire. I get double the FPS if I turn crossfire off, however 1 5870m is still slower in OpenGL then 2 Nvidia 260m GTX 1GB cards.

The Mobility Radeon 5870m is based on the desktop Radeon 5770 card using slower clockspeeds then the desktop part though.

http://www.notebookc...re.29486.0.html

My card is a ATI HD5770 and i have no performance problems with doom3 :) BUT i must say that i concur with you that crossfire is hit and miss and that the OpenGL drivers are far from perfect. IMO the problem with your GPU is not only the lower clockspeed (it has a important impact sure) the laptop by design controls dynamically the amount of "juice" that goes to the card, depending of course if is on charge or not, and because of the small package of the laptop body and to prevent overheating their power supplies are are also very restricted.

I have a Mobility HD Radeon 5650 and I haven't noticed slowdowns on any FMs yet really...

I beg to differ that laptops aren't good for mapping. It means you can map during commutes or go to a cafe to hang out and map, where there's some creative energy flowing and not cooped up inside your house. I love being able to map on a laptop.

Yes you can map on "the road" but for that you will need a more expensive laptop then a similar performance desktop PC, and you will have problems with the difference of performance when the laptop is plugged to when it is not and overheating will also eventually creep up, i know i have passed for this. But of course anyone is free to do what they like i'm just giving my opinion. :)

Edited by HMart

LOL thanks for the tech lesson, but you don't even know which laptop I have...

However everyone seems to miss the point; the piece of shit Nvidia cards that I removed, were almost twice as fast as these ATI cards in OpenGL. THAT is the point. I have no issues with heat, I have no issues with voltage, I have no issues with clockspeeds, I'm running a custom video bios on both cards I modded myself, because the stock one kept getting stuck in a certain power state. For example of opengl issues:

Furmark:

2x Nvidia 260mGTX: 21 fps

2x ATI 5870m: 24 fps

Minecraft:

Nvidia: 60-300fps

Ati: 10-24fps

The Dark Mod (This Cathedral map):

Nvidia: ~38 fps

ATI: 5-10 fps

Doom3:

Nvidia: 60 fps (Capped)

Ati: 40-60 fps (capped)

Overgrowth:

Nvidia: 30-200fps

ATI: 1-200fps

The Chronicles of Riddick

Nvidia: 30-60fps

Ati: Crashes or 20-40 fps

As you can see, ATI sucks the big one when it comes to OpenGL Crossfire performance. And turning off Crossfire and using 1 card is still a bit slower then the Nvidia cards together so that's not an option either.

LOL thanks for the tech lesson, but you don't even know which laptop I have...

However everyone seems to miss the point; the piece of shit Nvidia cards that I removed, were almost twice as fast as these ATI cards in OpenGL. THAT is the point. I have no issues with heat, I have no issues with voltage, I have no issues with clockspeeds, I'm running a custom video bios on both cards I modded myself, because the stock one kept getting stuck in a certain power state. For example of opengl issues:

Furmark:

2x Nvidia 260mGTX: 21 fps

2x ATI 5870m: 24 fps

Minecraft:

Nvidia: 60-300fps

Ati: 10-24fps

The Dark Mod (This Cathedral map):

Nvidia: ~38 fps

ATI: 5-10 fps

Doom3:

Nvidia: 60 fps (Capped)

Ati: 40-60 fps (capped)

Overgrowth:

Nvidia: 30-200fps

ATI: 1-200fps

The Chronicles of Riddick

Nvidia: 30-60fps

Ati: Crashes or 20-40 fps

As you can see, ATI sucks the big one when it comes to OpenGL Crossfire performance. And turning off Crossfire and using 1 card is still a bit slower then the Nvidia cards together so that's not an option either.

I don't care what laptop you have, they all follow the same principles, you are mad with ATI (AMD) we get that, but IMO what you can't do is generalize, it is known that AMD OpenGL drivers are not so good, but they aren't so bad that you will have bad performance ONLY because of them, if that was the case then ALL AMD GPU's would suffer the same fate including my card. Once again i must say i have no performance problems with my single HD5770 in doom 3 (i play with the sikkmod even) including TDM (crossfire is bad and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone) and neither on The Chronicles of Riddick, in your case crossfire can indeed be the cause of the all the problems or maybe your GPU's (or one of them) is defective either option is a valid one.

Sigh let's try this again. Running 1 5870m by itself gives...decent performance. However, in most cases of OPENGL GAMES ONLY, 1 ATI card is SLOWER then the 2 Nvidia cards I was using.

In almost every opengl game/benchmark Nvidia is better then ATI with 2 cards running together.

Also, just like me, I bet 2 Nvidia 8800Gt in SLI would be faster then your 1 5770 in Doom3, even though the 8800 nvidia card came out like 5 years ago, and your 5770 is way more powerful then both those cards put together.

Yeah. Nvidia certainly has advantages in OpenGL. We really need someone like Humus or Colourless who is an

ATI OpenGL expert to figure-out how to make Doom 3 more ATI-friendly. I understand your frustrations with them.

I've fought with their drivers too at times.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This is what I originally had in my laptop, 2 of these.

Lets add up the performance.

GeForce GTX 260M

Pixel: (2 x 8.8) 17.6 GP/s

Texture: (2 x 30.8) 61.6 GT/s

Bandwidth: 60.8 GB/s

Power: (2 x 462) 924 GFlops

Now let's do the ATI cards

Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Pixel: (2 x 11.2) 22.4 GP/s

Texture: (2 x 28) 56 GT/s

Bandwidth: 64 GB/s

Power: (2 x 1120) 2,240 GFlops

So the ATI cards are faster in every way except in texture performance. Is this enough of a difference to warrant the horrible performance I get in OpenGL games?

Yeah. Nvidia certainly has advantages in OpenGL. We really need someone like Humus or Colourless who is an

ATI OpenGL expert to figure-out how to make Doom 3 more ATI-friendly. I understand your frustrations with them.

I've fought with their drivers too at times.

I asked Humus, he is not interested at all, he also said that it's not within his realm of expertise.

I build my own exe and dll from source, again the issue is not the map really, as with the Nivida cards it ran at acceptable levels.

Just to give you an idea, with the 2 Nvidia cards I got around 40 fps in Return to the City. With 2 ATI cards with Crossfire on, I get 10-20.

• 2 weeks later...