The Dark Mod Forums

City Guard Wip

oDDity

I think it looks really nice!! Oh, how I wish I had Lightwave........... :unsure:

EDIT: One very minor crit (which may not even hold any weight, since I don't know how games usually handle this) is that the chain mail appears to be more like a fabric than actual metal. Adding more 3-D depth to the metal weave texture and perhaps just slightly more shinyness (not a lot) would help, imo.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

IT's only the high poly model, iI can't really be bothered putting much effort into the texturing, since I have to go and texture the low poly version all over again anyway.

I did forget to use the transparency alpha map on the right sleeve though :rolleyes:

Yes GIMG, I used Simon Cowel as a reference for this model :lol: (only British people will get that quip)

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I love what you've done here. The helmet and shoulder guards look amazing. I agree gold's assertion that the belt is too high, or perhaps it's that the legs look overlarge (a perspective issue?). I like the insignia as well. :)

I have a question... Are you modeling the chain main or is that done with a texture? I was thinking we could create different textures of the same guard models for different situations (different insignia, colours, etc). If the chain mail is modeled then I'll know not to design a different look with a leather coif or whatever. If it's not modeled it gives more flexibility for retexturing, but maybe texture mail looks like crap, I don't know.

Only a psychopath would model chainmail, but you can fake it with a tranparency map. THe only snag is tht you have to waste polygons modeling stuff underneath the chainmail. If you look carefully here you can see that there is nothing under this chian and you can see the background through it.

post-5-1104753540.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Maybe this one could be Benny - or generic drunken guard as we'll call him for legal reasons.

I need to neaten up that eagle insignia though, at the moment it looks like roadkill.

- Emil Zola

character models site

If these professional guards can use both melee and range weapons, shouldn't they have a scabbard and a quiver? Are these guys going to use bows or crossbows as their range weapon?

How do we handle the weapons anyway - I mean having a sword in a scabbard and then drawing it, I've no idea how weapon objects are handled. Do I just model him with an empty scabbard and then the sword is added in DoomEdit or something as a weapon? Maybe we need weapon attach bones like in UT on the hands and scabbard?

I suppose the quiver would be modeld with arrows already in it, and then when he does the animation to draw one, a real arrow can spawn in his hand.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I suppose the quiver would be modeld with arrows already in it, and then when he does the animation to draw one, a real arrow can spawn in his hand.

The quiver need also to be replaced with an empty version. So it might be better to stick the arrows in, then modelling them that way. For frobbing them.

Gerhard

I was thinking about that issue last night. A number of the guards will have both sword and bow (or crossbow).

The way it seems to be done in most games is that there is no scabbard for the sword. The sword is just stuck to the model's hips. There is an animation for drawing a sword, at which point the sword disappears from the hips and appears in his hand.

For arrows it works the same way. A quiver model is attached to the back, and there is an animation of the model reaching behind his head, then the arrow appears in his hand. I think there were always a couple frobbable arrows in the quiver in T1/2, regardless of how many he fired, but I could be wrong.

About the big boots - it's a necessity when modeling for game engine like UT and Doom. The characters tend to look smaller towards the feet because of the perspective, so you have to model a reverse perspective into the character so it looks just right in the engine.

So, no scabbards then. I'm sure ths must be possible though, I wonder why it isn't conventional to use a scabbard? I suppose because it would make it difficult to postion the weapon_sword exactly in the scabbard, but if you have the positional bones set correctly it shouldn't be a problem, and the weapon drawing and sheathing animations would take care of the rest.

THere must be some kind of problem attached to it though, since (now you mention it) I haven't seen any games with scabbards.

- Emil Zola

character models site

THere must be some kind of problem attached to it though, since (now you mention it) I haven't seen any games with scabbards.

I think it is jsut not effecient for most games, and you have to do the animations right. Not everybody will release a game in a state like T3 regarding it's animations. ;)

Gerhard

• 3 weeks later...
Wouldn't it be quite an overkill to model the chainmail? :blink: I sure don't know what it would do to the framerate. ;)

I think they were talking about for the normal maps. You model all the wrinkles, buttons, etc in 3D so that you have a good normal map for the low poly version, which doesn't have those kind of polygonal details on it.