Photo

Slovak translation (progress, screenshots, etc.)

translation translations gui translation base pack translation slovak slovak translation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

POPULAR

So, as I'm quite far into the translation of the base package now, I've decided it wouldn't be all that bad if I provided you guys with some insight into how things are going. I'll try to update this thread in regular intervals, at least bi-weekly.

First, I want to talk about some of the minor GUI issues I've run into:

GUI Font Problems and Glitches

The following paragraphs are a hopefully complete list of problems I’ve run into while translating the game's GUI into the Slovak language. The problems are sorted into issues concerning the appearance of letters in fonts, and issues stemming from the current inaccessibility of some GUI titles to translators (as they are still „visually hard-coded” at this time, in this current version). In the first issues section, I’ve listed the problems in orders of decreasing severity.

a.) Problems with letters in fonts

First problem:

The letters „ľ“ and „Ľ“ are not depicted correctly when written down. This prevents many Slovak words using these letters – particularly kľúč („key“) to be displayed correctly in-game.

My recommendation is simple: These two letters need to be added to the standard game fonts in some future language update for TDM. Naturally, only if it's in any way possible for the particular font we used for most of the menu text. (But I have a feeling it certainly is possible.)

Until then, I've decided that all Slovak translations of TDM content will replace these letters with „l“ and „L“. An improvised solution, but it at least prevents the words that would include the letter from looking weird.

Second problem:

The letters „ť“ and „Ť“ („t with a caron“ and „capital t with a caron“), while working well in the prevalent font, have some degree of aesthetic problems. The „Ť“ letter is actually all right appearance-wise, but the way the „ť“ letter is depicted makes it look a bit like it was actually the letter „t with an acute accent“ (this is a non-existant letter in real world alphabets). It’s not a major problem, certainly not on the smaller titles of the GUI, but in the GUI of the main menu, it looks rather odd and ugly.

For the time being, just for the sake of visual appeal, the more major titles in the major game menus have had the „ť“-s in them changed to „Ť“-s, since it looks a little better and less confusing that way. This is, obviously, just a temporary solution at best. But for now, it will have to do.

Third problem:

A more minor issue, but still quite annoying. The letter „á“ („a with an acute accent“) works pefectly everywhere in the game, with the sole exception being the GUI element „Enter Name“ in the Save/Load menu. It’s translated as „Zadaj názov“, but the á letter is not showing up correctly. For the time being, I’m changing the letter to a simple „a“, but this font issue will need fixing in the long term.

Fourth problem:

Issue similar to the third problem. The letter „č“ („c with a caron“), which otherwise works perfectly in the game, is replaced by an „@“ on the „Loading“ splash screen title of the mission screenshots preview gallery (the clickable one, in the previews of the mission downloader). The splash screen title is translated as „Načítavam...“, and the glitch is making it look like „Na@ítavam...“ in-game. For the time being, I’m changing the letter to a simple „c“, but again, this font issue will need fixing in the long term.

b.) Problems with untranslatable bits of the GUI

Some of the GUI titles are simply not yet available to be translated from English via the .lang files. Here’s a list of all these titles: „Load Mission“, „Save Mission“, „Description“, „Mission Statistics“, „Downloaded Missions“, „Online Mission Archive“, „Download Status“.

The popup window informing the player about all newly downloaded missions is translated fully, outside of the bit in parentheses at the end of the sentence (‘New Mission’), which for some reason remains in English. This is probably not due to an unaccessible font, but because of an algoritm I may have either overlooked, or don’t have direct access to via the .lang files. I'll probably look into this soon, there might be a solution.

Onto the screenshots...

Here's a mix of screenshots, older and newer, to show how the GUI's been shaping up:

Main menu (screenshot made when I was still running the previous version)

Audio settings (forgot about "Reverse Channels" back then, but it's getting fixed)

General gameplay settings

General control settings

Movement control settings (I've since renamed even the cursor keys)

Tool control settings

Version status popup window

Mission completed

Mission Statistics samples (from two different missions)

Do you really want to quit, yada yada...

Can't post many screenshots, so I prefer linking to them. Also, some in-game screenshots of the HUD are coming soon.

.lang files stuff

I'll be uploading the GUI .lang file (all.lang & slovak.lang) in this thread soon, so anyone of you can have a look and criticque whether the menus or the HUD text need a little rearranging to look better or not. I'll do some final tests and see if I haven't forgotten anything. But I'm sure I will no doubt overlook something, and that's partly why I need your second opinions.

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 09 September 2015 - 02:20 PM.

• Bikerdude, jaxa, nbohr1more and 2 others like this

#2 the_deep

the_deep

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

Nice work!

• Anderson and Petike the Taffer like this

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17859 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Regarding the font system in TDM, we use .DAT font files. Would it not just a case of opening our existing font image (.dat) files in a font editor and then create the missing characters you need..? for each of the font types we use?

#4 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Regarding the font system in TDM, we use .DAT font files. Would it not just a case of opening our existing font image (.dat) files in a font editor and then create the missing characters you need..? for each of the font types we use?

Trouble is, I am not really skilled at that. I might try it, though, especially if Tels won't have time to expand the existing font sets anytime soon.

Fun fact: Anytime I put the translated file into the game and run it, all words including the "l with caron" depict said letter as the (very Polish-looking) "l with a stroke". :smile: Close, but not close enough ! 

• Anderson likes this

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17859 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

Well if you find a font manager/editor that can deal with .dat files and a list of fonts that need creating I would like to help do some of them. I already found FontForge, but it only handles .ttf files.

#6 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Interesting. I'll search for some .dat-compatible font utilities if I get bored. Maybe I'll really run into something we don't know of yet. Or I'll double-check on the wiki first, there might be some notes on editing fonts burried over there.

• Anderson likes this

#7 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

Interesting. I'll search for some .dat-compatible font utilities if I get bored. Maybe I'll really run into something we don't know of yet. Or I'll double-check on the wiki first, there might be some notes on editing fonts burried over there.

Had no idea you´re from Slovakia, Petike :)

Say, weren´t you active in the old Slovak Thief fan forum - http://thief.pukaco.sk ?

#8 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

Had no idea you´re from Slovakia, Petike :)

Say, weren´t you active in the old Slovak Thief fan forum - http://thief.pukaco.sk ?

I'm afraid not. i read the forum while it was still around a few years ago, but I've only ever been a member of ttlg.com before I also came over to here.

• Anderson likes this

#9 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

I'm afraid not. i read the forum while it was still around a few years ago, but I've only ever been a member of ttlg.com before I also came over to here.

Same with me - I haven´t been am member there, but I knew about its existence.

Anyway, nice to see another "virtual expatriate" :)

#10 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

I really want to thank Petike the Taffer and Tels for all the help they could give in this translation effort!
If these issues can be overpassed, in the future making new efforts here won't cause this many problems. I'm watching this very closely! Great work!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: translation, translations, gui translation, base pack translation, slovak, slovak translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users