The Dark Mod Forums

Regarding the font system in TDM, we use .DAT font files. Would it not just a case of opening our existing font image (.dat) files in a font editor and then create the missing characters you need..? for each of the font types we use?

Trouble is, I am not really skilled at that. I might try it, though, especially if Tels won't have time to expand the existing font sets anytime soon.

Fun fact: Anytime I put the translated file into the game and run it, all words including the "l with caron" depict said letter as the (very Polish-looking) "l with a stroke". :smile: Close, but not close enough !

• Like 1

Interesting. I'll search for some .dat-compatible font utilities if I get bored. Maybe I'll really run into something we don't know of yet. Or I'll double-check on the wiki first, there might be some notes on editing fonts burried over there.

• Like 1

Interesting. I'll search for some .dat-compatible font utilities if I get bored. Maybe I'll really run into something we don't know of yet. Or I'll double-check on the wiki first, there might be some notes on editing fonts burried over there.

Had no idea you´re from Slovakia, Petike :)

Say, weren´t you active in the old Slovak Thief fan forum - http://thief.pukaco.sk ?

• Like 1

Had no idea you´re from Slovakia, Petike :)

Say, weren´t you active in the old Slovak Thief fan forum - http://thief.pukaco.sk ?

I'm afraid not. i read the forum while it was still around a few years ago, but I've only ever been a member of ttlg.com before I also came over to here.

• Like 1

I'm afraid not. i read the forum while it was still around a few years ago, but I've only ever been a member of ttlg.com before I also came over to here.

Same with me - I haven´t been am member there, but I knew about its existence.

Anyway, nice to see another "virtual expatriate" :)

I really want to thank Petike the Taffer and Tels for all the help they could give in this translation effort!
If these issues can be overpassed, in the future making new efforts here won't cause this many problems. I'm watching this very closely! Great work!

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 years later...

It's been some two years, and even the base game has now been expanded quite a bit, but I'm still working on finding some time to update and finally finish my translation.

Most of the GUI stuff was already translated in-depth by the beginning of 2016. Ever since I've gradually updated to new versions of TDM, I've also expanded the translation accordingly. My main bugbear is starting anew each time a new version comes out - I can't use the same language file, so I have to copy the existing stuff anew every single time TDM gets a new version. Me and Anderson have also struggled a bit with finding certain lines in the more recent versions. I can't seem to find the line that has the title of the inventory grid (and obviously, I wouldn't like to leave a single control key untranslated in the settings menu).

At this point, the missions need the most work, especially the newer one that now precedes The Tears of St. Lucia in the mini-campaign. I'll attempt to find some time for working on (and if all goes well, finishing) the translation in November. Hopefully I'll be able to meet a deadline at least by the time TDM 2.07 rolls around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working on transfering my previous GUI translation (from around the time of version 2.03) to the current (2.05) GUI file (all.lang in strings). Almost done. I might even test it out this evening. I'd like to catch up with my previous efforts ASAP, as I still need to do some translating for the St. Lucia mission and especially the training mission. (Sadly, I have probably lost my previous .lang file with translated bits from the training mission, so I'll probably have to redo that effort from scratch.)

To my surprise, the latest base package mission "A New Job" apparently doesn't have a strings folder at all. So, as far as text translation goes, I'll probably just do a readme translation for that one. Since everything story-relevant seems to be a direct part of either the briefing vid or the custom voiceover files for that mission.

Subtitles would be a really cool feature to have in TDM. That way, I could maybe theoretically translate even those FMs that don't have conventional strings folders.

----

Update: Good news, I still have my file for the half-finished training mission translation ! Wonderful discovery. Now to finally nip the effort in the bud, since I still need to figure out the exact process of creating a translated mission package. (Haven't tried it before, only the GUI.)

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update !

I should be finished within a week, hopefully, along with testing. Wish me luck.

I might need some help with packaging the translated missions, from more knowledgeable modders.

• Like 2

I should be finished within a week

Evening

Linking from a related thread - http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18828-romanian-gui-issue-request-for-bugtracker/?do=findComment&comment=405642, can you confirm if you have managed to fix the broken fonts..?

Anderson linked a copy of tdm_base_01.pk4 where its not broken - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82Nuxua9A8DNEZjTFg2N3ZNOVU/view?usp=sharing

If you need a hand packaging, I think nbohr1more can help with that.

• Like 3

Evening

Linking from a related thread - http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18828-romanian-gui-issue-request-for-bugtracker/?do=findComment&comment=405642, can you confirm if you have managed to fix the broken fonts..?

Anderson linked a copy of tdm_base_01.pk4 where its not broken - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82Nuxua9A8DNEZjTFg2N3ZNOVU/view?usp=sharing

If you need a hand packaging, I think nbohr1more can help with that.

No, I haven't fixed the broken fonts. Partly because I lack the expertise to do so. (Though would love to learn it.)

I've detailed the font issue earlier in this thread, in the opening post. It's just some 3 or 4 letters for the fonts. While I'm testing today and this weekend, I'll keep an eye out for any other font errors I might come across.

And thank you, I will contact him once I get to making translated copies of the missions. All in all, we might get this finished before the holidays.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Content lock on the GUI translation and the Training mission. :)B)

I'm still proofreading the Tears of St. Lucia, but should be finished shortly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed the issues mentioned in the bug notes: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4523#bugnotes

Originally, I wanted to list all the updates in this post, but I've opted to update the original post instead. It's just far easier having the current state of the translation listed all in one place. Please click the second link and see the original post upthread for details.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The good news is, I'll finish my final revisions for the GUI (not many) and the training mission (a few necessary edits) this week.

The bad news is, due to certain official font updating done for 2.06, I am forced to postpone fixing the numerous font issues, so you'll have to wait for version 2.07 at the earliest. It's not that bad, as I have more time to devote to the effort, which is fairly time-consuming.

• Like 1

So when you commit your changes this week, do those get merged into 2.06, or will everything wait until the complete solution is ready in 2.07?

The current version will be 2.06 compatible. I have already added the new strings for 2.06 to the lang file, but feel free to edit them if they turn out to be in the wrong place.

I'm leaving all of the font editing for 2.07. There's just too much work with it for now. I'd rather have one basic milestone reached (the translation being in the game, though without diacritics) than postponing a completed translation again.

The updated .lang files for the GUI will be linked to in the opening post.

Right now, I'm still struggling a bit to get all the text in the readables and hints of the Training Mission to fit the space limitations. You really can't stuff too much text on certain pages or on the hints. In a few cases, it's a real headache getting the gist across within such limited space, in a language that has (on average) longer words than English.

• Like 1