I hope this isn't a useless thread, just thought it would be constructive to let everyone know about it. I was looking up some TDM related concerns, and accidentally stumbled across another fork of the idTech4 engine. It's called fhDOOM, and it seems to have a lot of neat graphical improvements over the stock engine.
There are definitely things in there that TDM could consider grabbing! Some important ones highlighted on their front page:
- Modern renderer based on OpenGL 3.3 core profile. Any up-to-date engine should have this as a norm.
- Parallax mapping. Not sure if we have this already... I only know the original engine had simple bump mapping.
- Soft shadows. A heavily desired and long awaited feature.
- Alpha textures affecting shadows. This allows light to shine through textured grates, which is a very beautiful improvement.
- Soft particles. This one we already have now however.
An example of the old lighting system (ours) versus lighting with shadow mapping (fhDOOM):
As the obstacle to new features is almost always finding someone willing to code them, discovering those improvements for our engine is a goldmine... since unless they conflict with any of our changes, I assume they should be easy to just plug into the code. Can any of this good stuff please be considered for inclusion in TDM's version of the engine?